Building a simpit

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

(i'm not sure if this is the correct subforum, feel free to move the thread if there is a better suited place for it)

So as SC is getting closer and closer i've decided to build my own simpit since none of the simpits i've seen/used have had a fast and easy way to switch between keyboard/mouse and hotas.

Would the people of TA be interested in a build log of this project?

Current Design:
Z80fznA.jpga

Update #1 (19/01/2016): Getting all the materials together

bJ2E2ga.jpg oMGaNHq.jpg

Update #2 (28/02/2016): The framework is starting to come together

Well well, 2 months later and the project is starting to come along.

I can only work on this while people are at work since i live in an apartment so its been a bit slow while cutting and sanding all the pieces.

kZCG1xv.jpg
This is all of the wood for the framework before sanding. It turned out to be a lot slower to cut it than i expected.

d7pjgAe.jpg.axiGKXp.jpg
Side panel before and after assembly (missing a single piece of wood on the right side picture)
Every piece of wood is cut 1mm larger than its supposed to be and then sanded by hand for a super tight fit. Hopefully it will reduce rattling.

C8mnt4U.jpg.h1XlLxy.jpg
The front cockpit framework being assembled. Again everything is cut larger and sanded down.

Update #3 (10/04/2016): Simpit is being put into use a bit early. Still a lot of work to be done.

Update #3: Had to put the simpit to use before it being finished to free up some space. Building something this big in a 1 room apartment is pretty tough.

pHaWTld.jpg.xbdWt0C.jpg.wQuXhDS.jpg
The section that holds the seat is now assembled.

BfWn8RZ.jpg
Front section assembled. The painted areas are the ones that wont be covered with fiberboard later on.

f0ginbI.jpg.K6Ijqwt.jpg
Example of the fiberboard before and after being painted. It's painted with a layer of primer, a layer of black paint, and then a layer of black hammerite hammer effect paint.
The first two layers are sanded thoroughly before the next layer is painted.

AxeUv90.jpg.cyQj3eO.jpg.mIbKViy.jpg
Making the keyboard tray. It's simply a piece of plywood, with a mousemat glued to it and mounted on a keyboard sliding tray.

s05PO6V.jpg.UHmsrMx.jpg
Electronics being put into place for temporary use.

i8c7IKT.jpg
And this is how it sits currently. Next stop is making the arms for all the joysticks, throttles etc.

Update #4 (29/04/2016): Almost done, just need to do the paint and mount a seat.

Update #4: Solved the joystick issue by getting a saitek something something v1 joystick instead. I'm now done cutting and sanding every single piece. Also tested  that everything fit together and it appears that it does. All thats left now is painting everything and putting it back together.

W7BTsIZ.jpg.70zK9Ty.jpg.58u7rIW.jpg
Mounted the joystick to the metal piece, and then mounted the metal piece to a support frame. Last picture is how it looks with the outer layer attached.

VMZQoJw.jpg.HwS4tuf.jpg
Mounted the warthog by reusing the mount from my obutto revolution (which will be turned into a car simulation pit instead)

4SQns0B.jpg.yXy3hsz.jpg
Making sure the outer shell fits. Seems like its taking shape. Also ordered a sports car seat to replace the obutto seat.

Update #5 (23/05/2016): It's finally done. 5 months of work and its finished :D

Final Update: It's pretty much finished :D all i need to work out is a type of closing system for the left side arm. Been thinking of something along the lines of this with an arm rest on top.

K6bUbri.jpg.K6xk31D.jpg

r6pKWQF.jpg.wjzbgW0.jpg

All wires are routed through the cockpit. All usb's can be toggled on/off on the right-side control panel.

All in all this was a great learning experience and definitly one of the most fun projects i've undertaken so far :D

IMGUR ALBUM (contains all images)

Edited by Yulin

Posted

Wow Sketch Up hehe that's where i began.

ya i would love to see your build log!

Posted

definitely!

Posted

I might try the same. If you haven't thought of it already you could pick up 2 relatively cheap tablets to use roccat power grid on for shield management ect

Posted

I might try the same. If you haven't thought of it already you could pick up 2 relatively cheap tablets to use roccat power grid on for shield management ect

that sounds awesome, love to see what kind of support comes in for those kind of things in the future, wonder how it'll affect the VR guys if they have to use keyboard or w/e to manipulate shields, or maybe just voice attack or something.

Would love to see the build log for this any regard

Posted (edited)

Finally got the last materials earlier today.

Here's an overview of everything i'm gonna use to build it.

bJ2E2ga.jpg oMGaNHq.jpg

5 sheets of 2cm plywood (2440x1220cm)
5 sheets of 3,2mm fiberboard (same dimensions)

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog
Thrustmaster T16000M
Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
USB 2.0 Hub
USB 3.0 Hub
External Numpad for shield management or whatever i end up using it for.
6 heavy duty hinges
4 small wheels
2 cans of black paint
Sliding keyboard mount

I'll update the main post later to make it easier to navigate aswell.

Edited by Yulin

Posted

I've actually already planned for this. But im not investing into more tablets for now, its just too expensive on top of building this thing. All the parts added cost me about $150 (excluding joysticks etc etc since i had those lying around already)

Posted

Well well, 2 months later and the project is starting to come along.

I can only work on this while people are at work since i live in an apartment so its been a bit slow while cutting and sanding all the pieces.

kZCG1xv.jpg
This is all of the wood for the framework before sanding. It turned out to be a lot slower to cut it than i expected.

d7pjgAe.jpg.axiGKXp.jpg
Side panel before and after assembly (missing a single piece of wood on the right side picture)
Every piece of wood is cut 1mm larger than its supposed to be and then sanded by hand for a super tight fit. Hopefully it will reduce rattling.

C8mnt4U.jpg.h1XlLxy.jpg
The front cockpit framework being assembled. Again everything is cut larger and sanded down.

Posted

nice work man

Posted

Update #3: Had to put the simpit to use before it being finished to free up some space. Building something this big in a 1 room apartment is pretty tough.

pHaWTld.jpg.xbdWt0C.jpg.wQuXhDS.jpg
The section that holds the seat is now assembled.

BfWn8RZ.jpg
Front section assembled. The painted areas are the ones that wont be covered with fiberboard later on.

f0ginbI.jpg.K6Ijqwt.jpg
Example of the fiberboard before and after being painted. It's painted with a layer of primer, a layer of black paint, and then a layer of black hammerite hammer effect paint.
The first two layers are sanded thoroughly before the next layer is painted.

AxeUv90.jpg.cyQj3eO.jpg.mIbKViy.jpg
Making the keyboard tray. It's simply a piece of plywood, with a mousemat glued to it and mounted on a keyboard sliding tray.

s05PO6V.jpg.UHmsrMx.jpg
Electronics being put into place for temporary use.

i8c7IKT.jpg
And this is how it sits currently. Next stop is making the arms for all the joysticks, throttles etc.

Posted

Looking awesome :D I love seeing the progress on this :3

Posted

Looking awesome :D I love seeing the progress on this :3

Thank you.

I'm actually kinda stuck atm. Was originally going for a T.16000 for the left side joystick, but after opening it up it seems its pretty much impossible to build a custom housing for it. 

The default housing is way too big to fit next to a throttle :(

Posted

Thank you.

I'm actually kinda stuck atm. Was originally going for a T.16000 for the left side joystick, but after opening it up it seems its pretty much impossible to build a custom housing for it. 

The default housing is way too big to fit next to a throttle :(

Put up some pictures and the dimensions your dealing with, I might be able to sort something out xD

Posted

Put up some pictures and the dimensions your dealing with, I might be able to sort something out xD

EhLf6WY.jpg

Essentially, the housing protrudes about 6cm on the right side, but the problem is really that the hall sensors in the joystick seems to be attached to the outer housing and not the part of the housing that holds the joystick.

I also cannot move the joystick further to the left since my hand will hit the throttle when pulling the joystick to the left.

Posted (edited)

Update #4: Solved the joystick issue by getting a saitek something something v1 joystick instead. I'm now done cutting and sanding every single piece. Also tested  that everything fit together and it appears that it does. All thats left now is painting everything and putting it back together.

W7BTsIZ.jpg.70zK9Ty.jpg.58u7rIW.jpg
Mounted the joystick to the metal piece, and then mounted the metal piece to a support frame. Last picture is how it looks with the outer layer attached.

VMZQoJw.jpg.HwS4tuf.jpg
Mounted the warthog by reusing the mount from my obutto revolution (which will be turned into a car simulation pit instead)

4SQns0B.jpg.yXy3hsz.jpg
Making sure the outer shell fits. Seems like its taking shape. Also ordered a sports car seat to replace the obutto seat.

Edited by Yulin

Posted

Looks fantastic and and a nice job. If only they could build the game this quick.

Posted

Thanks for the update. Looking good and I cant wait to see it in its final build :D

Posted

Nice   update

I got the Obutto R3volotion   but dont think I can make space for a spacesim pit.  

Wife 'growling' as it is already. .. 

Posted

Final Update: It's pretty much finished :D all i need to work out is a type of closing system for the left side arm. Been thinking of something along the lines of this with an arm rest on top.

K6bUbri.jpg.K6xk31D.jpg

r6pKWQF.jpg.wjzbgW0.jpg

All wires are routed through the cockpit. All usb's can be toggled on/off on the right-side control panel.

All in all this was a great learning experience and definitly one of the most fun projects i've undertaken so far :D

Posted

oh wow! Amazing work mate.