Project STARFACE

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I'd like to organize a group of progammers for analysis of spectrum (when it's released) and developing of some APIs to use it or for use of spectrum's APIs ..  I, most probably, wouldn't have enough time to do a lot of coding by myself, but I'd be happy to assist where needed as well as participate heavily in software design activities :).

Let me know what do you think :)   (while I'd be more glad to see TA members in the team - it's open for all star citizens )

Posted

I don't think it will have any external API's. Have they said anything about it? The goal of Spectrum is to keep everything in-house, on CIG's system so it can be integrated into the game. 

Of course they can't really regulate that, eg: there is no reason to use Spectrum voice over Teamspeak unless we prefer it. 

Posted

I don't think it will have any external API's. Have they said anything about it?

Of course they did. At the very minimum they need to make some information from Spectrum consumable by star citizens .. so there always will be a chance to parse  outbound data (not the most efficient way, but still a way)

Posted

Of course they did. At the very minimum they need to make some information from Spectrum consumable by star citizens .. so there always will be a chance to parse  outbound data (not the most efficient way, but still a way)

That is not as easy as you make it sound. They can make it consumable by just showing it on the screen. Intercepting it and parsing it is an entirely different story. You deal with encryption, networking, and any protections they might have against that sort of thing. Doing that without an API can be a monster task. Again, they want to keep Spectrum as in-house as possible, so people use less third party programs. Unless they provide the tools for it, I don't see us being able to rip things from it. 

Posted

That is not as easy as you make it sound. They can make it consumable by just showing it on the screen.

well -  you know - it's possible to have a look at it already now ... I just don't want to start digging w/o good company :) - see https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/spectrum

Intercepting it and parsing it is an entirely different story. You deal with encryption, networking, and any protections they might have against that sort of thing. 

that's where you lost me ... it is visible on the screen and clickable from the browser ... so it is most probably html5 app .. and no need to intercept anything .. in worst case ("no api found") whatever we develop will be a legitimate client of the spectrum ... just not a human client :)

Posted

So Optix - are you in or not :) ?

Posted

I'll help where I can. This kind of programming is not my specialty. Longshot may be able to help better than I.

Posted

I'll help where I can. This kind of programming is not my specialty. Longshot may be able to help better than I.

Thanks, we'll see when it's released :)