Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
Lancebringer

Dreamsheet 1151. 2066 is untested and not out yet. Thoughts?

Im going to build a dreamsheet for a solid and future resistant desktop upgrade for myself.
I currently am running an ASUS mobo with an FX-6200 lodged into its AM3+ socket. I have some Gskill ram thats helping push the EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ with AXC 2.0.

So my upgrade sheet will probably not include a video card, as I only play at 1920*1080. If I do it will be a future upgrade to add at some point.
My PSU should be pushing adequate power as its a Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W. Modular, and I love it.

So. Lets start with a Motherboard.
Socket first? 1151. 2011v3 is great and all, but for multithreading and heavy cpu work, which I dont do. I'm a gamer, remember? Even then, I should be able to process any video/audio needs should that spark fly in my direction.
Make? Asus. Always had asus, they have never let me down. Friends have had Gigabyte and ASRock, and have been let down.
Form?  ATX.
So.. Wheres that put me?

ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1 LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132934

The Z270 is not a completely necessary chipset over prior generations, but hey, 7th gen Intel is 7th gen Intel.
The TUF provides a VERY similar spec sheet to the 40 dollar cheaper 270-A prime, but with a 5 year warranty, a stronger board, and more robust cooling, Ill take it. Better cooling=increased gaming duration and reliability.

Now the Processor, this should be easy, do I need an i7? no. this is a gaming computer, until game makers actually start using more cores, its a moot point, Even then, I can upgrade a processor easy.
Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I57600K
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117728
Is it as good as the Ryzen that just came out? Not really. But Im going to back away from the AMD circuit, they tend to lean to better performance with the ATI cards, and I just cant stand them (its the way they render color).

To be continued.

Seems pretty well thought out, but not really all that future resistant.

If you don't need to upgrade yet, why bother? Lots of dust has yet to settle. If you're sticking with the same GPU, which is the key gaming differentiator anyway, it sounds like you have no reason to build a new machine yet.

1151 is totally defensible as a choice if you need to build something right now. But if you can wait, then wait. Six months from now you'll be able to make a "future resistant" choice that will actually provide multi year upgrade options.

Seems pretty well thought out, but not really all that future resistant.

If you don't need to upgrade yet, why bother? Lots of dust has yet to settle. If you're sticking with the same GPU, which is the key gaming differentiator anyway, it sounds like you have no reason to build a new machine yet.

1151 is totally defensible as a choice if you need to build something right now. But if you can wait, then wait. Six months from now you'll be able to make a "future resistant" choice that will actually provide multi year upgrade options.

good point, but as of right now the 2066 is very rushed, it may turn into the new 980/970 screwup. Time will tell. As of right now im running on 6+ year old hardware, and it was dated when i built it (budget build) and I STILL went with the AM3 pile of garbage.
When I ordered my card it was more than a year before the new cards came available (everyone said wait for the 1000 series)

A solid build. Anything beyond AM3 should feel like a considerable improvement. However I agree with Drakin that unless you can't afford to delay an upgrade any longer, it may be better to just wait. With SSD and RAM memory reaching some of their peak prices and Intel's Coffee Lake supposedly coming out at the end of the year promising mainstream 6 core processing (which I believe is what Drakin was alluding to) a little more patience could go a long way. We've been stuck in an endless loop of Quad core processors for nearly a decade and have only recently started realizing it's limitations. Buying a quad-core now almost feels like buying an old blackberry phone on the heels of the first "smartphone" release (aka Iphone). Okay maybe not that transformative but we will finally be able to escape this plateau. 1151 is a strong and stable platform, but it won't provide the kind of future proof system your looking for. 

Edited by DeadlySniper007

A solid build. Anything beyond AM3 should feel like a considerable improvement. However I agree with Drakin that unless you can't afford to delay an upgrade any longer, it may be better to just wait. With SSD and RAM memory reaching some of their peak prices and Intel's Coffee Lake supposedly coming out at the end of the year promising mainstream 6 core processing (which I believe is what Drakin was alluding to) a little more patience could go a long way. We've been stuck in an endless loop of Quad core processors for nearly a decade and have only recently started realizing it's limitations. Buying a quad-core now almost feels like buying an old blackberry phone on the heels of the first "smartphone" release (aka Iphone). Okay maybe not that transformative but we will finally be able to escape this plateau. 1151 is a strong and stable platform, but it won't provide the kind of future proof system your looking for. 

Yea, Im just going to wait for the 2066 motherboard and x series 4.0ghz i5 at a cheap price to come out. Gaming really doesnt use too many cores, so this new i5 will be quite literally ground breaking for the pc gaming market