Tactical Advance
Sign in to follow this  
22Actual

Speculation - Where are you going to live?

So I've had a lot of time to think about this, just like a lot of you, and I'm thinking the Ellis System will be my 'port of call' and here's why I believe this may, or may not, be the best choice for me: (Home hangar not necessarily my 'main' hangar)

1. Home of the Murray Cup
    At this moment I'd love to make a career out of racing in game.
  2. Well established planet
    both UEE and Underground (not full blown piracy but gambling etc)
  3. Will definitely have room for my Revel And York hangar
    For my 'port of call' I would want the extremely clean and fancy hangar after returning from a fringe planet, or living on a ship for a week.

Other considerations
Wherever the org chooses as a base planet I will obviously put a hangar in. If we're going to be on a fringe planet, the R&Y hangar will not be an option. If it's extremely fringe the asteroid hangar may be the best bet.

So from here, nearly a year and half before the expected release i propose a few questions:

For the leadership/TA Where do you see the starting location be? Maybe not a specific system but what are the factors are we looking for?

For us regular folk: Where will you put your hangar(s)?

There are many, many factors that will go into choosing a starting base.

First, we need to see an official map. We have unofficial versions, of course (http://starcitizen.mojoworld.com/StarMap/#), but we don't know how drastically different they might be. How many jumps from system X to system Y? Except for specific systems, we don't know. Likewise, we don't much about planets and resources for most systems.

We need more info about how big systems will be and how long they take to cross. This determines things like how long it will take to group up for team activities, defending static assets, and getting supplies to trade nodes. If it actually takes several hours to cross the galaxy, choosing a quality base becomes much more important.

We need more info about player and org-owned assets. How expensive will they be? Will operating a dozen nodes be feasible, or will one take up all of our time and money? Choosing a starting location to focus on one core area is going to be a lot different than choosing one that's a hub for many.

We need more info about how safe systems will be. Will UEE space be boring and unprofitable? I don't expect SC to mirror Eve, but we might end up in lawless space to make the most money. There's also the possibility that we won't have enough security personnel to defend assets in a system we might otherwise want to inhabit.

To go along with that, we need to know where the valuable trade routes and resources will be. Should we be next to Vanduul space because that's where CIG will put the valuable mining sites? Will that be too dangerous? Should we be between the UEE and Banu because lots of trading will happen there? Should we be near the core so we can spread out evenly to all areas?

We need to think about what hangars our players will have. That probably elimintates asteroid hangars, at least for a starting base. We should expect to choose a planet that can support self land hangars, which is just about everywhere.

I find that it can be dangerous to go to much into details this far from official launch.
Lets say we find the perfect spot for our organization, and we actually get to play there and settle all our members out from there.

Then at launch they do some last minute changes to the system(s) we have chosen to balance the game.
Well then maybe that/those place/places will be completely wrong for us.
It will cause a lot of confusion tried it before, i'm not saying we cant go around speculating what places could suit our needs but we should be hesitating about making a decisions before everything about the game is "written in stone" so to speak.

Personally I have not read to much about the planets yet as I would like to experience them before reading to much just so it does not ruin the experience of discovering them in game.

I will note that discovering a new jump point and not publicising it means you effectively own what's on the other side. Spaces like this will exist as player assets, as Chris has noted, and can be kept and defended by orgs.

So, we find a jump point to a system with no other jump points (or just one), and take it over. We will hug it and feed it and call it George....

I will note that discovering a new jump point and not publicising it means you effectively own what's on the other side. Spaces like this will exist as player assets, as Chris has noted, and can be kept and defended by orgs.

So, we find a jump point to a system with no other jump points (or just one), and take it over. We will hug it and feed it and call it George....

Hey, here's malogos again to rain on everyone's parade!

For this to happen...

We'd need to find this new system before anyone else. I'm estimating maybe 2M people at launch, and that will translate to at least a couple hundred thousand explorers. We have a lot of good people in our org that will be exploring, don't get me wrong, but we'll still need luck.

The system might be rich in minerals or something, but it will obviously be empty of NPCs. Without that, we won't have many trade partners. Everything we want to buy or sell will need to shipped in or out.

I'm guessing there will be few to no systems that only have one jump point. Even if one does, that means it's 'system locked', and we'd basically have to ensure transit rights in the adjacent system too.

CIG has also said that we probably won't be able to build our own space station or land bases (just rent/occupy existing ones), so we wouldn't be able to have a permanent base there.

Without a permanent base, there would be no hangars or factories/trade nodes, and we'd need a carrier or something to house us. It would need to be online all the time. So we'd have to defend this system in shifts 24/7/365.

.... so, I think it would make a good mining base or possible end-game goal, but owning a 'new' system is going to be very hard.

I will be working my butt off to get an idris, anyone willing to help would be very welcome. After I get it I will be willing to be a mobile base and mover. Looking forward to the pu. This is going to be fun. Let's plan it to work be.

Fly dangerously,
Redlack