Hero
LordSeb

Game Recording software etc. YouTube

Hey all,

I am thinking of maybe starting a sci fi and strategy game YouTube channel. Never done anything like it in my life haha. It's more of an experiment that if goes well, I  am going to go make a channel for my writing.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who has gone and done that sorta thing before could share some wisdom.
What kinda software will I need?
Is Fraps the best for in game recording, also is it easy to use? It is the first thing that came to mind, but if there is better things out there I am interested.
Does Fraps also capture your mic in-game or is it better to capture commentary or voice post production? (I mean I have an Olympus DM-720 I could use for voice work).
I'm using GIMP for banners and things because Macromedia Fireworks went the way of the software dinosaurs. Is there something better for making interesting ship textures?
I used Adobe Premier back in the day, is there a cheaper similar alternative?

Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Trying to do things myself or on the cheap, because this is starting out as an experiment, but rather than completely reinventing the wheel, I thought I might ask.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Cheers,

Seb 

I used Fraps for a while but shadowplay is much better in terms of performance. You should consider it as you'll upgrade your GPU/change notebook.

I do minor video editing, I started with movie maker, now I'm using DaVinci Resolve. It's free, quite easy to use. This is an example (keep in mind I don't spend too much time editing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx_FMHdw2oY

Images & co are done with GIMP.

I used the built in recording software that TeamSpeak Overwolf uses. Great as it records audio from TeamSpeak as well.

Editing, I went and grabbed Adobe Premier Elements 15. Does everything I need as a amateur without being overly complicated like a full blown editing software. 

Edited by Waor

Thanks a bunch folks. You've all chucked in some brilliant two cents. Just finished going through suggestions and so far I am really liking OBS. I was taught a bit in Adobe Premier Pro, so see how we go, I might give elements a go.

Thanks again.

Hahaha yea....... It is an arm and a leg on a subscription. I think like $40 Australian a month for pro.  Um they have Premier and Photoshop essentials bundled in for an outright price of I think about $165. Either all a bit out of the pocket range for an amateur or experiment. I also don't know the difference or how limited essentials versions are against their pro variants. 

Main reason I reach for Premier, is it is  what I learnt back 2006-7ish. From what I remember you can run multiple video feed/audio feeds in an easy drag and drop method. There probably is a lot of changes since those days, so I'd still be open minded if I found something equivalent open source/free that does the job.

Haha I mean it is a shame there isn't like an Audacity like software for video.

I am going to download a trial of Photoshop and Premier Essentials, see what it's like in the interim.

I tried Audacity ages ago, I think DaVinci Resolve might be a good parallel for video editing (as I mentioned there's a free version).

Anyway, whatever program you're going to use, it will be certainly better than Movie Maker :D

I use OBS myself, and photoshop or Blender for photos.

Would you have any tips on OBS settings? I've been recording to MP4 format, but am getting considerable stutter or framerate lag in the video feed of recordings in both Star Citizen and Stellaris. The games themselves are running smooth, so it is a bit confusing to see the visual feed issue in the recorded videos. The audio comes out perfect. Probably worth mentioning I am using display capture and running in admin for star citizen and obs.
My specs are a U500vz Asus Zenbook:
I7-
3612QM, 4core core.
8g ram
Nvidia Geforce GT 650M.
512mb solid state.

Anyway any thoughts or tips on settings to help overcome it would be greatly appreciated. I'll attach my current settings in images.

Thanks

Seb

cap 1.JPG

cap 2.JPG

Would you have any tips on OBS settings? I've been recording to MP4 format, but am getting considerable stutter or framerate lag in the video feed of recordings in both Star Citizen and Stellaris. The games themselves are running smooth, so it is a bit confusing to see the visual feed issue in the recorded videos. The audio comes out perfect. Probably worth mentioning I am using display capture and running in admin for star citizen and obs.My specs are a U500vz Asus Zenbook:
I7-
3612QM, 4core core.8g ram
Nvidia Geforce GT 650M.
512mb solid state.

Anyway any thoughts or tips on settings to help overcome it would be greatly appreciated. I'll attach my current settings in images.

Thanks

Seb

cap 1.JPG

cap 2.JPG

I do not believe your GPU is fast enough to support both playing the game and the video encoding. I would suggest encoding in x264. This will use your cpu instead of your gpu

Edited by Treello

I would also suggest starting your adventures till you upgrade recording in a downscaled format to about 720p... this will free up some resources. and also if your doing it for youtube 9/10 people do not watch youtube in full screen. They watch it in the little box so the smaller resolution will look fine.

I would also suggest starting your adventures till you upgrade recording in a downscaled format to about 720p... this will free up some resources. and also if your doing it for youtube 9/10 people do not watch youtube in full screen. They watch it in the little box so the smaller resolution will look fine.

Before you start there, drop your bitrate to something reasonable say 12,000-14,000, your bitrate is at overkill right now.

Keep your final FPS reasonable, say around 30 FPS, yes watchers will see the difference versus someone with a 60 FPS rig, but until you have a full gaming rig i doubt you could really do much better.

Don't try to play high quality games, stick to lower graphic games, this will improve quality alot. think Portal 2 or CSGO, BF4 and such.

Here is my settings, mind you its been a while and with my rig i probably can do better.

Output: Advanced

Type Custom

Output type: To File

Bitrate 18,000

Audio Bitrate: 192

FPS: 30 (locked)

So here's how OBS works, while you're recording, it is acting like a second monitor, so your cpu is doing double the workload as its doing the screen your seeing and the "digital" screen thats being saved as .mp4

The drawback is that your CPU or GPU (or both) is doing double what it normally does, so if you can get 60 fps out of Star Citizen, your lucky to have 30 FPS recording. But the software doesnt slow its self down to 30 FPS, it just keeps asking for more than what your PC can give.

By forcing the recording down to 30 FPS, you get back your performance, at least a little bit. 

DISCLAIMER:

Its been awhile, some of what i have said is just theory, and better updates and improvements to OBS may fix some of the issues you have.

Also, get a real SSD man! :P

T_D

:D Well a real SSD requires fitting it into this. You get a gold medal if you do. I am dubious about opening it up to put additional ram in, it is pretty damn thin compared to plugging and playing with a desktop.

On a side note, thanks to you both. I tried your way first Director and things picked up massively in Star Citizen, I got reasonable framerate in the video feed. When I dropped it to 720p as per Treello's advice I suddenly feel like I have jumped up to 40-50 frames. Things are running very smooth now, so I can do some hangar tours have a bit of a laugh.

If what you are saying is true and everything is working double the effort, I am surprised my laptop hasn't burnt through the cooling pad. I really am putting my Zen Book through its paces.

One thing to note, if anyone else ends up getting use out of this thread is, if you have a dual intel/Nvidia setup graphics card setup, don't force it to the Nvidia card. I tried that in the Nvidia manager and OBS had a absolute fit. Refused to take video feed from my display, when on my desktop and in game. Just black screen of preview. For some reason, it prefers to be forced onto the intel card and then utilises the Nvidia. Beats the hell out of me why. You would think the feed was all happening on the Nvidia.

Anyway, thanks again you guys. We had a win!

skinny laptop.jpg

On another note, Lightworks appears to be a pretty damn amazing editing software. It is free, but you can get a paid version available for outright or subscription payments. To me that trumps Adobe Premier because it means you aren't constantly shelling out for it.

Alrighty! Back to square one sort of. Does anyone use OBS with an AMD card? I have found all the options are completely different.

I'm using a desktop now with an AMD HD 7700 and an AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor 4.00 GHZ coupled to 32G RAM.
Anyway recommendations or thoughts would once again be great.

Edited by LordSeb

I think I will say you are right Waor, I went in from the perspective of the 7700 being a bottleneck. I changed the encoder to the x264 (off top of my head) which uses CPU over graphics card and the shift worked like a charm. I guess the graphics card just doesn't have enough get up and go to do most of the work. Getting 60FPS with 59-58 on very rare occasions.