Hero
DeadlySniper007

AMD Officially Announces Ryzen. Ryzen 5 Launches April 11th!

Release in 3 days :o Has anyone pre-ordered one of these?

I'm certainly ready to upgrade.  If Ryzen can decently close to the i7 7700k in single thread (I have no doubt it will beat it in multi-thread) then I'll certainly be picking one up.  Either way, I'm looking at a new CPU in about 2 weeks and I'm SO ready :D 

I wouldn't pre-order it before I at least heard the testimony of 3rd party reviewers. The last thing a manufacturer wants to do is express bad things about their freshest product, its up to the press and consumers to keep the company honest. I will say this: I was happy to see AMD post some negative performance in their slides (whether it was meant to be or not).

Edited by DeadlySniper007

Once again its a little discouraging AMD isn't able to keep up with their marketing team or their competitors (They should really consider going digital at this point (i.e. broken record player)). They're at a much better starting point, but any complacency or slow innovation and Intel will just overtake them with the next big advantage. Right now it's just a matter of dev and consumer adaptation.

@FriendCalledFive It's impressive isn't it? The 7700k was originally what I was aiming for, but I wanted to see how Ryzen would pan out. Guess its back on my radar.

I'm seeing conflicting information.  Some reviews have shown the Ryzen 7 to be nearly the same (within 5%) as the 7700k in games, while others have shown Ryzen 7 to be upwards of 20% worse.

Last year around December I was 100% going to get a 7700k after the holidays.  Then I was told to wait to see what Ryzen looked like.  I fell into the hype and it became 80% getting a Ryzen + 20% getting a 7700k.  I feel like at this point it's 60% towards the 7700k and 40% towards the Ryzen.

I just wish there was a consistent picture.  I think I'm more conflicted now than ever :(

The discrepancies can lie in any number of reasons the testing methodologies of the reviewers for one - some play a multiplayer match where there are hardly any constants to compare anything equally, some play a static level but the playthroughs don't match up, others the reviewers don't always use the same graphics settings, etc.

I've also heard explanations given by AMD saying that performance is skewed because most games haven't been optimized for AMD CPU's especially this new architecture. AMD has been an afterthought in the cpu market for so long, it wasn't worth the expenditure optimizing for obsolete cpus. Which is why they're deploying thousands of ryzen dev kits in 2017 to help solve this shortcoming - over 300 devs are currently working on optimizations as we speak. They also said there were problems rushing press motherboards with up to date EFI versions.

Well I think it looks like a good cpu, the 1800x loosing to the 7700k in gaming but it is the same with Intel 6900k with have a lot higer price tag.

It will be very good for workstation and Ok for gaming, and when bios and software is updated it might change for the better.

Insightful. I'm glad it'll be at least another half year before I build my next rig. Plenty of time for this to all settle out.

All my monitors are still 27" 1920x1200 (I prefer 1200 over 1080), but I suppose it is true that it'll be time to start looking into acquiring higher res monitors at some point in the next year or so. I like the 27" size though and think I'll stick with that. Not too big, not too small. Seems just right to me, and avoids the problem of having a monitor that is so big that some of the image is barely in your peripheral vision.