Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Intel Kaby Lake TESTED

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Write-up: http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2744-intel-i7-7700k-review-and-benchmark

TL,DR: should i upgrade??

if you have a 4790 or 6700, don't bother. If your CPU is older than that, go nuts.

I have a Devil's Canyon 4790K CPU Unlocked and OC to 4.6GHz on all cores, very happy, it is fully utilized to 90% while gaming in Star Citizen with a Single GTX 1080 FE-MSI which is also used fully 99% with around 5.8GB VRAM usage, all are liquid cooled with independent closed loop systems.

Posted (edited)

I have a Devil's Canyon 4790K CPU Unlocked and OC to 4.6GHz on all cores, very happy, it is fully utilized to 90% while gaming in Star Citizen with a Single GTX 1080 FE-MSI which is also used fully 99% with around 5.8GB VRAM usage, all are liquid cooled with independent closed loop systems.

What are you doing when you are getting that usage? I have an unlocked 4790K with a GTX1080 (running at 1080P) and in the PU my cores were around 70% utilised and the 1080 was idling at about 25%.

I use a batch file to start SC that changes the CPU affinity to spread the load.

Edited by FriendCalledFive

Posted

What are you doing when you are getting that usage? I have an unlocked 4790K with a GTX1080 (running at 1080P) and in the PU my cores were around 70% utilised and the 1080 was idling at about 25%.

I use a batch file to start SC that changes the CPU affinity to spread the load.

I have a QHD 144Hz monitor (1440p) and I play on 4K resolution which is 2160p using nvidia DSR.......thus the 90% CPU load on Very High Settings and 99% GPU load, max VRAM is around 5.8GB out of 8GB....and 16GB RAM out of 32GB RAM is being used. SC is a hungry beast, Cry Engine is it's  core so no surprises there.

Posted

I have a QHD 144Hz monitor (1440p) and I play on 4K resolution which is 2160p using nvidia DSR.......thus the 90% CPU load on Very High Settings and 99% GPU load, max VRAM is around 5.8GB out of 8GB....and 16GB RAM out of 32GB RAM is being used. SC is a hungry beast, Cry Engine is it's  core so no surprises there.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought CPU usage would increase with resolution that much, but I just tried running at 4K via DSR and the cores were running close to max, an increase of about 30% across all the cores.

Posted

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought CPU usage would increase with resolution that much, but I just tried running at 4K via DSR and the cores were running close to max, an increase of about 30% across all the cores.

What cooling solutions are on your CPU and GPU?

How much your GPU run at 4K this time? From 1080p to 4K should be a huge jump by all means. 

My temps for both CPU and GPU are around 65-55 Celsius under full load.

And here is a question that Chris Roberts had asked me back on 2015, what internet connection speeds do you have at home?

I'm running now on 300mbps line but I have access to 1Gbps lines if I need to, very expensive though. 

Posted

What cooling solutions are on your CPU and GPU?

How much your GPU run at 4K this time? From 1080p to 4K should be a huge jump by all means. 

My temps for both CPU and GPU are around 65-55 Celsius under full load.

And here is a question that Chris Roberts had asked me back on 2015, what internet connection speeds do you have at home?

I'm running now on 300mbps line but I have access to 1Gbps lines if I need to, very expensive though. 

I am not worried about the performance for myself, I have a good rig that is mostly upgraded for VR, SC is a side beneficiary at the moment. I just find it interesting what local bottlenecks we currently have if I need to help advise someone on a PC buying decision.

WRT the network, I have a 70mbps line, and if SC requires anything remotely close to that, they are going to be shafting a massive amount of backers who are stuck on crappy ADSL.

Posted

I am not worried about the performance for myself, I have a good rig that is mostly upgraded for VR, SC is a side beneficiary at the moment. I just find it interesting what local bottlenecks we currently have if I need to help advise someone on a PC buying decision.

WRT the network, I have a 70mbps line, and if SC requires anything remotely close to that, they are going to be shafting a massive amount of backers who are stuck on crappy ADSL.

ADSL isn't that bad, actually it was much better ping wise for me since I switched from it to Fiber Optic, maybe the ISP is the problem.

I'm just also interested to know what cooling setup you have in your rig, just for building helping friends pick good choices for their rigs on budgets. 

Posted

ADSL isn't that bad, actually it was much better ping wise for me since I switched from it to Fiber Optic, maybe the ISP is the problem.

I'm just also interested to know what cooling setup you have in your rig, just for building helping friends pick good choices for their rigs on budgets. 

I have a couple of gaming rigs, my main one has a big cooler I have had for years, but I do have a cheap recommendation that I have used in two other machines if you aren't planning on any major overclocking:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039P998M

It is far better than a stock Intel cooler, about twice the height of the Intel heatsink, and is much quieter.

Posted

I have a couple of gaming rigs, my main one has a big cooler I have had for years, but I do have a cheap recommendation that I have used in two other machines if you aren't planning on any major overclocking:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039P998M

It is far better than a stock Intel cooler, about twice the height of the Intel heatsink, and is much quieter.

wow but I tend to go hard with those liquid AIO coolers.

My country is hot so I recommend it over air coolers, it would work great though on colder places :)

Posted

wow but I tend to go hard with those liquid AIO coolers.

My country is hot so I recommend it over air coolers, it would work great though on colder places :)

Sorry, I didn't look at your country until you mentioned that, yeah, it is a bit warmer there than the UK ;-)

Posted

Sorry, I didn't look at your country until you mentioned that, yeah, it is a bit warmer there than the UK ;-)

It's cool. I have been to Manchester back in 2015 for Citizencon. I spent my days there with @BristolBoy he was very generous to let me stay in his house with his lovely family and pets :) 

Posted

It's cool. I have been to Manchester back in 2015 for Citizencon. I spent my days there with @BristolBoy he was very generous to let me stay in his house with his lovely family and pets :) 

Just to let you know, it doesn't always rain in the UK, that is a Manchester thing ;-)