Hero
Sign in to follow this  
mr_selfdestruct

ELI5 Hardpoints, gimbal, unmaned turrets, and pylons

First off. I feel bad. My face is all over the forum post since I joined you guys two days ago. I have had a lot of questions. Thanks for a cool bunch (of gamers). 

So can someone explain better the hardpoints. Can we use my ship for an example, the Freelancer. 

The Freelancer has no fixed mounts, so I am assuming the massive cannons on the side, its main guns, are "unmanned turrets". 

A. What is the difference between an unmaned turret and a fixed mount and a gimbal mount? 

B. On the technical overview of the Freelancer it says "S2" for unmaned turrets yet if you hover over them it says size S4. Does the S2 mean 2 cannons max for each S2 mount? Like there is an s2 and s3 pylon. 2 missiles slots and 3 missile slots? 

C. I read the Freelancer can take size 3 to size 5 guns. Where is this kind of information? 

D. Lets look at the Buccaneer. Fixed guns on the wingtips, gimbal mounts under the wings. So how will these work together? The fixed just shoot straight and gimbal will fire where the mouse is aiming? I still don't see what is different from gimbal and unmaned turrent other than the unmanned turrets seem to be MASSIVE 

Edited by mr_selfdestruct

Okay. That clears up a lot. So hard points are not 100% set then? He made it sound like a size two could hold a gibal or a fixed weapon. 

So on the freelancer could I put a fixed or gimbaled gun in placed of the unmanned turrets? 

But also if I understand now the fixed s1 guns on the Buccaneer have to stay fixed. It will be near impossible to use them in conjunction with the gimbaled guns and unmanned turret. 

Correct about the Buccaneer. Basically if a gun is fixed S3 then it can also be a gimbeled size S2 and vice verse. But S1 fixed has no room for change. It helps to balance MK players with joystick players. But if we look at mounts like the Super Hornets turret. I can either have a twin mount of two s2 weapons on this s5 turret or I can have one s4 gun which requires a different fixture S5 turret.

The trick is to try and work out what's better two S2 or one S4... But this then works in line with knowing the spec of the weapon. Projectile speed etc.  Things aren't really balanced yet and keep changing so I'm not really looking into this just yet. But I'm sure a hardened AC player could help you out as they tend to keep up with the changes in weapon stats.

Fixed guns fire forwards.

Gimballed mounts fire in an arc (not sure how much probably 90 degrees).

Unmanned turrets can fire in a 360 degree arc so can shoot behind you (if the ship isn't in the way).

Unmanned turrets require a (large) mount which can be removed (usually) and replaced with Fixed guns of the same size.

I wish they would stop mixing weapon types (projectile & laser) on the same ships they just encourage jousting.

Edited by Disc_Jockey