Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
Drakin

My boring but working rig

I used to do a lot of builds from scratch in the past, but I try to avoid that these days due to the ever present potential for incompatibility between some parts. I just don't have the time or temperament these days to spend hours and days dealing with strange system crashes that ultimately turn out to be caused by such and such motherboard having some previously unknown issue with such and such chip in such and such GPU or whatever.

So if possible, I try to buy a pre-built system that has been thoroughly tested.

But in this case I needed to quickly buy a new PC to take with me on my move to Lima Peru so it could go in my wife's tax-free shipping container, and I'd already spent a ton of cash on other things (including a new car that also went in the shipping container) and didn't have a whole lot of extra cash (or credit) to spare.

So I've got what is perhaps the most boring rig ever, but it is working for me.

Long story short, I went to Amazon and bought a "cheap" HP Envy 810 with a core i7-4770 running at 3.4 GHz. It has 16 GB and came with a crappy video card which I subsequently upgraded to an NVidia GeForce GTX 970 on the return from my next trip back to the US ("smuggling" it in next to my laptop). I'm using the Klipsch 5.1 speaker system I had from a prior PC, as well as my (now ancient but still functional) CH Products HOTAS and rudders. I'd like to add an SSD for faster load times, but otherwise the rig is doing alright for me now.

Only problem is it is in the office at my beach house, which is 70km from where I am usually located in Lima. So I either need to relocate the rig to our Lima residence or spend more time at our beach house...

I have a monster of a case that is currently holding a custom Linux RAID server at the moment, and after I shift that functionality into a small footprint NAS case I brought for that purpose, I'm thinking I may ultimately repurpose the giant case as a second rig. That may be down the road a ways though.

My daughter who is only six has expressed an interest in flying around with me in Star Citizen, so at some point I may have to figure out how I'm going to work that out..!

Edited by Drakin

I used to do a lot of builds from scratch in the past, but I try to avoid that these days due to the ever present potential for incompatibility between some parts. I just don't have the time or temperament these days to spend hours and days dealing with strange system crashes that ultimately turn out to be caused by such and such motherboard having some previously unknown issue with such and such chip in such and such GPU or whatever.

So if possible, I try to buy a pre-built system that has been thoroughly tested.

But in this case I needed to quickly buy a new PC to take with me on my move to Lima Peru so it could go in my wife's tax-free shipping container, and I'd already spent a ton of cash on other things (including a new car that also went in the shipping container) and didn't have a whole lot of extra cash (or credit) to spare.

So I've got what is perhaps the most boring rig ever, but it is working for me.

Long story short, I went to Amazon and bought a "cheap" HP Envy 810 with a core i7-4770 running at 3.4 GHz. It has 16 GB and came with a crappy video card which I subsequently upgraded to an NVidia GeForce GTX 970 on the return from my next trip back to the US ("smuggling" it in next to my laptop). I'm using the Klipsch 5.1 speaker system I had from a prior PC, as well as my (now ancient but still functional) CH Products HOTAS and rudders. I'd like to add an SSD for faster load times, but otherwise the rig is doing alright for me now.

Only problem is it is in the office at my beach house, which is 70km from where I am usually located in Lima. So I either need to relocate the rig to our Lima residence or spend more time at our beach house...

I have a monster of a case that is currently holding a custom Linux RAID server at the moment, and after I shift that functionality into a small footprint NAS case I brought for that purpose, I'm thinking I may ultimately repurpose the giant case as a second rig. That may be down the road a ways though.

My daughter who is only six has expressed an interest in flying around with me in Star Citizen, so at some point I may have to figure out how I'm going to work that out..!

Hey a GTX 970 is a good card for gaming, I would recommend it to anyone, but now you have the GTX 1060 which is cheap and same performance as a GTX 980.