Hero
Sign in to follow this  
rossdl

Hey guys, Building a PC could use some advice

So, I'm currently looking to improve my pc, at the moment I have a mid-level rig mostly for 3D graphical work, which is getting on 2 years old now (I've made a few upgrades) but allows for some decent gaming capabilities, specs as follows:

Case: Fractal Designs, R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Corsair CX500
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LE (Micro-ATX)
CPU: i5 3470 3.2GHz
RAM: SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Sound card: No idea
Hard Drive(s): Samsung 840 128GB ssd, WD 500gb Cavier Blue
Optical Drive(s): Asus DVD-RW Drive DRW-24F1ST, S-ATA

Monitor: ViewSonic VX2770Smh-LED (Main), Dell E-series E2014H (Secondary)
Speakers: Harman Kardon Soundsticks II

Operating System: Windows 8 64 bit

My question is just what do you think would be the next part I should focus on upgrading and what would your advice be on it? Ideally I don't want to be forking out huge amounts of cash for only incremental improvements. Any help would be great!

With the game not coming out for some time, updating your system piece by piece over the next 6 months or so may not prove effective. Waiting until early 2015 and buying upgrades then might be the best way forward.

On the other hand, if when the DFM comes out you are only pulling 5 fps then please ignore the first part of this post ;)

A new graphics card can make a huge difference to performance but is normally the most expensive single item to upgrade. I'm saving for a new system next year, I will be looking and listening to many sources both here and on the net to see what the best my budget can afford at the time.

I know what you mean, with waiting, but I've got a gtx 660 ti, which can pull some serious weight when it needs to (obviously not like a 700 series could) but that was the best in my price range, so not sure whether it's worth upgrading the motherboard and processor to newer models, since they're both 3 years old now, and came stock when I bought the basic computer or I should wait and then upgrade them? I dont know how often intel/amd release new chips.

I know what you mean, with waiting, but I've got a gtx 660 ti, which can pull some serious weight when it needs to (obviously not like a 700 series could) but that was the best in my price range, so not sure whether it's worth upgrading the motherboard and processor to newer models, since they're both 3 years old now, and came stock when I bought the basic computer or I should wait and then upgrade them? I dont know how often intel/amd release new chips.

I would wait and test out your current rig with AC when it comes out. If it works and you can live with it, I would hold off and wait until around Beta which should be the next big test. That's what I wanted to do but my rig was older than yours (your computer would've been an upgrade for me). So I had to build a new rig recently for AC. I think you have a better chance with AC than I did with my old system and the longer you wait the more new options you'll have and the current hardware available will be cheaper if you're still interested in them.

Indeed your rig is a decent one i to use the 660ti (evga superclocked) just wish i bought the 3 gig version back then then i would just SLI the 660tis (they are a 670 with a 192bit buss for the memory vs the 670's 256bit.)
That being said to get a good boost in fps with the 660ti is to bump power target to 112% or higher ^.<
and then bump your Memory on your gpu by 100 at a time and find a stable oc ^.< doing this allows me to still use my 660ti at 3600x2025 ^.<

the only upgrade path i see you benefiting from would be the 8xx's gpus that are due to come out Q4 2014 or Q1 2015.

and what is your RAM speed 1333 1600? min i suggest is 2133 ^.< cas-9

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, yeah Sak waiting until the beta is a smart play. The only reason my pc is averagely beefed is because I do a lot of graphical work so it has to handle that. Perks of the course I guess. Clam, the ram is 1600 fro mwhat I can tell, so might upgrade from the stock one I got to something better. Any suggestions?

With the game not coming out for some time, updating your system piece by piece over the next 6 months or so may not prove effective. Waiting until early 2015 and buying upgrades then might be the best way forward.

On the other hand, if when the DFM comes out you are only pulling 5 fps then please ignore the first part of this post ;)

A new graphics card can make a huge difference to performance but is normally the most expensive single item to upgrade. I'm saving for a new system next year, I will be looking and listening to many sources both here and on the net to see what the best my budget can afford at the time.

This is a good point if all you want to do with your PC is play SC in the PU. I kind of agree with you on this but mostly I do not agree. You can spend your lifetime waiting for the next great thing, price drops, etc... Instead of saying hey I will wait until such and such happens, why not build a PC that has a great motherboard, awesome processor, strong power supply, and a very decent graphics card. This is exactly what I decided to do and I'm enjoying the benefits of it. Could I have saved money if I waited? The answer is absolutely. I'm glad I didn't wait because I have been enjoying many games in the meantime. So why not get say a nice GTX 780 now and then we the major price drop happens later just add another in SLI? Why not get a great motherboard, i-7 4770-k, and 2 8Gb sticks of fast RAM? You can add 2 more sticks of RAM in it and be running 32 GB if ever the need should arise. You can add liquid cooling and overclock the processor later if you ever need to. All the while you're enjoying 1080p or higher graphics on the most demanding games and with all of the settings maxed out and extremely high frame rates. If you build your pc wisely it will be cost-effective to do it now and enjoy it now instead of waiting. Sure you can just get a mechanical HD now then buy that solid state later on when you have the extra cash. Just don't skip on the most important components like motherboard, processor, and power supply, or you will be wasting your money by having to replace them later. I highly recommend a Z87-deluxe motherboard or similiar, i7-4770k or i5 k version, and quality power supply to have great gaming now and future proof your quite some time to come.

Not really an expert on PC builds, but it seems to me your best and cheapest option right now is to get a better CPU fan and try overclocking it. It's kind of like getting a better CPU for the price of the fan, which can be very low. Also think about additional case fans, those are dirt cheap.