Hero
22Actual

Top speeds will change

About time. Ships shouldn't be regulated by a top speed either, granted the faster you go the harder it is to maneuver, and there will be "speed limits", but out in open space you should be able to take that risk to travel and accelerate as much as you want. They want a true space sim, this is one of the boundaries they have to over come.

In this weeks 10FTP they confirmed they are looking at redesigning the top speed model for flight.  They also mentioned that now with 64bit precision they can have ships travel faster than 500m/s

At the 24m15s mark:

​People are having trouble avoiding ships, obstacles even with current speeds :D So everybodie is going to crash everywhere once the spedd gets increased :D

So everybodie is going to crash everywhere once the spedd gets increased :D

​I feel like this will make it very profitable for a tow truck/quick repairs service, for people who crash their ships in the PU :P or everyone is just going to have to be a lot more careful when they are flying around

First, just because ships can go over 500m/s doesn't mean they'll let them. Trying to dogfight at 500m/s would not be interesting.

​Fighting any ship would suddenly feel like fighting an M50. Speed away, return, shoot a couple shots that might hit, rinse and repeat. I would probably start getting annoying fast indeed.

First, just because ships can go over 500m/s doesn't mean they'll let them. Trying to dogfight at 500m/s would not be interesting.

​Just because it's unorthodox doesn't mean they shouldn't let people do it. They already stated that there will be speed limits and it will be up to us to follow those. But out in space away from high traffic, If you can go those speeds why not? It'd your risk, your ship. They're designing a game where you can do anything. Why would they limit one of the main things about the game? I welcome this change. I also welcome burning my fuel up in 5mins for going 3,000m/s in an M50. Sometimes just because you can do it doesn't mean you should but when or if you do, you have fun doing it at a cost.

Instant blackouts lol.....all of that thrust just punching through to speed...M50 is F1 of space so yeah, blackout time!

​Not true. In space everything is in constant motion. Meaning if you're going the same speed as the object or objects around you it won't feel like anything. Such as docking with a carrier in space. De-couple and just float your way onto the platform or inside the hanger, whether you're going 1m/s or 1,000m/s. 

​Not true. In space everything is in constant motion. Meaning if you're going the same speed as the object or objects around you it won't feel like anything. Such as docking with a carrier in space. De-couple and just float your way onto the platform or inside the hanger, whether you're going 1m/s or 1,000m/s. 

​Donut some long dead chap came up with some rule it went something like this.

Newton's laws of motion

Second law:

The vector sum of the external forces F on an object is equal to the mass m of that object multiplied by the acceleration vector a of the object: F = ma.

Speed or velocity have nothing to do with blacking/reding out its all about the acceleration.

Please don't make me start quoting centrifugal force formulas just like the Dr Banner you really wont like me if you make me do that :P

Edited by Nicotinee

Well in fairness the point he making is right, if you're both going in the same direction everything is relative.  The differences come into play when you meet another object traveling at a different velocity:

He's what our solar system looks like as we travel through space:
tumblr_mj0vvcqnZx1qdlh1io1_400.gif
It might feel like we're standing still, but we aren't, relatively speaking though we are. 

Edit: Because there's no drag in space the orbit remain constant.

Edited by 22Actual