Tactical Advance
Sign in to follow this  
Rumged

Racing Ship?

I have been looking in to racing ships the last week or so. It made me think what is a racing ships?

We all know that the Origin 350R, M50 and Consolidated Outland Muatang Gamma is classed as a racingship. However I think it would be a little doll, if they were the only ships I saw when racing. So will there be more ships in the racing class. Then the 3 that are in it now.

That being say'd we also know from the Murray Cup displaycase that are in the Hangers that the Xi'An Khartu-Al have won the Murray Cup. On the note of aliens, a Banu called  Issigon Ado have also won the murray cup, though, I couldn't find what ship he won with.

Did you know that the Aurora have the speed record (or once did)?

SC_The_stars_Align_spped_record_outtake_ 

(Jump Point, The Stars Aligns, page 63, Aug 2014)

Can you also be a competitive racer with the aurora, or can it only go straight.

So what do you think? What ship can you do competitive racing in? 

also the jump ship that is on the 890 jump was originally designed as a racer but they thought it was too big and the M50 won out. Maybe there will be some tweaks you could do to make it competitive.

I would like to think that Racing in SC will be like that of MotoGP or WEC - GT2.  Where the podiums are a mix of all the manufacturers.   While a stock porsche 911 may not be able to beat Ferrari 458,  however once you tune them for racing they finish within a couple tenths of each other...

What would not be fun is Every 350R finishes first then the M50s, then the Omegas... Which is how it is now.

The lore mentions one racer using a Vanduul Scythe.

That is pretty cool, a pain because unless you buy the Scythe before PU is out, you won't get insurance on it.  

also the jump ship that is on the 890 jump was originally designed as a racer but they thought it was too big and the M50 won out. Maybe there will be some tweaks you could do to make it competitive.

Yeah I didn't think about the 85X. Just looked up the stats for it and the 85X doesn't look to bad 2x HM4.2 main engine. Same as the M50. 85X have 8 maneuvering thrusters, which is the same as the M50, however, 85X ways about 1000kg more then the M50. But then again Origin did start as a racing company, so fast ships shouldn't be that surprising. 

Origin 890 Jump Brochure 85X stats are on page 14

What would not be fun is Every 350R finishes first then the M50s, then the Omegas... Which is how it is now.

Well there is always a fasted ship, however, it will probably take a bit of time before people starts using other ships then the 350R. Until someone comes along and wops the 350R's ass. Sure you can mod ships to be as or faster then 350R, but then you can also mod the 350R to be even faster. So I'm interested in seeing how they are going to balance the racing. 4 secounds is a lot of time between each ship type.

Edited by Rumged
because of spelling mistakes

Well there is always a fasted ship, however, it will probably take a bit of time before people starts using other ships then the 350R. Until someone comes along and wops the 350R's ass. Sure you can mod ships to be as or faster then 350R, but then you can also mod the 350R to be even faster. So I'm interested in seeing how they are going to balance the racing. 4 secounds is a lot of time between each ship type.

I like to believe that there is an upper limit that is hit with racing.  It's where the "rules" outline a wide verity of options and however hard you work at something Physics acts as the great equalizer.

Like tire size limits the amount of traction you have, and aero restrictions limit the amount of downforce you can create.  So that at the end of the day it comes down to talent in the car, and not in the factory.  

And if you want to talk about the 350R vs the M50... The M50 was created to replace the 350R, to return Origin to the forefront of racing.... but it's slower than the 350R, dafuq :bored: no company would have pushed something SLOWER into production...

Edited by 22Actual

I like to believe that there is an upper limit that is hit with racing.  It's where the "rules" outline a wide verity of options and however hard you work at something Physics acts as the great equalizer.

Like tire size limits the amount of traction you have, and aero restrictions limit the amount of downforce you can create.  So that at the end of the day it comes down to talent in the car, and not in the factory. 

Well I truly hope so too, and I do believe there is going to be an upper speed limit. Mainly because of technical limitations. It would truly be great if multiply ships could get there..... however I'm sure how many that is...

Also how is maneuverability going to factor ind, because in marruy cup now maneuverability is jack s**t.

Edited by Rumged

I'm using my Herald for racing..

fire_flatfish.thumb.png.c56d559afbf82a13

I think I'd make holographic stuff pop up along the racing like in Mario Cart. These would be "Allowances" to use resources you're carrying. There's a lot of different things you can do to equalize the races with that!

Firstly, you could make the allowances better, different or in varying magnitude. Boost, Timed weapon shooting, one missile lock firing, altering the course such as narrowing the waypoint circles, etc.

Secondly, you could make them negative to hit when you're in the lead, so you have to dodge them instead of hitting them if you're in front. Like starting a timer which gives those behind you a bonus to their allowance based on the time until they hit it.

Thirdly, you could place them in hard to reach or risky spots so it becomes a risk/reward thing. You could have small targets to hit, or big ones, out of place or a detour, restricting your flight path making you an easy target, etc.

These highlights maneuvering, risk estimation and strategy.

Edited by Delogic

Can't say I agree with Mario Kart in space. I am of the opinion you should never be punished for being in 1st place. It punishes skill. i believe they should be able to find balance with the ships themselves without adding gimmicks

I think Mario Kart in space could be fun! Its defiantly something I haven't thought of! However for my every day race I would prefer something purely based on flying skill, not what pickup you get. That being say'd I believe a lot of race will allow weapons use in 1 or more stages.

I'm using my Herald for racing..

fire_flatfish.thumb.png.c56d559afbf82a13

that herald looks sexy as all hell

Can't say I agree with Mario Kart in space. I am of the opinion you should never be punished for being in 1st place. It punishes skill. i believe they should be able to find balance with the ships themselves without adding gimmicks

Mario Cart might not be the best example, but it is one that most people can relate to.

MC still requires skill to play, both in racing and using the tools, as well as strategy for when and where to use them. What irks many players is two-fold I think, first the seeming randomness of it, and the compression of skill gap. The randomness I don't like either, though it does mix it up and make each race unique and unpredictable. The compression effect is good for keeping the races interesting, but end up penalizing mistakes very hard compared to reward of doing awesome things and the compression can go WAY overboard and make skill irrelevant, as has probably happened to MC.

But we shouldn't dismiss the tools for their shortcomings when they can be migated or lessened compared to the benefits, and there will always be Classic races to go to when people want to master the basics. Classical racing focuses on the mastery of a few things and can be incredibly rewarding, but I think a MC-style race would be much more interesting to watch and fun to play if done correctly.

I would not be opposed to a different racing mode that was like Mario Cart, or, inspired. My question is: What would be the blue shell equivalent? Would it be a Gladiator firing those CS missiles from back when you couldn't evade them, a Retaliator showing up and shoving massive torpedoes down your troat? It wouldn't been a serious gamemode, but I'm assuming that 900 years into the future people would still enjoy fun.

a Retaliator showing up and shoving massive torpedoes down your troat? 

Yes, MY retaliator will do that with both bays full of torpedos once I come down to retaliate on you stealing my cargo or destroying my other NPCed ships!!

And if you want to talk about the 350R vs the M50... The M50 was created to replace the 350R, to return Origin to the forefront of racing.... but it's slower than the 350R, dafuq :bored: no company would have pushed something SLOWER into production...

There is a reason this babe is tuning my M50 here & not a 350R, see!!

scan333RuyneM5044e5a.jpg

Yeah even though she stole that ring grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!