Tactical Advance
Sign in to follow this  
AutotunePanda

The Large Pixel Collider

Gaming PC
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2697V2
Motherboard: Evga SR-X
GPU: 4x EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Black Superclocked Signature edition (3 for gaming and 4th for PhysX and 4th monitor)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 96 GB 2400mhz (a 64 GB kit and a 32 GB kit together)
Case: Caselabs TX10-D
PSU: Enermax Platimax 1500w and Corsair AX1200i
HDDs and SSDs:
Asus ROG RAIDR Express 240 GB (OS Drive, even with windows 7 it boots in < 2 secs)
4x Samsung 840 Evo 1TB in 2 Raid 0 arrays
2x Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB Raid 0
2x Smasung 840 Evo 250 GB Raid 0
4x Seagate STCL4000400 4TB in 2 Raid 0 arrays
2x Weston Digital Velociraptor 1TB in Raid 0
1x RevoDrive 3 X2 960 GB
Sound Card: ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST

Peripherals:
Monitors: 3x Asus PQ321QE with thinner bezels
1x BenQ XL2720T (Mainly for counter Strike)
Keyboard: Corsair K95
Mouse: Razer Ouroboros
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Stealth
Headset: Asus ROG Cerberus
Microphone:Blue Yeti Pro with RØDE PSA1

Ask if you want me to post the other stuff that go along with this.

All dat RAID 0. Is the performance increase worth the loss of redundancy? I've never met anyone with RAID 0 drives.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is it depends on the hardware you are using and the limit you want to go to.

HDD and SSD typically run through SATA ports that are controlled by the PCH (formerly known as south bridge.)

Each port has a read/write limit. Additionally the PCH has a total throughput limit. The throughput of the individual ports will increase additively until you entirely saturate the throughput of the PCH at which point you will see no more gains. For most modern motherboards (Z77 and Z87 included) this is 3 or 4 drives in RAID 0 on the PCH. Which means that 2 drives in RAID 0 is nearly (tho not exactly) twice as fast and 3 is almost three times is fast. There's generally more loss between 3 and 4, but still a notable increase. The jump to Z87 is also a big deal because it has 6 SATA 3.0 (6gb) ports controlled natively by the PCH as opposed to just 2 on the Z77. This means you can add much more without reaching a lower bottleneck.

Now this rig is NOT consumer grade, it's workstation grade. But the same principles apply to you. In preparation for SC, whenever you buy hard drives over the next year I strong encourage a couple things. Go with SSD. It costs more but is absolutely, positively, worth it. And once you pick the total GB you want with SSD, half it and get 2 drives for a RAID 0 for much better read/write speeds and a huge boost to performance.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is it depends on the hardware you are using and the limit you want to go to.

HDD and SSD typically run through SATA ports that are controlled by the PCH (formerly known as south bridge.)

Each port has a read/write limit. Additionally the PCH has a total throughput limit. The throughput of the individual ports will increase additively until you entirely saturate the throughput of the PCH at which point you will see no more gains. For most modern motherboards (Z77 and Z87 included) this is 3 or 4 drives in RAID 0 on the PCH. Which means that 2 drives in RAID 0 is nearly (tho not exactly) twice as fast and 3 is almost three times is fast. There's generally more loss between 3 and 4, but still a notable increase. The jump to Z87 is also a big deal because it has 6 SATA 3.0 (6gb) ports controlled natively by the PCH as opposed to just 2 on the Z77. This means you can add much more without reaching a lower bottleneck.

Now this rig is NOT consumer grade, it's workstation grade. But the same principles apply to you. In preparation for SC, whenever you buy hard drives over the next year I strong encourage a couple things. Go with SSD. It costs more but is absolutely, positively, worth it. And once you pick the total GB you want with SSD, half it and get 2 drives for a RAID 0 for much better read/write speeds and a huge boost to performance.

What he said XD. Also to make up for the fact there are no RAID 1 setups or similar in this rig, I have a NAS of 386TB (at last count) that I back up all my machines to regularly.

For the more human among us there's the option to just use a 1tb external And manually backup important files periodically.

I prefer to attach the external to my router so files are accessible remotely, but your mileage may vary.

What he said XD. Also to make up for the fact there are no RAID 1 setups or similar in this rig, I have a NAS of 386TB (at last count) that I back up all my machines to regularly.

is this like a business setup or a big family because that's alot of storage

is this like a business setup or a big family because that's alot of storage

A bit of both because looking around my office I see 7 PCs, quite a few servers and a ton of laptops and tablets (Partly because I am a developer,partly because I just like technology).