Tactical Advance
Sign in to follow this  
Venn

Nukes in space

Somebody pointed out in teamspeak recently that nuclear weapons would be useless in a vacuum, since there is no air to carry over the blast wave and thermal radiation, so I did some digging (about 15 seconds of googling) and found this interesting article: http://history.nasa.gov/conghand/nuclear.htm. You can see that it is reliable because of the complete absence of web design of that page.

In short, a 20 kilotonne nuke (such as the one detonated over Nagasaki in WW II) detonated in atmo will level most structures within 1 mile and cause medium burns to organic matter within 2. Its nuclear radiation however, will initially affect an area smaller than the burn radius.

In space, there is indeed no blast or thermal wave, so ship hulls should be relatively safe, even close to the blast. But here's the catch - it will kill everyone on board, and then everyone on the nearby station as well. You see, at sea level, the atmosphere dampens and suffocates the deadly radiation, but in space, that same 20kt ordnance spreads in deadly dosage over up to 15 miles around the blast. The article also points out that 20kt is a very light, early nuclear load, and there are possibilities of bombs of several megatonnes being detonated (probably more even with today's destructive technology), so these weapons would essentially eliminate all life within hundreds of miles, while keeping most hardware intact.

This is something I've had an interest of before and found some info on it. Apparently, just because there is vacuum in space doesn't mean there is no blast wave as space still contains dust and smaller elements. I don't know how true this is but it's plausible.

So what would be a type of weapon that would have that sort of widespread devastating effect in space? Some sort of gravity weapon, like something that produces a black-hole type gravity event that effs up nearby ships? I like the idea of there being super rare but super effective weapons in the universe.

I would think nukes in space would be quite common and be used as an impact weapon on large vessels (maybe even in mining), simply due to its explosive-to-containment ratio, rather than an area of effect weapon in space.

The radioactive area of effects on other ships near by maybe an added bonus but some ships might have better shields than others to negate this effect.

I can think of an EMP as an AoE weapon to disable ships in a radius, cheaper than making a black-hole. Can't say that making a singularity is impossible, there are research papers on this topic as to how one might make an artificial black-hole. From purposely destroying a star to focusing powerful lasers at a point to create a super-high density point in space to theoretically create a singularity.

Although a nuke blasted by itself would not do much in terms of kinetic damage to nearby objects... (again not much to transfer the energy) a nuke used as a ship buster (would be shot like a missle, and be designed to first penetrate and then go off) would make a frag grenade out of a space ship.. lots of deadly shrapnel going very fast in every direction... Shields up!!!

Not sure how much that would potentially shield and possibly limit the overall range of the radiation, but that shrapnel will damage other hardware.

If all we want is pure destruction we should really focus on kinetic energy. Instead of having complex weapons like a gravity gun or some sort of black hole slingshot we just need to send mass at a high enough velocity to create havoc. An Idris with an electromagnetic tube running the length of the ship firing rounds of depleted uranium and tungsten would probably destroy anything. And for those who recognize this, yes I'm a Halo fan.

So what would be a type of weapon that would have that sort of widespread devastating effect in space? Some sort of gravity weapon, like something that produces a black-hole type gravity event that effs up nearby ships? I like the idea of there being super rare but super effective weapons in the universe.

Wormhole weapon. Mic drop. :pirate:
RSqpmUQINE8

Wormhole weapon. Mic drop. :pirate:
RSqpmUQINE8

Oh I loved the Farscape series. Apparently a movie or new tv series is in the works, and I am not someone who says no to more of something I love, even if it's a reboot.

If all we want is pure destruction we should really focus on kinetic energy. Instead of having complex weapons like a gravity gun or some sort of black hole slingshot we just need to send mass at a high enough velocity to create havoc. An Idris with an electromagnetic tube running the length of the ship firing rounds of depleted uranium and tungsten would probably destroy anything. And for those who recognize this, yes I'm a Halo fan.

sCoHT_cHPzY

Made me think of this old gem

sCoHT_cHPzY

Made me think of this old gem

Amen! Looking forward to the new Mass Effect. And remember, if you fire the weapon while traveling at 0,2c, which will be the max speed in SC, you add the speed of the ship to the speed the round has out of the barrel. The result is, a vey big bang.

Amen! Looking forward to the new Mass Effect.

Nah. The games went from good to bad to complete s**t by the third installment. Shame really, because the setting is great and some parts of even the third game is good, but I have no faith at all.

There's a new ME coming out?

Unfortunately yes.

Nah. The games went from good to bad to complete s**t by the third installment. Shame really, because the setting is great and some parts of even the third game is good, but I have no faith at all.

Unfortunately yes.

Strongly disagree, everyone complained to no end about the ending of the third one, other than that they only got better. Best "series"(proper series, planned out, not like COD or sports games that fall out of the sky every year) of games i've ever played, they had a story that actually made sense from game to game. The gameplay only become more refined and it had a fantastically well refined cinematic experience. So much story telling, and the kind "I" like. I didn't "expect" the ending to be any particular way, so i was not disappointed with it. It was the ending to a game i really liked and enjoyed so even if it was awesome... no more playing to be had :-(

Not sure how i feel about another mass effect though... I don't see how it will fit in well when you compare the level of the previous three games being so well planned out in terms of story and primary events between them. Even just the concept of the universe was brilliant, has the Majesty of something like star wars but with its own uniqueness and charm.

@ Venn - Agree knowledge is key, if you can know where your enemy is before they know where you are you already won, you have all the power of choice. Even if they are more powerful you can try to movie pieces such that events play out in your favor. Not to mention knowledge of technology, merica figured out the atom bomb, japan lost.

Strongly disagree, everyone complained to no end about the ending of the third one, other than that they only got better. Best "series"(proper series, planned out, not like COD or sports games that fall out of the sky every year) of games i've ever played, they had a story that actually made sense from game to game. The gameplay only become more refined and it had a fantastically well refined cinematic experience. So much story telling, and the kind "I" like. I didn't "expect" the ending to be any particular way, so i was not disappointed with it. It was the ending to a game i really liked and enjoyed so even if it was awesome... no more playing to be had :-(

Despite the huge plot holes?
Despite Kai Leng?
Despite the enormous branching problems of the third game?
Despite that we were told the choices we made would impact the ending, and then litterally NOTHING changed?

i.e. to last point, Anderson might be a councilor, Udina, might be a councilor. No difference. Same with the rachni queen, saving the Council, Tali's loyalty mission, destroying or rewriting the geth heretics, curing the f**king genophage, destroyed or saved the collector base? None of that made any difference.

Despite that ANYONE could die? Doesn't make any difference.
Despite that paragon or renegade made no difference?

I could go on. Mass Effect 3 is a terrible f**king game by every standard, except for the gunplay. The story is f**king atrocious, and I regret playing it. I wish Mass Effect would have been a single, standalone game without franchising.

In comparison, ME2, which was just a bland, unnessecary, "meh" (not BAD though) kind of game, looks like a masterpiece in comparison. The sequels is just a prime example of wasted potential set up by the first game.

I have so many problems with ME3 and only less than half of them are related directly to the ending.

Anyway, other than giant rail guns, there are Gamma-ray bursts (GRBs). [http://astro.berkeley.edu/research/grbs/grbinfo.html]

These are narrow jets of intense flash of gamma rays, lasting anywhere from a fraction of a second to up to a few minutes. As far as we know to date, these are the most powerful naturally occurring explosions in space cause by exploding stars that turn into a white dwarf (or a black hole). They've been compared to mass extinction events to complete planet atomisers.

Edited by Dr. Albert Greene
fixed broken link