Hero
Ridge_Lock

Dual Universe - Another Space Game

Wanted to share a game that I stumbled upon. It seems like there are more games coming with the procedural tech. But still my opinion is SC will be the best in graphics and gameplay. :)

and an older vid about someone talking about it

Just checked this game out due to Chris Roberts promoting it on RSI website.

Some things off the top of my head:

Good:

Open world sandbox.

Graphically looks good.

Impressive tech to be able pass player made changes to 100s of other clients in realtime.

Procedurally generated.

Bad:

No indication of lore or story.

Little to no PvE from what Ive read.

They mention everyone starts on the same planet so I guess that planet will quickly be mined out.

Sandbox creation games benefits most people who can play 24/7. Doesn't look like a game you can just pick up and play.

No indication on how they will prevent people griefing or just writing their name into planets with 10 mile wide letters or dropping a 4km wide block onto your player city that took you months to create.

No proper physics ie gravity, orbits, space flight mechanics.

Only been in dev for 3 years so probably another 3 to go.

Subscription based.

Not sure if this would be any better than just hosting your own Space Engineers server.

All the vids I have seen on it just concentrates on the Engine and the tech. Procedurally generated is ok but you do still need lore, story, an evolving universe. This is one of the big problems I find with NMS.

Edited by Disc_Jockey

Subscription based.

That was what made me think about it the most... I hope SC does not go into that direction (Who knows)

Yeah, I like the idea of the game but there are plenty of games like this out there that don't have a subscription.

I'll probably keep an eye on it, but can't see myself playing this one.

DU is an ambitious mmo game the guys are striving for. A single shard and global dedication servers if it works it will be quite good game. I've already pledged for it. As the gameplay looked pretty good, but not finished quite a bit. The artist have to do a lot of work over time. The tech demo worked. I can understand why we have to wait until getting our hands on it ourself. It's an mmo and it will cost money a fair bit of money. The only down side is the fixed subs, although might change Eve online and ISK paying the subs.

DU is an ambitious mmo game the guys are striving for. A single shard and global dedication servers if it works it will be quite good game. I've already pledged for it. As the gameplay looked pretty good, but not finished quite a bit. The artist have to do a lot of work over time. The tech demo worked. I can understand why we have to wait until getting our hands on it ourself. It's an mmo and it will cost money a fair bit of money. The only down side is the fixed subs, although might change Eve online and ISK paying the subs.

I also subbed :)

IDK, i really dont like most subscription game, Space Engineers for all its faults is F2P after you buy the game ofc, but it still has a weekly update (with horrible feature creep as you can guess) has boat loads of servers and isn't going to die for another 10 years for sure, why does DU, a game that is almost its clone think it needs a subscription plan?

same (about subs) I dislike them but only have eve and possibly DU it isn't really a clone of SE. SE uses block which minecraft does us, 1m x 1m x 1m. 

basically it has more in common with 7 days to day, voxal, however there are certain "items" for high detailed parts EG cockpit. 

Also, SE and Empyrion will stay small systems on small servers. Having something like that on universe scale is surely worth a sub, especially if there is no ship purchasing. I might upgrade to lifetime sub.