Tactical Advance
Akanoes

Meet the Sabre Raven

Pre-ordered a 900P.. I desperately needed another SSD as mine is full and I'm always having to uninstall to make room for new games.

Free ship with a top of the line SSD? Sign me up.

What's the salt over? Because the ship isn't going to be on sale? Or because it's a EMP Ship?

Seems to be Small - Warlock 

Medium -Raven   

Large - Sentinel

Just now, Waor said:

What's the salt over? Because the ship isn't going to be on sale? Or because it's a EMP Ship?

Seems to be Small - Warlock 

Medium -Raven   

Large - Sentinel

ha, you get 10 citizens together you'll get 11 opinions

some don't like Intel

some don't need an SSD

some live overseas and can't get it shipped

some are worried it only has 2 months insurance

some don't like the 2 S3s and single engine

some thought that CIG hyped the ship but then tied it to physical merchandise

some think that the stealth/EMP is OP

some wonder if it runs on unicorn poop

you get the idea

salt mines

4 minutes ago, ichi said:

ha, you get 10 citizens together you'll get 11 opinions

some wonder if it runs on unicorn poop

you get the idea

salt mines

Buy a Pioneer then Ichi; we will scour the galaxy for the mystical unicorn poop, set up a factory and be richer than our wildest dreams!  50/50 split.. since it was my idea and all..

Side note, I bet the Grey Market is going to have an absolute field day with these..

Sell the ship

Sell the SSD

????

Maximum Profit

If you buy the "cheaper" $389 dollar SSD, you can probably get a good $300 for the SSD and $300 for the Raven? 

4 hours ago, Waor said:

@ichi did you get yours already? 

Newegg just now sent mine out, should be at my door Tuesday.

says its on a truck in Indiana, probably Tuesday delivery, which is when my new build will be complete!

3 hours ago, Yodel said:

Why do we need a fast HD for a game with no loading ingame?,  only need to load the game and there is no more loading, a standard ssd should be enough 

I am not that good with computers. But Unless you have a huge amount of RAM having a fast SSD or M.2 will be good for Star Citizen. If you have only 8, 16 or 32gb of Ram in your computer and your CPU is using more than that. Then your CPU has to go to your Hard Drive to get the new/extra data it needed. And that a lot slower than having to go just to the RAM. So the faster your SSD or hard drive can find and send that data to your CPU the better things can run. Yes, 16gb of RAM is good enough for most games now. But Star Citizen with how big and detailed everything is you might need more RAM. Then having that new drive helps. With having no loading screens you can't load each level in to the RAM. So as you move around the star system your RAM will need to pull the info off your SSD for the new areas as you get close to it. And still keep the info you need for what you can still see on the RAM. 

Star Citizen will be a huge game and with no loading screens you need to pull data of the SSD a lot. So yes it can help. The question is how much more will that new intel SSD help over the average SSD. And is that worth the money you pay for it. 

1 hour ago, RSLtaken said:

I am not that good with computers. But Unless you have a huge amount of RAM having a fast SSD or M.2 will be good for Star Citizen. If you have only 8, 16 or 32gb of Ram in your computer and your CPU is using more than that. Then your CPU has to go to your Hard Drive to get the new/extra data it needed. And that a lot slower than having to go just to the RAM. So the faster your SSD or hard drive can find and send that data to your CPU the better things can run. Yes, 16gb of RAM is good enough for most games now. But Star Citizen with how big and detailed everything is you might need more RAM. Then having that new drive helps. With having no loading screens you can't load each level in to the RAM. So as you move around the star system your RAM will need to pull the info off your SSD for the new areas as you get close to it. And still keep the info you need for what you can still see on the RAM. 

Star Citizen will be a huge game and with no loading screens you need to pull data of the SSD a lot. So yes it can help. The question is how much more will that new intel SSD help over the average SSD. And is that worth the money you pay for it. 

This is from another post on spectrum, can't link it from my phone, and I just keep my m.2 can use two on my board in raid :)

U.2 is M.2 via cable. You need a multi-PCVe-lanes interface to make use of high speeds, basically not SATA. Optane are U.2, Samsung is offering M.2. They're adaptable. Let's compare:

Samsung 250 GB: 3.2 GB/s read, 1.5 GB/s write, 330k/300k IOPS

Optane 280 GB: 2.4 GB/s read, 2.0 GB/s write, 550k/500k IOPS ... for 4-5x the price of the Samsung "

If you have a M.2 you don't need one. 

As for the Optane and is it any good, I don't know. I don't know enough about this stuff to say. 

But what ever your memory you have, having a fast HD will help this game. So it can feed the RAM with the data it needs. Because even with out loading screen you are still loading stuff off the HD to the RAM for the CPU to use. Nothing will change that. Because lot of the data the HD sends has to be un-PAK/zip (what ever it called) for the CPU to use. You are good you don't need one but it could help other people who don't have a M.2

Optane are also advertised as longer-lived, and if I read correctly somehow smarter, in that they learn data usage patterns and prioritize

I don't know if they're any good either, I needed a new SSD for my new build and the Raven made it worth trying out

like everything, we'll see how that works out

posted on Spectrum by a guy named Powerman 5000, comparison of before and after Optane install.  Judge for yourself if it is worth the money

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/7/thread/pre-and-post-optane-install

before  http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5307763

after  http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5701011

Powerman 5000 When Worlds Collide, just because I like the song (weird goggles optional)

Well mine showed up..

Activation code on RSI now gives an error..

Motherboard refuses to read the m.2 slot even after BIOS update.

Batting 1000 at this point.

20171107_114835.jpg