Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

zeus_anoxia

BlizzCon 2k16 and deep thoughts about star citizen

Do you guys reccon Star Citizen's fan base will EVER be at the level of Blizzard's?? Do you think we will ever have a CitizenCon that is a 3 day event with thousands of people??

Or do you think, like I do, that CitizenCon will turn into a geriatric convention (with all you can drink prune juice) of sad old men looking at powerpoint slides for a couple hours, since the average SC backer is over 30 now and will probably be over 35 by the time there's an actual game out??

Edited by zeus_anoxia

Was that meant sarcastically? Blizzard has been a leading game company for decades, with a very distinct style of games, in multiple genres. Star Citizen is one bloody game, that's not even out yet. It will simply never be that big, unless they go on to create 5 more mega awesome games in the next 2 decades.

Was that meant sarcastically? Blizzard has been a leading game company for decades, with a very distinct style of games, in multiple genres. Star Citizen is one bloody game, that's not even out yet. It will simply never be that big, unless they go on to create 5 more mega awesome games in the next 2 decades.

had some extra salt this morning, thought i would spread it around a little.

Do you guys reccon Star Citizen's fan base will EVER be at the level of Blizzard's?? Do you think we will ever have a CitizenCon that is a 3 day event with thousands of people??

Or do you think, like I do, that CitizenCon will turn into a geriatric convention (with all you can drink prune juice) of sad old men looking at powerpoint slides for a couple hours, since the average SC backer is over 30 now and will probably be over 35 by the time there's an actual game out??

Only if they introduce a bunny girl outfit in the game and girls cosplay that at Citizencon ;)

Seriously though, I think SC will be big, but nowhere near the scale of the Blizzard audience.

I believe we shall return to this question ~ 20 years after release of SC ... in case  SC-5 or so is still alive it will be comparable to the time passed since warcraft I and I dare to say audience will be comparable as well. But will it happen ? I have no clue.

Trying to count why Blizzard succeed, the "real life math" would be way too complicated, and what's the possible choices of CIG in the long run, i will try to explain my POV hastly :

1 - History motherfucker :

In a time not so long ago but in a video game era far far away, when videogames was something reserved to a very specific archetype of people (who where judged by others to be "weird") Blizzard released 2 of the 3 pillars of RTS game of that time (and maybe ever produced) Warcraft II and Starcraft (don't forget the non Blizzard masterpiece C&C / Red Alert) and one of the grandfather or MMORPG, Diablo 1 & 2, which instantly made them a studio to look up, some years passed and they unleashed a game so well accepted by the critics and the players alike that even today you can find people playing it on a regular day basis, motherfucking Warcraft III (who created it's own sub game that is today most played game in the world) propulsing Blizzard in a weird place, where everything they touched transformed into some kind of gold, so they decided to make an ever more obscure genra of game surfing on the "hype" of DAoC, Lineage...(etc) while being wildly "inspired" by Everquest (to not say copy pasting it, it's an old "war" on it's own everytime both fans discuss said topic) after some delay, here it is, World of Warcraft, it's was basicly, for the time, a very well designed MMO with a Warcraft plot, with more bugs and rogue class than mosquitoes in Florida, the genra still being obscure, it realy exploded around Wrath of the Lich King expansion, MMO and videogames slowly becoming mainstream (topic will be covered don't worry) Blizzard had to adapt to the new "generation", released both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 who still today have issues, years passing, expansion after expansion, nothing new under the sun, well, something was but it has been killed in the egg, Project Titan, who have been erased because too risky, why try to burn your hand on a MMO when you can sell Hearthstone pack ? loading 20 millions of $ in your pocket each month. Blizzard again surfed on the not so new "F2P" hype, releasing game like Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and lately Overwatch, it's a new page in the great book of the videogame history...

2 - Dafuq Happen'd ?

Blizzard itself is a company, we live in a capitalist world, it's all about the money, so when videogames became more and more trendy, they switched the long, rifled and heavy barrel to a smoothbore, so they can spray on everything, touching the maximum amount of possible consumer, while trying to content with the "oldfags" who are never fucking happy and will rant that "it was better before" while making smart "company" choice, like making F2P and lowering the skill floor, while augmenting the skill ceiling, so the different type of profiles of player changed drasticly, with that you add that not only videogame became mainstream, but everything else, you're a somewhat fuckable chick ? put some half naked "costume", show cleavage and call it cosplay, all the fucking thirsty virgins will be on your ass... well that was harsh, but that's the reality, i will use another example, Not so long ago, if you where saying that your stuff is about Big dude killing each others with two handed sword, sex, Dragons, sex, Blue eyed Zombies, more sex, treason and incest, well, your s**t would have be bullied hard in high school and no one would have talked to you again around the coffee machine, but then they released Game of Throne and now everyone and their grandmothers is a Dungeon & Dragon "pro" and always been some kind of nerd yo. You see the patern ? that's what CIG will have to deal and i will talk about it... right now !

3 - Future and s**t yo :

If, and IF Star Citizen won't fail, no one can predict the future so calm your horsey before i put my rangers in your stomach, CIG will have to... actualy, CIG already have to deal with that problem, in 2012 SC was an obscure Kickstarter, that went out of control at lightspeed, with people being only here for the hype, others because they want a cool space game or some are just here for reasons only them know, the point is there is already post on the RSI forum about the game "switching south" : "TTK is too high !" "Joystick Master Race !" "We where promised a space sim, not a twitch shooter !" and the list goes on and on...  so eitheir CIG will adapt to the "new" public while trying to make the "old" one happy or will stick to the "originials", both scenario for an unreleased game is like going to hunt Turok velociraptor in a Predator infested Jungle which is actualy more of a minefield than a jungle with your only weapon being an American made Chauchat in 30-06.

TL:DR roll 6D20 to know what the f**k is going to happen, because i don't, but i do know one thing : if CIG want to be a succesfull as Blizzard, they will have at one point to betray the original backers to appeal to the mainstream community.

Yeah, see, CIG has the opportunity of resurrecting a dead genre and I think they already did that. It only depends on whether CIG will be a one trick pony or if they will continue to make games after Star Citizen and SQ42.

[...] if CIG want to be a succesfull as Blizzard, they will have at one point to betray the original backers to appeal to the mainstream community.

Another option is to keep Star Citizen with a high barrier of entry for the die-hard (and more mature) Roberts fans, but then start work on something new, more casual, that could bring in the masses. What that game would look and play like, i couldn't tell you.

You made a very good point that Blizzard is a business and their decisions are informed by that, but I would argue, CIG is already showing the signs that it will start acting more as a business than anything else, in the not to distant future.

TL:DR roll 6D20 to know what the f**k is going to happen, because i don't, but i do know one thing : if CIG want to be a succesfull as Blizzard, they will have at one point to betray the original backers to appeal to the mainstream community.

I doubt that half a million of backers are so far from "mainstream" that they have to be betrayed to appeal to this mysterious creature .  One of the points Chris always brings is exactly the fact  that Star Citizen is for mainstream community, and everyone will find something to play ( there will be even pets inside ffs :) )