Concierge can now buy the Eclipse (warbond only)

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

First off great hypothetical situation, it felt so personal. Size 9 Good God!?! I must've looked over that. I was going to compare it to the Retaliator which also costs $275 and is equipped with torpedoes, but they're only S3 (which is very odd considering they look 40x bigger than the Eclipse's). I agree that the Eclipse fits its role perfectly and it will be an extremely formidable ship to be reckoned with. A single-seater stealth bomber capable of destroying capital ships is just a lot to swallow. Maybe I'm just in shock more than anything else. I figured the Gladiator was going to be the standard single (technically double) seater bomber available, having S5 torpedoes and costing $165.

A single Eclipse isn't going to be a Capital ship killer, a squadron of 4 or 5 may cause significant damage though. We don't really know until they allow us to even use the size 9 torpedoes. At best, I can see a single Eclipse being able to disable "Medium" sized ships like the Connie, Starfarer and Caterpillar. 

The Tali has 6 size 9 torps, this was mentioned in the Jump Point for the Eclipse:

Torpedo Bay S9 x 1 (10m x 4m x 2.5m) Contains 3 torpedoes stored horizontally side-by-side Individual torpedo size 9m x 0.9m x 0.9m Same torpedo size as the Retaliator

The Gladiator will still be the default choice for many orgs in their Idris's. It has plenty of firepower to protect the carrier, along with torpedoes should the enemy carrier be close enough for a retaliatory attack. 
The Eclipse is a very niche bomber, used as a "First Attack" type of ship, as it can't defend it's host carrier.

The way I can see the Eclipse being used:

Tactical Advance has enough members on to fill 2 Idris's for their weekly org night fun. One carrier is in a "support" role, having multiple Eclipses' and a Terrapin for scouting, while the second Idris is more conventionally loaded by housing a all Gladiator squadron. The support Idris would go ahead of the fleet and deploy the Terrapin, once the Terrapin has locked onto a target, the support Idris launches it's squadron of Eclipses while the first Idris jumps to the support Idris and prepares it's squadrons. Once the Eclipses' have launched their attack, the first Idris jumps to the now disabled enemy and deploys her Gladiator squadron. In the meantime, the support Idris recovers her Eclipses' and joins her sister ship in finishing off the disabled enemy. 

Edited by Waor

Posted

A single Eclipse isn't going to be a Capital ship killer, a squadron of 4 or 5 may cause significant damage though. We don't really know until they allow us to even use the size 9 torpedoes. At best, I can see a single Eclipse being able to disable "Medium" sized ships like the Connie, Starfarer and Caterpillar. 

Maybe it's what I initially thought, but I wasn't intending to say that one ship could destroy a capital ship. Only that I wasn't expecting that there would be another single-seater bomber that had capabilities beyond the Gladiator and being on par with a Tali (in terms of price/size of payload). One things for certain it's definitely going to pack a punch on a direct hit. 

The Tali has 6 size 9 torps, this was mentioned in the Jump Point for the Eclipse:

The Gladiator will still be the default choice for many orgs in their Idris's. It has plenty of firepower to protect the carrier, along with torpedoes should the enemy carrier be close enough for a retaliatory attack. 
The Eclipse is a very niche bomber, used as a "First Attack" type of ship, as it can't defend it's host carrier.

Ahh now that makes a lot more sense. I was going off the ship stats page which didn't provide much detail at all to the specificity of the Retaliator's armaments. Still the pictures of the Eclipse don't do the torpedoes justice. For a very niche bomber it's very expensive - a $25-50 deduction possibly could've been justified.