Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
x_wardaddy_x

poor mans rig

Case:corsair carbide series 330r mid tower case
PSU: corsair cx750m 750w psu
Motherboard: asus a88xm plus
CPU: amd fm2+ kaveri a10 7700k
RAM: 8gb corsair vengeance pro
Graphics card: asus nvidia gtx 760
Sound card: none
Hard Drive(s):1tb hdd and 120gb ssd
Optical Drive(s):

Monitor: using an old tv at the moment
Speakers: none apart from whats on the tv but i use kotion each headphones as the tv speakers buzz

Operating System: windows 8.1 pro

looking for advice on what should be upgraded first any input welcome apart from telling me im poor as i know this.

Depends on what you will use it for. I'm assuming the main focus is gaming so in that case I'd invest in a good GPU first. Also the memory is indeed quite low for a gaming rig (it's also a cheap upgrade these days). 16 gb should be enough for the time. Be sure you check if all components fit together before ordering however!

If you want detailed advice I'd suggest taking a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

I wouldn't bother changing your Power Supply or case as you can just reuse that.

You could get a new motherboard, CPU and memory bundle which should give you a good base and allow you to save up for a decent graphics card.

The reason you would need a new bundle is because I expect you have DDR3 memory which won't be compatible with newer CPU's which need DDR4, plus your existing motherboard socket will limit you to what CPU's you can get.

Plus I wouldn't bother upgrading now since 3.0 is out soon with the new netcode v1 so you could just upgrade only to find out you need to upgrade again anyway.

The rig they were using in the Planet v2 demo was a i7 6 core + Asus GTX 1080 (8Gig) indicating that the game still needs a decent cpu.

PS. TBH I doubt you would see much difference going from 8GB to 16GB (Im currently using 8GB)...

The problem is Star Citizen isn't optimized at all at this stage so trying to get a good PC to run it now is kind of pointless unless you have money to burn. You could upgrade and get a steady 25fps but then find you need more CPU cores or a 8GB graphics card to get the full experience later.

Edited by Disc_Jockey

On the memory topic - it seems that due to some performance improvements OR memory leaks - sometimes 8GB is not enough on win 8.x ...  I can't confirm it personally as I'm at 32 GB on win 7

32 GB on win 10 here. In general my experience ingame has been pretty solid but that has more to do with a decent cpu/gpu combo (which will cost more to upgrade compared to memory). 

Plus I wouldn't bother upgrading now since 3.0 is out soon with the new netcode v1 so you could just upgrade only to find out you need to upgrade again anyway.

I agree that upgrading to a better option right now might mean you will need to do it again once the game launches. SQ42 episode 1 is expected to come out in Q1-Q2 of 2017. All in all I would suggest looking at saving some money to get a midrange setup once SQ42 launches to enjoy that and save the big upgrades for once SC comes out.

On the memory topic - it seems that due to some performance improvements OR memory leaks - sometimes 8GB is not enough on win 8.x ...  I can't confirm it personally as I'm at 32 GB on win 7

I've got the same report coming from a French forum about computer & stuff (http://www.hardware.fr/)

I think it's safe to say that when building a rig nowadays, 16 gigs is the go to.

Case:corsair carbide series 330r mid tower case
PSU: corsair cx750m 750w psu
Motherboard: asus a88xm plus
CPU: amd fm2+ kaveri a10 7700k
RAM: 8gb corsair vengeance pro
Graphics card: asus nvidia gtx 760
Sound card: none
Hard Drive(s):1tb hdd and 120gb ssd
Optical Drive(s):

Monitor: using an old tv at the moment
Speakers: none apart from whats on the tv but i use kotion each headphones as the tv speakers buzz

Operating System: windows 8.1 pro

looking for advice on what should be upgraded first any input welcome apart from telling me im poor as i know this.

Hey Wardaddy,

In my opinion, you should go this way :

GPU > Ram > CPU

(well, in your case, in my REAL opinion you should change almost everything ;-))

Try to grab something that the price have been bleeded out, like a R9 Fury X, or else go for a RX 480 until Vega 10 or some sweet 10XX (TI)

Then grab a new kit of ram (your computer is already "slow-ish", let's not mess with the dual channel) since you are using DDR3 they come realy cheap, if you need ref for the kit ask, we have plenty of nerds lurking on the forum.

If you're on a budget, scratch what i just said and wait for ZEN, with the new AM4+ DDR4 will become the new thing and you will have a decent cpu.

Or you could save some money (1000 USD/Euros) save the Case / PSU / Hard Drive(s) and build something that have some firepower.