Hero
Sign in to follow this  
gadgetick

New to Gaming Need Hard Drive

Hey Guys i am new to gaming and wanted to know which hard drive will be best for best gaming experience. 
My PC is very slow running PC. I have heard that an external hard drive can fix that. 

Please recommend a very low budget external hard drive.Please dont throw your affiliate links and try to help me. 
Thanks

An external drive probably won't be any quicker than your internal drive. If you want speed, you want to add an internal SSD drive, but they aren't as cheap. You can have fast or you can have "very low budget".

If you don't know about PC's, specifying the rest of your PC setup would help us.

Hi there. To help you, please tell us here the following:

CPU (central processing unit) Model and speed of your current PC:

RAM Size and Type:

Storage Type and size: Spinning HDD or Solid State Drive (SSD):

GPU (graphics processing unit) Model and size:

Also your budget for the upgrade.

M.2?

In the case of my gaming rig, no. I just bought a regular internal 2.5 inch SATA SSD because it didn't have an M.2 slot.

I bought an M.2 SSD for my RAID server because it supports it and that left the four SATA connections for the hard drives.

For my next gaming rig, I'm not sure if I'll go with an M.2 SSD or an internal 2.5 inch SATA SSD. I guess M.2 may be faster? But it sort of reduces my ability to easily move the drive around. What if you want to upgrade the M.2 SSD to a bigger size? Since there's only one M.2 slot then I guess you need a get an M.2 to SATA adaptor so you can plug the M.2 SSD into a regular SATA connector..? Ugh. So I may just stick with another 2.5 inch SATA SSD on my next rig to keep things simple.

I don't think anyone recommended that you should buy an external hard drive. It is unlikely that it will help.

Having an external hard drive is a good idea for backing up your data, so it isn't necessarily a bad purchase, but depending on the specifics of your computer setup you most likely would benefit from either getting an SSD, a better GPU, more RAM, or (in the worst case) just getting a new computer. Possibly a new CPU could help as well, but usually when you start talking about CPU upgrades it is time to just get a new computer due to the cost, difficulty of the upgrade, and the marginal benefit. On the other hand, upgrading to an SSD or increasing RAM are fairly cheap and easy options, and upgrading the GPU is at least easy (if not always cheap).

But to give any specific advice we'd need to know the specs of your computer as it stands right now.

At least you'll have a place to backup your important data, though.

Are you on a laptop? I'd suggest against laptops for any long term solution to gaming they are vastly underpowered for their cost compared to desktops. And upgrade capabilities are very limited.

if you are. You can hook up a new ssd externally, format it, swap it out for your internal hdd. Fresh install windows. And put your hdd as an external to retrieve all the things you desire off of it.