Hero
Sign in to follow this  
The_Director

The Next Great Star Marine Hub

Hey guys, i just wanted to bump this thread real quick as I've not seen much activity.

remember there will be a meeting this Thursday, in preparation for the actual contest, and yes, I will have clear goals and activities for those intrested.

Thanks all,

T_D

This is great, but to me it feels minimal, or more along the lines of a scout recon helmet. If this is for TNGSM and the competition is going to be based around a mech suit, I think the helmet should be closer to the tier that the suit is gonna be, maybe a tier 7 helmet or something. Just my thoughts. 

Light_Marine_HD.thumb.png.70a7d22b36487e 

or

latest?cb=20150511184318

The comparison between these two helmets is mainly around visibility. A mech one or past tier 3 should offer lesser visibility but also more armor  

Edited by Corbin_Jones

IMO visibility shouldn't matter much when designing the helmet, as long as there is an obvious objective of making it an internal display (Think Iron man). They already have the HUD system, I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to put it inside a helmet with clear visability. Maybe it even has advantages such as Night Vision/IR capabilities already installed. I think that would be a fair trade off for the movement decrease. The jetpack idea should be scaled down as well, let's say there's a couple of powerful mini thrusters mounted on the back and sides that can, under gravity or not, jet you to the sides or a quick 5ft jump forward. If we're going to do this I believe we need to move in a direction that involves a medium weight but super strong metal that way you don't need to look overly ugly bulky, some sort of closed off armored helmet that gives advantages in sight like IR/NV, maybe some minor jump thrusters to help catch up to the squad if need be, also what I think would be awesome is some sort of lock down mechanism in the legs that increases say your accuracy and fire rate. I took that last idea straight from the lockdown TR max suits from planetside 2. Let me know if you guys like this sort of direction? If some people like it maybe I'll dive into some more imagery research and sample gathering. 

Edited by Glitch

That's a great point, and if you want to dive deeper be my guest.

I'm really terrible at CAD. Adobe Premiere is my forte, and strictly the editing portion, im not great with after effects. I just know how to slice n' dice videos and sync them with multiple layers of effects and music. The best I could probably do is pick and choose elements from other games, it would unfortunately be up to someone else to actually design it. Maybe I'll text my old Media teacher from highschool and see if he has any cool ideas, his forte is drawing and designing.

Edited by Glitch

Hello everyone,

so ive seen this thread get a few likes so I just wanted to post this little update.

According to an RSI video (I forget which one) TNGSM won't be until the end of this year.

However! I am more than willing to do so thing in the meantime, if you have a project in mind just let me know!

if you have an idea related to this thread that's still fine, but I won't be actively involved until more news comes out.

thanks,

T_D

How in the world are they going to have balance with all these levels 

Everything in the game from items to weapons to ships to armor have "Weak Points" built in to them. we just have to ,as players, discover what those weak points are. I believe that was on the most recent 10 for the chairman. 

Edited by Glitch

I don't buy the whole notion that some gear won't be OP. What is the point of currency and gear if I can't get better gear. I don't want perfect balance. This is not a MP FPS game. I am assuming if they have a standalone FPS mode (Star Marine), like Destiny did, then THAT mode pretty much balances all players, regardless of gear. But in the PU if I grind for 100 hours to collect some one of kind ultra armor it better not have a weak point that Joe Smoe "just got the game" can exploit. 

I believe it should always be rock paper scissors.

For example:

One Suit could have a strong personal shield but can be counted by an EMP grenade.

One suit can have really heavy Armour but restricts movement so you cannot avoid fire and cannot chase people.

One suit has an exoskeleton meaning you can carry really heavy weapons but the suit can break down alot due to complexity.

I don't buy the whole notion that some gear won't be OP. What is the point of currency and gear if I can't get better gear. I don't want perfect balance. This is not a MP FPS game. I am assuming if they have a standalone FPS mode (Star Marine), like Destiny did, then THAT mode pretty much balances all players, regardless of gear. But in the PU if I grind for 100 hours to collect some one of kind ultra armor it better not have a weak point that Joe Smoe "just got the game" can exploit. 

100th post!

So for balancing, it's probably going to be like the spaceships, each has its role, it has its good points and bad, there will never be a ultra suit that can wreck the battlefield by itself, though there will be suits that preform very well like the Origin M50.

Star Citizen isn't a game with a level, so you cannot really say this suit or that suit is the best, it all depends on your playing style.

EDIT2 (i think this is important to add:)

Star Citizen IS a FPS game, you sit as the pilot in your spacecraft, and you walk around in first person, although there is floating cameras, there was planned and will be FPS in star citizen, your ship isn't just your game, you are too now.

And to go along with the first part of my message, if Joe Smith is a newbie, who bought a EMP grenade and you forget to use your counter measures (or what have you) then boom your suit is frozen. This isn't The Division, just because you have 1,000's of hours means you can beat new players, you bleed just as much when shot in the face with a pistol as with as a sniper rifle in the face in Star Citizen. (though if you have reinforced glass then thats another story)

As for Star Marine, i highly doubt its going to be made now, i think it is much more likely to be placed in the PTU/PU, Arena Commander was for introducing ships and playing around while the Dev's use their brand new test methods on a heavily modified cryengine, with it so far along now it make more sense to just throw it into the PU.

Edited by The_Director

Going to have to make something amazing... the new UEE Marine Armor sets the standard very high. I think this is Class VI.

al2cHRG.jpg

I see a bit of Dead Space here. Don't you think?

Already made some inspiration?