Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Nicotinee

Cheating using LAG SWITCH

No idea if this is true or not but one of our ex members Malagos who has joined Renegade Squadron is named in the forum chat on REDDIT heres the video and a copy of the comments.

REDDIT COMMENT https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4ehbe5/cheaters_clogging_the_leaderboards/

Its now a live topic on the General chat forums on the RSI web site as well. https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/326428/somewhat-disappointed/p1

As someone who's flown against Malogos, this fills in all the missing puzzle pieces.

Hope this is ban worthy.

[–]LoonkeyCivilian 16 points an hour ago* 

Watching the video of them play... They aren't even that good. They're about as good as me in my Aurora with me using Keyboard and mouse at 25 fps.

Early shots... Trouble tracking a slow moving and close proximity enemy... What the hell?!

[–]SmashedBugMercenary 1 point 15 minutes ago 

With all the desync issues and network problems I have seen since the game has released... It is honestly hard to notice that they are basically taking advantage of it. You just get used to it so much that it doesn't phase you.

[–]zombiebagelScout 1 point 9 minutes ago 

Have you tried playing AC lately? The desync can easily be that bad, and I seriously doubt someone has been using a lagswitch on me in every high pop match for the past 3 months.

More comments and Malagos response from REDDIT

[–]MrHerpDerp 15 points an hour ago* 

/u/malogos get in here nerd.

Personally I am not going to jump to any conclusions. The only way this is getting proved is if CIG analyse network traffic during these games. I heard AC has been pretty laggy recently anyway. I'm watching the other videos though.

Edit: I don't know star-wraith's reddit username.

Edit 2: that footage of malogos is from 1.3.

Edit 3: I've watched both videos now, in full. I don't see an obvious lagswitch at work. Even if both videos contained obvious lag during every engagement, it's not logical to assume that this is the effect of a lagswitch. Some of these engagements don't even look laggy, they just look like someone forgot how to fly their ship and got destroyed during a 180 or slow turn. The ships getting hits on one another when their shots appear to be missing is a common issue anyway.

[–]malogosMercenary 9 points an hour ago 

lmao... I have latency in 40ms and a fiber connection. Anyone who wants to come to Colorado and watch me play can stop by my house at any time. It doesn't happen often, but that's just SC's crappy netcode in action, and anyone that actually played SC with any frequency will recognize that instead of making a conspiracy video.

[–]polyinky 2 points 26 minutes ago 

Just make a video of you playing and film your hands and feet while you play. :)

[–]TexanMiror 5 points 47 minutes ago 

As someone who has played SC and AC: What is seen in that video is not normal at all whatsoever. I don't know if a lag switch exists, or if it has been used here - but the type of flying and even ship physics behavior is something I have never seen. Even total noobs use their ship to make maneuvers - the people in the video actually (almost) stopped. That is something that simply does not happen normally.

I agree that it might just be netcode - yes, the lag/desync issues in SC are so bad, it might actually be believable - but I have never seen such a consistently bad lag situation.

Edit: Maybe this was from an old version of SC? I know that there were some issues in this direction in versions prior to 2.0, but I cant remember too much as I have not flown that much in those versions.

[–]Hurkk 1 point 47 minutes ago 

How about just streaming and letting people watch you top the leaderboards while you stream? Would put an end to speculation.

[–]MrHerpDerp 1 point an hour ago 

Anyone who wants to come to Colorado and watch me play can stop by my house at any time.

Wow, you invented a telepathic lagswitch and didn't tell anyone about it? BAN HE

Edited by Nicotinee

I would not read too much into this as the game has been horrendous when it comes to desync and lag issues for a very long time now.

It is too early to say that they are using lag switches and they should not be treated as guilty without proof. 

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a lag switch to being with?

A lag switch is basically a way to cut the connection of your internet momentarily (or longer). Doing this causes your client to disconnect from the server making it look like you have frozen (or continuously heading in one direction) to the other playing in the match. While on your game you are still moving and every one else has stopped.

If you have played an online game and got a lag spike where you are walking one way and then you glitch back to your original position, this is what the lag switch does on purpose.

To the other players it is like you are teleporting around the map allowing you to avoid getting killed while been able to kill players with ease.

Example below.

A lag switch is basically a way to cut the connection of your internet momentarily (or longer). Doing this causes your client to disconnect from the server making it look like you have frozen (or continuously heading in one direction) to the other playing in the match. While on your game you are still moving and every one else has stopped.

If you have played an online game and got a lag spike where you are walking one way and then you glitch back to your original position, this is what the lag switch does on purpose.

To the other players it is like you are teleporting around the map allowing you to avoid getting killed while been able to kill players with ease.

Example below.

AHA! That's why in battlefield they don't want players with high ping! I get it now :) thanks

This is an extremly slippy road to take, hackusations wasn't a thing on SC, now apparently it is, we need more informations from both sides, especialy when the "inquisitor" have a sketchy past : https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4ehbe5/cheaters_clogging_the_leaderboards/d20q9rf

This can ruin the reputation of a player for his/her entire career, act with caution, and please, don't jump on conclusion, as obvious it can be, always give the player a fair "trial".

Malagos Redit reply thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4ekf3d/malagos/

As soon as read the comment on Malagos i knew he would not take that from anyone with out a response. I have to say that as he is the creator of the database that has all item stats each patch and the fact hes been playing the game for so long that I doubted that he would need to resort to lag switch. I have no idea if any of the accusations are true or not about any of the players in their organisation but if i was a betting man and I am i would say Malagos is clean.

Edited by Nicotinee