Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Sgt_Simple

Future New PC

I would change a couple things:

• There is no SSD. I strongly suggest investing in one. If you get a 60Gb drive, you can fit Windows, Star Citizen and a couple more games/programs, with some storage management, and put everything else on your Hard. If you go one step further and get a 120Gb SSD, you can put almost all programs you will ever need on that, as long as you make sure nothing is on there that doesn't benefit from being on an SSD. It will make all of your s**t boot and load faster.
  • The screen seems a tad small. Maybe think about a 1920x1024 one? I know I could hardly go back to a smaller one than that.
  • Some people might send me nasty letters for this, but get Windows 8.1. If nothing else, it utilizes your components better. The GUI is difficult to get used to, but actually works quite well after you learn your way around it. You're gonna upgrade sooner or later, so why not sooner?

Looks good besides that.

If budget allows it, I'd go for this GPU: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyt ... vn770oc4gd
4GB instead of 2GB.
I have that one, and I'm pretty happy with it. :)

I don't understand the monitor choice either. 18.5" is tiny, it doesn't even support Full HD and only has a VGA connection, no DVI/HDMI.
At very least get this one: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs228hr
22", FullHD and HDMI/DVI

Besides that, I can only echo Venn. These days you'll want an SSD, and there's no reason to get Win7, just go for Win 8.

Edit:
As for the Win 8 GUI, just install Classic Shell and forget about the Metro interface alltogether.

Hey there man, welcome to TA! Now, on to your build:

1. You MUST include and SSD. The best analogy would be spending your enire life eating soup with your hand or a knife/fork, and someone suddenly hands you a spoon. It's just THAT good.

• If you want to minimize the risk for trouble, get 2 x 8GB RAM's instead of 4 x 4GB. The fewer components your computer is made of, the less are available to break.

• GREAT choice of CPU.

• Like Rayden mentioned, try to go for a 4GB or more GPU if the budget allows it. It will last you longer, and you should even be able to buy another card in the future for SLI graphics goodness. No specs have been released yet, but I'm doubting a single 770 handling all of Star Citizens graphics.

• Try to aim for a 1920x1080 monitor. Size is less of an issue, since some prefer small screens and some prefer large. I prefer HUGE screens :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . That being said, north of 21'' should suffice.

• Win7 > Win8

Keep us updated Sarge.

thank you all for your advice some great feed back

I prob should have mentioned that the monitor on the build is an infill i already have a monitor plus where my pc is situated i can connect it to my 56 inch tv

reason for the 770 was to get a 2nd at a later date so i could connect them together and play arma 3 in ultra settings never considered the ram of it nice spot

ssd also never considered and the analogy helped my technical know how stopped being up to date around the pentium 4 era

if any one feels like posting a build using http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ for under £1000 that's better that mine i would be grateful also

1- I would try and upgrade the monitor... Asus makes great 23 inch screens.
2- Your ram is fine... but I would try and future proof it by seeing if you can find 2 sticks of 8GB for a similar price.
3- I agree with above replys on adding an SD... I built a computer earlier this year as a newbie.. and wish I got a SD card vs a Hybrid.

Also... for 15 bucks, I would get a.... not sure of teh word for it... its is for your wrist to prevent static so you do not risk damaging part when putting it together.

4- Also... just for the cool factor, you could spend 50 on a corsair liquid cooling system! You can always do that later on.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NrW88d

Going £23 over budget. :)

- Liquid cooling, can be dropped to stay under the £1000 limit.
- 8GB ram instead of 16GB, right now you really don't need more then 8GB. There are no games at this point (that I know) that demand more then 6GB. You can always add an additional 2x4GB next year.
- SSD added, 240GB is more then enough for Windows, programs and a good number of games. You could go down to 120GB but then you'll need to be much more selective to what games go on the SSD.
- 2x TB hdd's, you'll want to run these in RAID0. Much faster then a single HDD and you won't run out of space for a while.
- Still the GTX770, but a 4GB edition.
- DVD drive, you didn't have one in your original build.
- Win 8 instead of 7. Note: I picked 8 and not 8.1 because it was £7 cheaper. :) You can install the 8.1 update yourself for free.

Well i guess one option would be to drop the 16 Gb ram pack and go for an 8 gb pack then downgade the cpu from an i7 to somthing like an i5 4570k then put the savings towards a better gpu. I dont think the game will require any more than 8 gb of system memory or really require a cpu with 8 threads and i think 4 should be fine.

I would change a couple things:
  • There is no SSD. I strongly suggest investing in one. If you get a 60Gb drive, you can fit Windows, Star Citizen and a couple more games/programs, with some storage management, and put everything else on your Hard. If you go one step further and get a 120Gb SSD, you can put almost all programs you will ever need on that, as long as you make sure nothing is on there that doesn't benefit from being on an SSD. It will make all of your s**t boot and load faster.
  • The screen seems a tad small. Maybe think about a 1920x1024 one? I know I could hardly go back to a smaller one than that.
  • Some people might send me nasty letters for this, but get Windows 8.1. If nothing else, it utilizes your components better. The GUI is difficult to get used to, but actually works quite well after you learn your way around it. You're gonna upgrade sooner or later, so why not sooner?

Looks good besides that.

I agree about getting an SSD, as someone who has one I couldn't go back to a system without one. I just know that 60 GB for a windows system is too small. Windows will fit (barely) and adding games will just be near-impossible. Once temp files accumulate, there will be storage space issues.. I recommend 90GB minimum and in terms of price, 120GB will be best value.

For Windows 8.1, you guessed it... I don't recommend. You are right. It is faster than WIN 7, but not by much, maybe a 10-15% increase in boot times and overall performance. The main issue with WIN 8.1 is not really the UI because like you said, you could just get used to it. The main issue with WIN 8.1 is that there and significantly less addons that are compatible with it. Let me explain: any new product that has a driver (certain external HDDs, media boxes, USB sound cards, USB capture cards, etc.) will have issues with WIN 8.1 unless it specifically says it is compatible with 8.1. And even then, some are still not compatible.

''Here is a red bean, here is a blue one. You may choose only one.''

If budget allows it, I'd go for this GPU: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyt ... vn770oc4gd
4GB instead of 2GB.
I have that one, and I'm pretty happy with it. :)

I don't understand the monitor choice either. 18.5" is tiny, it doesn't even support Full HD and only has a VGA connection, no DVI/HDMI.
At very least get this one: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs228hr
22", FullHD and HDMI/DVI

Besides that, I can only echo Venn. These days you'll want an SSD, and there's no reason to get Win7, just go for Win 8.

Edit:
As for the Win 8 GUI, just install Classic Shell and forget about the Metro interface alltogether.

The only time a GPU with more than 2 GB of GDDR5 is necessary at this point in time is either for multi-monitor setups (NVidia Surround or AMD Eyefinity) or if you have a 4k monitor. Other than that 2 GB of GDDR5 will suffice. I am currently using a Gigabyte GTX 770 OC Edition with 2 GB GDDR5 and I run most games on ultra settings @ 1920x1080 above 60FPS.

Hey there man, welcome to TA! Now, on to your build:

1. You MUST include and SSD. The best analogy would be spending your enire life eating soup with your hand or a knife/fork, and someone suddenly hands you a spoon. It's just THAT good.

• If you want to minimize the risk for trouble, get 2 x 8GB RAM's instead of 4 x 4GB. The fewer components your computer is made of, the less are available to break.

• GREAT choice of CPU.

• Like Rayden mentioned, try to go for a 4GB or more GPU if the budget allows it. It will last you longer, and you should even be able to buy another card in the future for SLI graphics goodness. No specs have been released yet, but I'm doubting a single 770 handling all of Star Citizens graphics.

• Try to aim for a 1920x1080 monitor. Size is less of an issue, since some prefer small screens and some prefer large. I prefer HUGE screens :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . That being said, north of 21'' should suffice.

• Win7 > Win8

Keep us updated Sarge.

I already posted about 4GB GPUs so I'll limit this post to the concept of SLI/Crossfire.
If you are looking to upgrade your setup with more GPU power, I would always recommend to get a better SINGLE card. If necessary, the best (by best I mean a GTX Titan or a 780 Ti, the Titan Z is just stupid and the AMD R9 295 will heat up your house EVEN during winter time xD).

Sticking to ONE GOOD GPU will:
- save you money on power
- if you had a PSU under 850Watts, you will not have to get more wattage
- less heat in the overall chassis
- less noise
- many games do not support SLI/Crossfire (there are more now than ever before, but it's still a small fraction compared to the potential quantity of games that are being played today)
- you will have WAY less driver issues with new release games

The only real logical reason for multi-GPU setups is for esthetic, but even then... spending 100s if not 1000s of $ on esthetics is not in the average person's budget.