CIG enacting zero tolerance policy towards cheating

12 posts in this topic

Posted

The rollout of the Star Marine FPS module has opened the door to a new wave of unscrupulous behavior.

7H5LTW6keuivagHfhY5xyW-650-80.jpg

I have no doubt that you will be shocked—shocked—to learn that the rollout of the Star Citizen Alpha 2.6.0, which includes the Star Marine FPS module, has led to reports of cheating. Some people just can't help themselves, I guess. Fortunately, developer Cloud Imperium Games has a "zero tolerance policy" for such shenanigans, as it said in response to one player complaint, and that people caught cheating will be perma-banned, with no refund. But complicating the situation somewhat is that for now, the studio requires that reports of cheating be accompanied by video evidence. 

24351d4.jpg

The problem is that not everyone has access to video capture setups, and those who do won't necessarily have them running when they fall victim to cheaters. It's not like you can ask them to smile and hold a pose while you capture your evidence, right? But CIG developer TylerN posted a follow-up message explaining that it's still early days for the anti-cheating effort, and the request for video evidence was made not only to back up claims, but also to help it come up with better anti-cheating tools. 

"Cheat prevention in Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is a priority for us, and we have gathered lots of feedback from internal and external sources since the initial release of Star Marine. Rest assured, we have already begun banning violators as well as working on short-term, and long-term solutions for preventing the use of 3rd party programs," he wrote. "Requesting video evidence helps us achieve a few things—It substantiates claims made by players, which we compare with our internal data, and it helps us improve the functionality of our tools to better combat cheaters proactively." 

It's a high burden of proof, then, but also a severe punishment for those caught behaving badly. I think that's a reasonable approach: As an alpha, Star Citizen is surely still too rough around the edges to rely too heavily on automated system, but alpha "testers" who are more interested in dicking around with the system to score a win aren't doing anyone any good.   

TylerN added that feedback from the thread will be forwarded "to the appropriate party so that our messaging is more clear going forward."

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-cheaters-face-permaban-with-no-refund-but-cig-needs-video-evidence/

Posted

Yeah, but it doesn't stop any cheating at present. Again, if you read closely, it says that any cheating will void any refund (which is the way). Also, "Zero tolernce" means basically they do fudge all. Zero tolerance can mean anything, but with CIG it seems like (with the forums anyway). If the think, but not confirm, they will ban/suspend straight away and there is no chance for getting it uplifted due to innocence.  

Anyway, I'd doubt there will be any change until  the VAC/punkbuster or what ever they call it.

Posted

1st. it's early alpha, so cheating doesn't do much harm except making you quit the current game and join another one. it's not like you dieng has any consequences. And it's not like the cheater getting to the top of the leaderboards counts for anything.

2nd. if they didn't ask for video evidence, it would be chaos. If you are anywhere half decent at Star Marine, you probably have at least 5 reports calling you a cheater.

3rd. lag and desync make it tough to judge. sometimes it may look like you got shot from behind a wall or something, but it's server lag and you got shot 2 seconds before you went behind that wall.

when you're dealing with accounts valued at thousands of dollars, you have to tread carefully.

Posted

This is really bad they shouldn't have made it perma ban because what happens if, 1 the person wasn't cheating and just had a really good aim and was constantly getting headshots or 2 it is abused by groups of players to spam report someone and forging a video which i'm sure wouldn't be too hard to do if your a good video editor.
The fact is with a game like this where people have put a lot of money into it and to perm ban anyone straight away with no warning makes me afraid to even play since i know that accounts can be hijacked and people get salty if your better than them.

Posted

I think it's a decent balance, on one hand it is alpha, and while cheating is wrong it's good to find the holes early and plug them and prevent future cheaters from entering in, but at the same time it should keep the worst of the worst out.

Posted

This is really bad they shouldn't have made it perma ban because what happens if, 1 the person wasn't cheating and just had a really good aim and was constantly getting headshots or 2 it is abused by groups of players to spam report someone and forging a video which i'm sure wouldn't be too hard to do if your a good video editor.
The fact is with a game like this where people have put a lot of money into it and to perm ban anyone straight away with no warning makes me afraid to even play since i know that accounts can be hijacked and people get salty if your better than them.

1) Its shooting people through walls, and doing it consistently. Not to mention CIG has telemetry on the matches, so they will be able to verify those things. Headshots also don't insta-kill in Star Marine, but are marked when they happen on the kill board. This is why video evidence is required, as it has to be plainly obvious that this is happening.

2) It would be extremely hard to forge something like that. No matter how good you are. There are so many things to match up to, such as desync, lag spikes, jerky movements, etc that happen in the current build. 

If you're afraid of someone hijacking an account, use the Two Factor Authentication available on the website. Makes it nearly impossible for someone to take your account. Otherwise, if you're caught on video cheating, then a perma-ban is definitely warranted. Companies have tried temp-bans before, and it never works. The person cheats once, gets temp-banned, then comes back and brags about all the gains they got. Its happened in way too many MMO's already.

This action by CIG is fine, but they have to be absolutely and completely sure that the person is cheating.

Posted (edited)

1st. it's early alpha, so cheating doesn't do much harm except making you quit the current game and join another one. it's not like you dieng has any consequences. And it's not like the cheater getting to the top of the leaderboards counts for anything.

2nd. if they didn't ask for video evidence, it would be chaos. If you are anywhere half decent at Star Marine, you probably have at least 5 reports calling you a cheater.

3rd. lag and desync make it tough to judge. sometimes it may look like you got shot from behind a wall or something, but it's server lag and you got shot 2 seconds before you went behind that wall.

when you're dealing with accounts valued at thousands of dollars, you have to tread carefully.

I agree with all these points...pretty much what I was going to say!

1: It's such an early stage the only harm it can really do is ruin a little fun...

2: This would most definitely happen as even last night I was playing and thought someone was cheating when a certain player who will remain unnamed @BristolBoy snuck up on me and seemingly one shot killed me whilst I was lying prone LOL (it was pretty slick though nice one mate)

3: As I mentioned in point two I believe that lag plays a big part in things and as it's still being fleshed out we won't know for sure until further down the line

Edited by Citadel

Posted

The problem is that not everyone has access to video capture setups

Apart from all NVidia users with a 6 series card and above or Windows 10 users.

Posted

Perma Ban on cheaters, DEATH to pirates by UEE law and Bounty Hunter Guild!

All I want to see now is 3.0, that star network better connect me to the INDIAN AWS server, my ping will be sub 50!

Posted

Good info. Thanks for sharing firefly.