Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
LordSeb

On the prowl for a monitor. Any recommendations?

Hey folks,

I'm on the look out for a monitor if anyone has any recommendations or anecdotes on their own, I would be grateful.

I am mainly looking to be using it for gaming, but I want one that prioritises quality of image. Looking probably between $500-$700 AUD and 27'-32'.

Currently these two 32' have piqued my interests:
https://www.binglee.com.au/samsung-32-inches-fhd-curved-monitor

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/monitors/samsung/samsung-32-series-7-curved-wqhd-monitor/441891/

The last time I bought a computer monitor was in 2002, so has much changed since then?

Cheers,

Seb

P.S not looking for a 4k monitor, because they require a super oomfy graphics card.

Edited by LordSeb

All I would say from my own experience is that anything over 27" means you start having to move your head a lot - it gets tiring. I settled on a pair of Iiyama 27" GB2773HS. Lovely quality image at 1080 - not 4k, but they are 144Hz 1ms screens on a Display Port. Iiyama are frequently overlooked but they are solid and good quality. From experience the only screen ive experienced that comes close is a Samsung. I'm looking to put both mine onto a desk mount - to free up some desk space, but also raise them a bit more.

I have much the same experience as Bursar, I am currently using an Iiyama 27" GB2788HS. The FreeSync on it has gone to waste a little bit (still hoping either AMD gets its s**t together or nVidia will start to support it at some point), but otherwise its 144Hz is nice and it's bright enough even during bright summer days.

Don't get the Samsung 32" curved, I had one very briefly before returning it to Amazon, it is more like a TV than a monitor. I tried SC on it very briefly and when walking around ArcCorp, when you move the mouse, anything that was bright on the screen leaves a dark trail behind it as it moves, it was very distracting.

I got a second LG 29" Ultrawide instead, although the flat version doesn't have as nice an image as my older curved one.

The only issue with buying a monitor now is that HDR monitors are starting to arrive and they would be great for SC, but right now they are really expensive. I am hoping by the time SC is released they will have come down to sensible prices.

On 10/8/2017 at 2:59 AM, LordSeb said:

I am mainly looking to be using it for gaming, but I want one that prioritises quality of image. Looking probably between $500-$700 AUD and 27'-32'.

Well .. I had to solve this problem recently for myself .. and priorities were the same .. as a result I got

Acer Predator 27" WQHD NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display (2560 x 1440, 144 Hz, 4ms) 

it is slightly above your budget but hey ... it's not every day you buy a new thingy :)

Ok drum roll!
I have gotten me a monitor. I ended up going with the Samsung LC32F397FWEXXY. I spent about a week or so playing off different shops against each other till I managed to get a ripper deal to the tune of $145 discount I think it was.  So I bought the 32" screen and carried the damn thing 2.5KM back home from the shops. You can just imagine how much fun it was walking over an unshielded bridge when the wind picked up :D

Anyway purchase story aside, I am loving it. Image is crystal clear and I haven't experienced any ghosting, but that might be because I have an AMD graphics card. So it is doing its Freesync thing. Tested it out on Star Citizen and I suddenly realised how little justice my laptop was doing the game. It also made games like Cities Skylines and Stellaris look pretty awesome too. 

I was wondering if I would end up getting tired as Bursar mentioned, but I have found my eyes are doing the work and I don't have to turn my neck. Probably because it is curved making it easier for the eyes to see everything. I'd say don't get a curved TV as it looks gimmicky, but it seems to give a more of a 3Dish feel that absorbs you into the game when you get a curved monitor. I do tend to sit back in my chair because the screen is so damn big, but most of the time I am standing (Sit/Stand desk) and find I am at my usual position which isn't hugging the desk.

Monitor itself when you first turn it on has its brightness at a 100 percent and jeeeez was that bright. Like dealing with a 32" floodlight.

Naturally it came with no speakers so I went and also bought a Corsair RGB Surround Sound headset

Complaints? No real complaints thus far. I tried its eyecare mode, but kind of found it odd. It jacks up the brightness real high and dulls the colours. So I won't say its a complaint, just something I am not used to and not sure I will use.

@FriendCalledFive I think the monitor might be 1 or 2 generations newer than the one on Amazon which you had issue. I ran around ArcCorp without the issue you described. ArcCorp looked pretty damn speccy. I am glad I made the right decision though and didn't go with the Amazon variant, if it has issues. I did consider it at one stage.

If anyone wants to see pics here is a link to my waffly blog post on it. It is choccas with pics https://sebthewriter.com/2017/11/15/samsung-32-monitor-lc32f397fwexxy/
I can't really be bothered digging up a picture hosting site.

Anyway have a good one everyone, the prowl is over. Thanks for everyone's contributions and thoughts.

1 hour ago, LordSeb said:

Ok drum roll!
I have gotten me a monitor. I ended up going with the Samsung LC32F397FWEXXY. I spent about a week or so playing off different shops against each other till I managed to get a ripper deal to the tune of $145 discount I think it was. 

$145 AUD?

That's $110 Freedom Bucks.. That's a hell of a deal! Well done!