Around the Verse - Upgrading Ships to Item 2.0

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Learn how the implementation of Item 2.0 will affect your ship. Sandi Gardiner and Eric Kieron Davis host this week’s episode, which also features studio updates from Austin and Turbulent.

Highlights

Studio Update
Austin
Design

• Some core tasks they've been focused on are state machines for the first NPCs being implemented and state machines for organization of animation assets for Mission Givers as well as the navigation beacon system.
  • State machines are used for visualizing how the NPCs will behave, but tell animators when and where animations need to transition between each other.
  • The navigation beacon system will allow players to create their own roads so to speak within a star system. These beacons can also be shared for others to use. Beacons can also be hacked or destroyed allowing a variety of gameplay options to occur such as selling points of interest, hacking a beacon and selling the location to pirates for an ambush, or disrupt the ability to travel.
  • Miles Eckhart is getting polish along with other mission givers by the Derby office.
  • Miles will be unlockable through reputation earned by completing other quests and once unlocked will give a variety of mission encounters.

PU

• Tony Zurovec has completed the conversion of the subsumption tech to Linux for integration into the backend system and also completed the shopping service for game mode to hook it up.
  • Review and directed mission scenarios for 3.0.

Ship Art

• Josh Coons has been busy with LODs for the Cutlass black in order to optimize the performance at varying distances. This process takes awhile due to the LODs being mainly crafted by hand.

Engineering

• Providing support for the shopping service.
  • Engineers created a Diffusion gateway service that allows external and non Diffusion services to communicate with the game as if they were internal Diffusion services.
  • Diffusion also had a focus on integration into the primary game development stream.
  • A new tool is being developed for the creation of services via a simple UI for engineers to add, remove, or modify components and give resource management control. This saves a massive amount of time for engineers.
  • Ooze has had Star Citizen specific extensions added to it which gives Diffusion greater access to services to provide more intricate support for gameplay features.
  • Work on the router mesh functionality which distributes services over multiple router endpoints and created improvised redundant communication paths between other services. The goal for the router mesh is to provide a high level service availability and performance.

PU Animation Team

• Finished the two handed carry animations which include standing, crouching, and zero g.
  • Players when standing can pick 25, 50, and 75cm crates which is the new standard metric for crates.
  • Crouching players can pickup 25, and 50cm crates.
  • Zero g players can pick 25, 50, and 75cm crates and move them around in space.
  • Players will be able to pick objects off the floor and lift them onto a shelf that's 175cm high if deisred.
  • a mocap shoot was done by Steve Bender  for FPS starts and stops for the stock rifle animation set and captured Sandi Gardiner doing female exercises for the exercise usable.
  • Also captured animations for other various things such as going into a bar, ordering and receiving a drink, or buying things from a shopkeeper.

Ship Animation Team

• Continued work on cockpit experience.
  • Updating Gforce blend space poses, utilizing a low pass filter for smoother, smarter camera motion and adjusting geometry to allow for button presses.
  • Also adding the ability to make com calls within a ship during flight.

DevOps

• Optimizing the build and publishing systems.
  • Ahmed and his team have been collecting feedback from three network locations to compare to internal data and have found ways to improve performance.

QA

• Focus on figuring out which bugs are relevant and not as the new tech has rendered many bugs obsolete and not requiring fixing by developers because of the new systems coming online saving a lot of developer time on inquiries.
  • New vehicles, ships, and FPS items came online with the Behring P8SC SMG as an example of one of them.
  • Testing the new procedural breathing and stamina system as well as the air traffic controller.
  • Bug fixes and quality of life fixes for the launcher.
  • Support for the animation team with mocap file clean up, setup and take down of shoots, and editor bug testing.

Player Relations

• Focused on preparing for 3.0 and the new player experience which will be going up on the site to match the content that's in the game.
  • Evocati ranks are growing in the coming weeks and more folks are being added to Austin, Manchester, and Frankfurt QA.

Turbulent

• The RSI website is undergoing a redesign in order to consolidate everything that's currently playable and give new players and existing players a good idea of what Star Citizen has to offer and allow newcomers to understand what Star Citizen is all about.
    • They've taken inspiration from many websites that they've liked which have fit this approach they're going for and were inspired by the many community contributions that have helped new players and created immersive content for many to view.
  • A new module will be implemented to guide new players into the right direction of how to play Star Citizen. This a guide on how to master Star Citizen, but to get your feet wet and let you figure out what you're doing and go from there.
    • This module is being designed as modular as it can be to allow it to adapt to the changes and new features the game will release in the coming months and years.
  • Spectrum 0.3.5 should be released by now and if not will be in the coming days.  
    • One of the features available in 0.3.5 is the ability for the viewer to choose whether to view the thread in chronological or nested and have the setting persist across all clients and sessions.
    • Another feature is the read state and allowing users to know which threads or replies they haven't seen as indicated with a yellow dot in multiple areas on Spectrum.
    • Tags are also being changed to allow for better customisation of them and the ability to manipulate bookmarks to whatever you'd like to call them.
    • Search is being upgraded to allow for search filtering of author or role and mobile now has the search function available.
    • 0.3.5 will also come with several performance improvements with thread listing being 10 times faster than before.
  • 0.3.6 will feature a revamp of the mini profiles and have actions available on them as new builds release such as the friends system.
    • 0.3.6 will also allow for custom roles and be able to add and assign roles to members through the mini profile.
    • 0.3.6 is also going to have endline images, linked formatting and more formatting options.
    • Private group messaging is slated for 0.3.6, but may not make it will 0.3.7.
  • Voice and game integration is still ongoing as well.

Ship Migration Part 1

• To support the long term features we wanted in the game we're currently converting all of our ships to the new Item 2.0 Framework
  • Components need updating to fit the new architecture so they will work with the new Interaction System
  • Every single team at CIG is working towards this due to the level of and demands of the features wanted
  • The old 1.0 infrastructure worked well for it's time, but with the level of complexity and features we wanted it would soon lead to chaos as far as controls and callbacks were concerned not to mention if something needed to be augmented or added at a later date, and in the process increasing variety as well
  • The Item 2.0 System is actually allowing components to affect game-play in a logical and intuitive manner as with quantum fuel tanks on bigger ships allowing more fuel and thus longer distances before refueling
  • The new Interaction System now ties interactions with certain interaction points enabling more contextual and logical control behavior
  • Every team literally is having to revisit all of our animations, damage materials, the UV2s and even props
  • Where lights are concerned they now have things called light groups that designate where these lights are and when exporting the level it creates item ports where the lights attach to, now the control manager is aware of them and they can get power and control
    • They took it a step further and have something called the light controller which registers to the control manager and the lights register to that now there’s, for example, a button to turn lights on and off
  • Each ship requires an entire retrofit from step one
    • Interactions that used to occur automatically, some of that control has been given over to the player
    • In some cases they took old assets and updated the code to implement them, in other cases they updated the assets to adhere to the new code
  • Balance tweaks which will give the player incentive to explore upgraded items
  • They need to maintain game play that the community loves with the balance and hard work done by the designers
  • A lot more capacity for multicrew ships with Item 2.0
  • Each component (Ex: physics, geometry, etc) can have their own update or they can update in a batch update
  • One of the biggest improvements they hope is going to be with the IFCS
    • Just recently moved it from a main thread physics to one of these batch updates

Courtesy of Relay

Edited by Akanoes

Posted

physicalized navigation beacon concept presented in this week's ATV  

(billymcguffin posted this on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6er4zx/nav_beacon_brief_from_atv/ )

This text regarding the new nav beacon system was included in this weeks ATX studio update. I believe only part of the document was included in the video, so there may be more that we can't see yet.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS

One Page Brief

Nav beacons represent the method by which players can blaze their own trail off the established routes defined by the Navigation Network. Even though this system allows travel without the hierarchical Parent/Chiled node tiers, the freedom of doing so is curbed by several gameplay features detailed below. It should be noted that this system is not intended to diminish or replace the Navigation Network system, but rather work with it to provide a comprehensive travel system.

• Players can carve their own paths through space through exploration and beacon placement. This will be time consuming and expensive, both in initial cost and on-going maintenance.
  • Navigation beacons are temporary and require the OWNER to visit them once within the service interval or they will disappear. To put it another way, ROADS through the JUNGLES of space must be MAINTAINED at regular intervals or they DISAPPEAR.
  • Navigation beacons have a maximum range at which they will generate a QT marker. Occluding objects (planets, moons, etc.) or areas (low density asteroid fields, gas clouds) can reduce the range at which a QT marker is usable, or prevent use altogether. This creates obstacles that the player must navigate to travel to his selected destination.
  • Beacon-based pathways will almost always be outside the normally, 'secure' areas since the UEE or other authority will not patrol them. Thus players will be taking an appreciably increased personal risk to use player created routes. Once we have the proper systems in place, the more traffic a point sees, the more often it will see pirate incursion.
  • It is not certain that players will create the most efficient travel network since they will not have access to a full map that shows the shape and size of encounter areas.
  • Other players can scan and find the beacon, at which point they can use the beacon to travel or destroy it.

Full Design

Navigation Beacons have 2 main parts.

1. A droppable, physicalized object with limited lifetime persistence in the game world (Will be built in this way - SYSTEM - Modular devices and follow these rules SYSTEM -Universe Structure and Traversal Rules) [this text contains links to other documents which are not available]
  2. UI elements on the starmap (and potentially the HUD) to help the player use the beacon.

Placement

Beacons can be placed on the ground, or in space. Beacons can be placed anywhere that is not within the airspace of a major landing zone.

Space and Ground Placement

1. Player moves to a destination where he would like to place a beacon.
  2. Selects the beacon from his missile loadout using the normal missile selection controls.
  3. Ejects the beacon from the missile rack by using the missile fire button. The ejection force is enough to clear the immediate vicinity of the ship but not carry it any great distance. (should be similar to how a mine might be dropped from the ship)
  4. Ground placement will need to deal with gravity. Since the item can take damage, the player will need to be careful with how they deploy it.

Travel

Generally, travel to beacons fallows all rules for Quantum Travel outlined in the SYSTEM - Quantum Travel & Interdiction doc [this text links to another document which is not available], with the following additional functionality.

Space Beacon Operation

Players are brought out of QT at the obstr uction volume associated with the beacon (SYSTEM - Universe Structure and Traversal Rules) [this text links to another document which is not available], unless the beacon is placed within a larger volume, in qhich case it is brought out at the first obstruction volume it encounters.

Ground Beacon Operation

Ground Beacons work like space beacons, but since the beacon will be inside the arrival volume of the larger entity (as described above), any ship using it will be brought out of quantum along the Inner Nave Network (See Example Here [this text links to another document which is not available]) Pete Mackay - Need to update image.

The following image was included at the bottom of the visible document: http://imgur.com/9HwxtAB.png

Posted

Military can use them beacon to practice. They can put one down then send someone to sell the dater. Then when the pirates turn up we can kill them. And get some UEC for it. 

Posted

Military can use them beacon to practice. They can put one down then send someone to sell the dater. Then when the pirates turn up we can kill them. And get some UEC for it. 

How would you know 100% that pirates have bought the information? 

It could be a friendly ORG that just wants to have a look, i believe using this tech with your tactics could be dangerous and trigger happy.  

Posted

How would you know 100% that pirates have bought the information? 

It could be a friendly ORG that just wants to have a look, i believe using this tech with your tactics could be dangerous and trigger happy.  

Because we be the one's selling the info at grim hex. We don't have to do it. But it was just a idea. 

Just thought it give military something to do and people could train at bounty hunting. How to take out ships with out killing the people in the ship. If I had this idea that means a 100 other people have to. But it up to the people in charge. 

Posted

Because we be the one's selling the info at grim hex. We don't have to do it. But it was just a idea. 

Just thought it give military something to do and people could train at bounty hunting. How to take out ships with out killing the people in the ship. If I had this idea that means a 100 other people have to. But it up to the people in charge. 

I do understand what you are saying mate and if we can get it in the hands of pirates i can see it would be a useful training tool, my fear is if the data was sold on the open market and we hit non-pirates, as it would maybe give TA i bad name in the verse. It is my understanding we want to show Strength in some situations and Hope in other's.  

Maybe not Hope but i had already used Understanding in the sentence lol

Posted

I do understand what you are saying mate and if we can get it in the hands of pirates i can see it would be a useful training tool, my fear is if the data was sold on the open market and we hit non-pirates, as it would maybe give TA i bad name in the verse. It is my understanding we want to show Strength in some situations and Hope in other's.  

Hope for our friends. Laser and bullets for people we don't like.  

Posted

Hope for our friends. Laser and bullets for people we don't like.  

lol cant say fairer than that 

Posted (edited)

I can not say anything, even if I wanted to, because this is an open topic for everyone, and pirates too. :angel:

Edited by FoggyEagle

Posted

Follow the Industry, Mining, and Exploration guys if you want to see too much action for one night Military guys ;)