Tactical Advance
Donerkebab

Help needed with troubleshooting

So I think I either broke my motherboard or CPU. While miming ethereum (just for shits and giggles) my PC froze completly. It showed a static image of the screen, not even the time would update. After a forced reboot I encountered the same problem. I thought at first it was a RAM issue and ordered a new module. It's not the RAM. PC will show the BIOS/UEFI but when starting to boot windows, it freezes after 1-2 seconds.
Now I dont want to invest in a new PC in Order to find out whats broken and RMA that.
So, whats broken? Thanks in (tactical) advance
System Specs:
i5 7400
GTX1060
500GB WD BLUE SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
16 GB of Crucial Value DDR4 2133
MSI 250M Pro VD
EVGA 600W Bronze

as you  are saying "frozen image"  I'd suspect  1) videocard  2) soundcard (most probably build in).

Do you have any  way to slow down the pc ( forbig turbo boost etc.) ?

And perhaps there is some kind of build-in diagnostic in bios ?

It wont boot with/without the videocard, so I can rule that one out. As for soundcard I can't tell. How are such diagnostics labelled?

Edited by Donerkebab
Spelling, Clarification of thought

Hello,

Do you use the stock cooler? Intel has the worst solution ever on those. That being said,  I have seen strange issues when the CPU cooler don't connect properly. Take it off and put it back on to be sure. Use new cooling paste. 

Don't boot? Do you mean that you get the same issue when you connect your screen to the motherboard?

qic

Don't boot? Do you mean that you get the same issue when you connect your screen to the motherboard?

qic

Yes, exactly. Setting the BIOS to UEFI mode only did not improve the situation. As far as I can tell from BIOS CPU temps seem to be fine.
But I need to test further. Question is what to buy next. CPU or motherboard?

So I think I either broke my motherboard or CPU. While miming ethereum (just for shits and giggles) my PC froze completly. It showed a static image of the screen, not even the time would update. After a forced reboot I encountered the same problem. I thought at first it was a RAM issue and ordered a new module. It's not the RAM. PC will show the BIOS/UEFI but when starting to boot windows, it freezes after 1-2 seconds.
Now I dont want to invest in a new PC in Order to find out whats broken and RMA that.
So, whats broken? Thanks in (tactical) advance
System Specs:
i5 7400
GTX1060
500GB WD BLUE SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
16 GB of Crucial Value DDR4 2133
MSI 250M Pro VD
EVGA 600W Bronze

Hey I'm just about to purchase the set like this. With i5 processor and GTX1060. I'm actually here to look for advices on building the set, but I got some ideas after looking into yours. 

May I ask where you got the set? For how much? I'm looking at this $700 gaming PC, it has the parts similar to yours.

On 8/4/2017 at 1:49 PM, Donerkebab said:

Switched the mobo, same result. Returned the CPU, replacement should arrive next week.

I would have suspected the motherboard as well.

if your issue persists after CPU swap; Have a look at your ram

On 8.8.2017 at 12:29 PM, NadaDeepp said:

On 8.8.2017 at 12:29 PM, NadaDeepp said:

Hey I'm just about to purchase the set like this. With i5 processor and GTX1060. I'm actually here to look for advices on building the set, but I got some ideas after looking into yours. 

May I ask where you got the set? For how much? I'm looking at this $700 gaming PC, it has the parts similar to yours.

Sorry, was absent for quite some time. I purchased the parts individually