Hero
Tactical Advance

My next laptop

I am going to sell my PC at work because its to hard for me to make videos when my PC is so far away 3hr round trip.

I settled on getting the below laptop.  Over the next 8 months I am going t o save as much as i can and in the last month sell my PC.

I will use some of the donation I been getting via patreon to top it up. I found the laptop for 2k i k now its not cheap but a desktop is not an option for me.

I hope it will play SC at 1080p at 60fps once SC is sorted out.  Not sure on what the other options are.

I previously used a high end gaming laptop for all my gaming needs and it served me well for almost 2 years when at the time a desktop wasn't a viable option for me.... One thing I noticed however is that you will feel the 'heat' A LOT more especially after prolonged periods of gaming as your hand will likely rest on the laptop itself 

I'm in the midst of upgrading my system and GTX 980 seems to be more than enough to run Star Citizen so you should be all set! 

It's a shame you can't use a desktop PC at home, I looked up the price on that laptop. It would not be hard to build a far more capable desktop for that price.

I sleep in the front room so its not an option.  I have no room lol.

The only down side for me is the fan sounds.  I will not be able to to live recordings.

Eh, if you can put holes in the walls I can see if I can dig up a brit vendor for the wall mount PC system that we use in Cath Labs. All you would need is a chair, and the thing would folds out from the wall... You could cover it with a curtain or something. 

Ultra500-Workstation-Exam-Room-lg.jpg

Older type, folded out

Elite-Phillips-monitor-ICU-lg.jpg

Edited by NatoRepublic

Looks like the Tactical Advance medical center lol

-Start Tactical Advance Voice

Welcome to honest Tac's discount lobotomy center. Don't worry, I have had the ice pick in the oven sterilizing for awhile now, so just lay down on the couch and I'll make all those voices go away....

-End Tactical Advance Voice

Edited by NatoRepublic

-Start Tactical Advance Voice

Welcome to honest Tac's discount lobotomy center. Don't worry, I have had the ice pick in the oven sterilizing for awhile now, so just lay down on the couch and I'll make all those voices go away....

-End Tactical Advance Voice

Honestly I would pay just to have or here his voice.----Not to creepy

Edited by AirBorn4Life

If i had one i would live in it.

Anyone got a GTX980 what the FPS like?

There is an excel file in RSI hardware threads that lists different builds which includes GTX 989. I have dual 980 in my PC. Gonna bench it today.

I have a msi GE60 2PC APACHE with a i7 and GTX 850m on a good day I get 20-25 fps.

The biggest problem is the heat, when it get hot it trotted the gfx down with 300mhz and that what give the bad fps.

Make sure you get a model with dual heater & fan and not like mine with only one heater for gfx and cpu.

I ended up buying a desktop.

edit

Can see the new model runs with water so cooling is probably fine in that one.

Edited by Yodel

I have a GTX 970 and I normally get 20-30 fps dropping sometimes to 10 which is all server dependent.  On one server the other day though, no one was able to spawn a ship and I had a constant 50-60 fps.  So honestly I feel a 980 should have no problems right now.  Also are you pressed for time as in you must buy this laptop right now?  Because if not you might get better prices later this year with the new CPUs and supposed new video card architecture coming out that will drive the price down, hopefully.

Get the new Asus ROG laptop with water cooling dock station, it has options for a GTX 980, water cooled!

http://rog.asus.com/19622016/product-news/press-release-asus-rog-announces-rog-gx700-liquid-cooled-laptop/

Oh also 4K display and CPU can be overclocked to 4.0GHz. Display supports G-Sync.

4K is pointless with 1 GTX980 you will not be able to run SC at 4k.   The laptop i linked had a desktop GTX980 and a 70HZ display with G-Sync .  And its cheaper then the ROG.   It also has a unlocked CPU and GPU.  

I have a GTX 970 and I normally get 20-30 fps dropping sometimes to 10 which is all server dependent.  On one server the other day though, no one was able to spawn a ship and I had a constant 50-60 fps.  So honestly I feel a 980 should have no problems right now.  Also are you pressed for time as in you must buy this laptop right now?  Because if not you might get better prices later this year with the new CPUs and supposed new video card architecture coming out that will drive the price down, hopefully.

I need to get something soon its getting difficult making videos.

Edited by Tactical Advance

4K is pointless with 1 GTX980 you will not be able to run SC at 4k.   The laptop i linked had a desktop GTX980 and a 70HZ display with G-Sync .  And its cheaper then the ROG.   It also has a unlocked CPU and GPU.  

I need to get something soon its getting difficult making videos.

There is an option also for 1080 if you have read the article ;) it is highly customize-able. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NR_EhJcUc

Edited by Huniken

The one i linked had the GTX980 in the laptop.  I don't want to have to carry around that big water cooler lol.

You don't have to, it is going to boost the performance by 40% though....It is your choice after all :)