Tactical Advance
Sign in to follow this  
HodoraTheExploder

To HOTAS or not to HOTAS, that's the question.

Hi all!

Did u guys notice how badly Chris Roberts was able to aim on the NPC ships?
He was using a 360 controller, maybe he needs to change the sensitivity of it...

I was considering buying a 360 controller for my pc, but after seeing this, i will stick to my keyboard and mouse..
However, it might just be a simple setting that needs changing...

What do u guys think? Keyboard and mouse or 360 controller or HOTAS?
(HOTAS are an option in the future for me, just not right now)
Maybe wait for the RSI HOTAS? - They are talking to some manufacturers to see if this will be viable..

Greets

Hodora / Dutch

I am thinking the same thing, I was going to go HOTAS right away, but I don't think I will for a while just because of amount of tabletop space I have is limited right now. I might do keyboard and mouse, but I also have a 360 controller that I am considering using as well.

I'm going for a hotas system, thats as 99% sure.

Probably the X55, looks sweet and the reviews say its really a good hotas system for its price.
On the forum of roberts, the reviewer say that some buttons feel really cheap but that is the only place where I heard it, all other reviews that I have seen so far saying its a good system. Yes its plastic but what do you want for such price ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIM_kt_18yI

Mind if I remember the general readers that "HOTAS" are conceived only for airplane piloting? They lack a hole axis of control for space environment driving and intuitive key binds, he only way to compensate it is by using pedals.

I'm not sure how if it'll work but I'm eager to test the dual joystick control, especially as it still allows for the use of keyboard+mouse as backup, but it depends if the thrusters will be well responsive to variant output intensities (I'm taking suggestions on such products).

My thruster comment relates to the practical test of whether 3D strafing on a semi-idle position will be a viable approach to space dogfight. As it requires a very accurate and immediate response from both the peripherals and the ship itself. Or maybe I'm simply over-thinking the Newtonian model capabilities. 8-)

I will definatly go HOTAS, dunno about you guys but you just have more control with a joystick...
,when you want to strafe roll yaw pitch or accelerate you are going to have to use all different buttons on the keyboard ( and mouse) so i think it would e profitable to go with the HOTAs

Im going with a KB/M set up to start with but if they treat this the way i think they will i will have to force the learning curve of a stick/HOTAS set up as i cant use a keyboard to dogfight and a mouse to aim (mouse to aim and shoot is fine i have no issues with that part) ive used the W.A.S.D keys to dog fight and when you add the ability to roll as well it imo puts you in a serious dis-advantage, however i understand if they go this route as if they made it more freelancer style 2/3 of the forum would cry so much that they would dehydrate cos lets face it how dare a KB/M set up be able to keep up with a HOTAS in its own way.

Time will tell once the Arena Commander goes live. I suspect HOTAS will be the best option for use with the flight computer but won't lend itself well to free flight. But to flight computer or not flight computer will be down to personal preference and what advantages/disadvantages each offers. Personally I will be using a joystick - coz that's the ONLY way to fly a spaceship imho.

We can compare notes once we get into dogfighting :)

Time will tell once the Arena Commander goes live. I suspect HOTAS will be the best option for use with the flight computer but won't lend itself well to free flight. But to flight computer or not flight computer will be down to personal preference and what advantages/disadvantages each offers. Personally I will be using a joystick - coz that's the ONLY way to fly a spaceship imho.

We can compare notes once we get into dogfighting :)

yea what you say is very true we will have to wait. i have a cheap flight stick so i know i cant hit s**t with it , the flying part i can do but thats it so if flying with a keyboard sucks then ill move to a stick and mouse + keyboard for fps and other non flying/fighting stuff

Yeah, i think im gonna start with KB/M setup at first for DMF, see how that handles.

I'm thinking:

W = Dive
S = Pull Up
A = Roll Left
D = Roll Right
Q = Strafe Left
E = Strafe Right
X = Flip Ship 180 degrees, while maintaining original heading
Mouse = Aim
MouseWheel = Velocity

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Appreciate all the replies :)

Hodora / Dutch

The inherent problem of all keyboard input for directions is that they are digital instead of analog. Or to put it differently they are binary instead of positional. A key is either I or O. A stick isn't just up or neutral, it has hundreds of fine gradations in between. The proxy is the feverishly issue light taps to the button to try to make your movements precise or gradual. But I firmly suspect a controller will beat out a keyboard quite handily.

The inherent problem of all keyboard input for directions is that they are digital instead of analog. Or to put it differently they are binary instead of positional. A key is either I or O. A stick isn't just up or neutral, it has hundreds of fine gradations in between. The proxy is the feverishly issue light taps to the button to try to make your movements precise or gradual. But I firmly suspect a controller will beat out a keyboard quite handily.

yea im not holding my breath for KB/M being any good however i hope it is lol and yet people are claiming that the KM/M is going to give people an unfair advantage over a HOTAS set up lmfao

yea im not holding my breath for KB/M being any good however i hope it is lol and yet people are claiming that the KM/M is going to give people an unfair advantage over a HOTAS set up lmfao

It's really the mouse component that could be extremely effective. Mouse aiming is WAY easier to get precision at than a stick.

It's really the mouse component that could be extremely effective. Mouse aiming is WAY easier to get precision at than a stick.

yea mouse is great for aiming but its how CIG works the flying part

yea mouse is great for aiming but its how CIG works the flying part

Depends on your ship of choice. A gunship doesn't need fancy maneuvering, just precise aiming. A FIGHTER needs to maneuver like an ace.

My friend has Elite Dangerous and he let me try a keyboard mouse setup with it. If using a keyboard and mouse in ED is representative of what it's going to be like using those controls in SC, I would say plan to get a HOTAS setup. I really didn't like it (I'm use to HOTAS controls). Using the mouse for flight direction really didn't cut it and it didn't give me a sense I that I was flying a spaceship either.