Hero
Optix334

A Warp Drive is in Humanity's Future

Disclaimer: No, this is not definitive proof of a warp drive. This is more of a proof of concept for manipulating space-time to negate relativity. 

So, long ago (early 2000's), a man named Roger J. Shawyer developed a spacecraft engine that made the scientific community pretty angry. Enter the Electromagnetic (EM) Drive. This drive could theoretically propel spacecraft without the use of any propellant. This is where the scientific community got angry. The research was solid, however it was not peer reviewed well, and it directly conflicted with the Theory of Relativity. 

Skip ahead to 2015. Nasa has engineers looking into the EM drive, cause fuel-less space engines would be amazing, and they discover something fascinating. Some of the lasers shot into the EM drive's resonance chamber have been recorded travelling faster than the speed of light. Now, whether they are breaking the light barrier is something to be seen still. All we know so far is that they are travelling faster than the stated speed of light constant (300,000,000 m/s), which is something that Humans have put down as light-speed. In order to do this, the lasers would have to be creating space-time "bubbles" in order to go faster than light.

If Humanity can extrapolate from this, it might be possible to create a large scale warp drive for a spacecraft. Create a bubble around the ship, so essentially the ship would be stationary, but the bubble would hurdle through space at FLT speeds. If this proves to be true, we wouldn't even need to overcome acceleration for its effects on the human body. 

What do you guys think? Am I a complete moron, or is Nasa on to something?

If we would be able to use more of the 10% actual used of our actual brain we would all be able to be telepathic and then there would be no need to do such things cause we could travel everywhere with our minds, and for myself no i don't believe this science fiction stuff, but i like those thoughts about it cause its entertaining & fun to think about it to a point. ;-)

(Don't be mad at me i have my own believes in that sort of things and won't tell or try to tell anyone about it cause it would possible cause great conflicts...

and i don't want that - cause i love most of the people & folks (except for those psychopaths) out there and different kind and sorts of believes but in my opinion everything we where told about, in school, universities and so on is totally controlled in my thinking.)

No you're not crazy. However, we still have to battle getting ships out of earths gravitational pull. Right now that's our biggest concern. I'm worried that if we warp within atmosphere it'll just kill us because of gravity. I may be wrong but space warp shouldn't be mixed with ordinary travelling inside a planets gravity. Either we'll end up who knows where or we'll be dead from the forces acted on the body...

If we would be able to use more of the 10% actual used of our actual brain we would all be able to be telepathic and then there would be no need to do such things cause we could travel everywhere with our minds, and for myself no i don't believe this science fiction stuff, but i like those thoughts about it cause its entertaining & fun to think about it to a point. ;-)

(Don't be mad at me i have my own believes in that sort of things and won't tell or try to tell anyone about it cause it would possible cause great conflicts...

and i don't want that - cause i love most of the people & folks (except for those psychopaths) out there and different kind and sorts of believes but in my opinion everything we where told about, in school, universities and so on is totally controlled in my thinking.)

​Too much of that Lucy movie for you m8.

​But we do! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_the_brain_myth

Also, this isn't science fiction. They actually shot lasers into an EM drive's resonance chamber and recorded them going FTL. There are only two questions. 1: Whether the readings were correct, and 2: given 1 is correct, how can we replicate it to encapsulate larger craft?

No you're not crazy. However, we still have to battle getting ships out of earths gravitational pull. Right now that's our biggest concern. I'm worried that if we warp within atmosphere it'll just kill us because of gravity. I may be wrong but space warp shouldn't be mixed with ordinary travelling inside a planets gravity. Either we'll end up who knows where or we'll be dead from the forces acted on the body...

​With massive ships, its more than likely going to be constructed in pieces and launched, or built entirely in orbit. 

As far as warp in-atmosphere, it shouldn't be too much of a concern. The lasers already created the bubbles around themselves in the resonance chamber without any negative effects. However with the need for a resonance chamber, its a lot more likely that a warp gate would be constructed before a warp drive. Create a large EM Drive resonance chamber  that a ship can drive into, and shoot it into the depths of space.

​But we do! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_the_brain_myth

Also, this isn't science fiction. They actually shot lasers into an EM drive's resonance chamber and recorded them going FTL. There are only two questions. 1: Whether the readings were correct, and 2: given 1 is correct, how can we replicate it to encapsulate larger craft?

​With massive ships, its more than likely going to be constructed in pieces and launched, or built entirely in orbit. 

As far as warp in-atmosphere, it shouldn't be too much of a concern. The lasers already created the bubbles around themselves in the resonance chamber without any negative effects. However with the need for a resonance chamber, its a lot more likely that a warp gate would be constructed before a warp drive. Create a large EM Drive resonance chamber  that a ship can drive into, and shoot it into the depths of space.

​So basically... Cowboy Bebop got it right this whole time

It sure sounds interesting, and if they pull it off I'm sure it'll be ground breaking. Would be cool to see a fire being lit under the Space Programs, get some more funding into there and start perhaps building a moon base. Or perhaps the Elon Musk dream, live on Mars?

It sure sounds interesting, and if they pull it off I'm sure it'll be ground breaking. Would be cool to see a fire being lit under the Space Programs, get some more funding into there and start perhaps building a moon base. Or perhaps the Elon Musk dream, live on Mars?

We should be diverting most of the world's profit into studying various forms of space travel, but we know that will never happen.

As far as the Mars thing, I'm pretty confident we will have a colony there before I die. Things like Mars One are already pushing the issue, and our spacecraft are getting better and better.

We should be diverting most of the world's profit into studying various forms of space travel, but we know that will never happen.

As far as the Mars thing, I'm pretty confident we will have a colony there before I die. Things like Mars One are already pushing the issue, and our spacecraft are getting better and better.

​Agreed, science is awesome! More money pls. lol

And yeah, Elon Musk says he'll have ships on Mars within 2020 I believe he said. And NASA in 2035 or something. Soon after there's probably going to be a test phase, and to get to other planets Mars is a very good stopping place to build a refueling base (although this won't really be needed with the new engines you pointed out lol) and yeah, it's an interesting subject and time we live in. Haha