Hero
Karon

Melting the Polaris, unmelting options

Hey there. I am looking for advices about my hangar after the last update of the Ship Matrix. I know these threads are personal because everyone has its own opinions but maybe you can shed some lights on it.

At the moment I own:
  Polaris
  Banu Merchantman
  Cutlass Black

Reasons for melting the Polaris are:
- BMM is now a massive sperm whale and seems really interesting. Big ship, I plan to use it as my main ship, especially in the beginning.
- Cutlass has been improved, making it a nice and versatile ship;
- Production/Commerce means making money. With money I can buy and maintain Military ships later (I can unmelt both an Orion and a Prospector);
- In order to crew the Polaris efficiently I need quite a lot of people.

Points for keeping it:
- I am not interested in the "low-level" military, I prefer capships and the Polaris is one of them;
- It's cool :3

The Polaris is 750$ credits worth, these are some of the ships I can buyback:
Polaris        750$
Orion        325$
Tali Bomber    250$
Prospector    140$
Reclaimer    350$
Terrapin    195$

The question is: which choises are a best investment?

Ideas I have atm:
1. Orion + Reclaimer = 675$
2. Orion + Retaliator Bomber + Prospector = 715$
3. Orion + Terrapin + Prospector = 660$
As you can see the Orion is ubiquitous. I feel it is another BMM: undervalued for a while, it will eventually become much more expensive and useful.

The first is the option I prefer the least. I'm going to have 3 massive ships with no clear sinergy and probably all of them will be time-demanding. I like the idea of the Reclaimer but I'm not totally fond of it.
The other two options are similar, the only difference is which military ship I'll unmelt. I love the Tali, it has been one of my first ships but later updates somehow made it less attractive. It is flexible and customizable but it's a master of none, bombing-excluded other ships can do the same things better. Even worse, it requires a numerous crew to be 100% effective.
The Pin instead is an interesting ship but we don't know really much about it. I have zero interest in exploration but it can be an interesting solo ship for scouting. I like the idea of a though little ship but its weapons are basically unexistent.
The Prospector is my pocket Orion when I have some spare time and no friends available. A bit pricy but a good counterpart to the Cutlass.

What do you think? Any other interesting options?

Some of this may seem pretty basic, but since you asked for input

stick to ships that do things you think you'll enjoy doing (don't get an Orion if you don't want to mine)

the Orion seems like it will be best in a group, for defense and hauling

have a small/medium ship in your fleet for now, for times when you want to play alone or can't staff a bigger ship (the alternative here is to serve as crew during those periods)

the Tali will make a comeback, if they can make turrets useful and interesting, it will be somewhat situational but a nice ship to have for specific situations; the Eclipse is also a viable option

from the perspective of the Military Division we like having Polarises (Polari?) but I understand your reasoning in wanting to rearrange your fleet

if you think you'll enjoy mining, option 3 seems to me like it will provide a wide range of gameplay options

My input is. Forget option one. If you are not fond on it and you not going to use it a lot, Why have it. It be lots of people in the Org with that ship. Who you can crew for or even rent the ship off if you want to use it.

Option two. I am not a big fan of the Retaliator so I say that at the start. But I do think CIG is going to do a little rework on it. You also still need 5 crew to help you if that NPC or real people. But if you want to attack capital size ship, it a great ship to have. I just think the crew you need is a little high. I should also say I do have a Retaliator despite all the things I just said. 

Option three. I think this will be the best for you. It give you a lot of option when it comes to game play. Also you can play on your own if you feel like it. Or as part of a group using them ships. You can use the Terrapin for other jobs but it not going to be great at it. And you need to have other ships working with you. The Prospector is just great ship. 

The shipyard: Other Ship Items 

While you can swap utility items out it may not always be as effective as simply using a dedicated ship designed for that cause. You could swap the Terrapin’s Radar Dish out for a Mining Laser or Tractor beam to allow basic mining or salvage, but you have no discrete way of processing it. In a situation like this, you’d likely need a second ship nearby to process things effectively.

Hope that help a little .

that is kind similar to the ships i have except i got two banu mm (one as a spare and for personal use and one for group/org use) instead of the Polaris and then i got an banu defender instead of the cutlass staying with the  theme of banu ships but also a endeavour hope since that is very useful for org related activities ( mobile respwan station if that's how the game mechanics work) which means i basically have two main ships (banu mm and endeavour) and one spare ship (defender) which keep things simple and easy to manage as i feel having too many ships will not be efficient when playing with others as they will also have different ships

Edited by Dan

Lot's of good inputs, thanks everyone!
I'm divided between what I think I will want // what is more efficient considering that I have spent real money on these ships. As I said, I'm fairly sure the Orion will see a big increase in its cost.

An example of money-inefficiency, in my opinion, is the Vanguard. I could unmelt one but it is as expensive as a Retaliator Bomber. Not worth for me.

Regarding other ships, Prospector and Cutlass sounds good when I'm solo. I just have to make up my mind and choose between Tali and Terrapin. The quote from RSLtaken is interesting although it confirms that the Pin is a quite specific type of ship. The Tali on the other hand is more flexible and, in light of the new Turrets, I could slave a couple to the computer AC, set one as PDT and by doing so, I have halved the required crew. On top of that, the Tali can swap its torpedo compartments for cargo, living quarters, dropship module. I don't have buyback tokens at the moment having unmelted the Orion, hence I have to wait. Maybe something will change.

Dan has a good point. In fact, that's why I melted most of my ships and bought the Polaris in the first place. That the reason why I haven't listed the multitude of ships I could unmelt. They're simply too many or easily reacquirable in-game. Regarding the efficienty due to the fact that others ahve different ships I agree, althogh I like to have options depending on what I want to do. I also hate grinding because I don't have much time (*happy wife, happy life!*).

I forgot to mention, I also have 3 Aurora game packages. I still hope they will provide free/discounted/custom NPCs like CR said back in 2014/15 - I haven't followed the game much in the last couple years.

One thing to keep in mind is that the current dollar amounts paid for large ships does not reflect the prices that will be in game. CIG has said that large ships will be exponentially more expensive in game.

Theoretically you could sell your Polaris in game and buy all the little ships you want and more.

But of course it is always still a bit speculative (pun intended).

14 minutes ago, Drakin said:

One thing to keep in mind is that the current dollar amounts paid for large ships does not reflect the prices that will be in game. CIG has said that large ships will be exponentially more expensive in game.

Theoretically you could sell your Polaris in game and buy all the little ships you want and more.

But of course it is always still a bit speculative (pun intended).

I second Drakin on that one. Keep in mind big ships and in game price. I figure because some of these ships are crazy expensive, they will take forever to grind in game. So if grinding is not for you, then I would hang on to bigger ships. They can always be spread for in game currency later.

For me I would keep your current line up of ships. You have 3 decent ships which can do quite a lot of things and when you think nothing is locked into a role beyond what components you have on board you could do quite a lot as is or use your current line up to acquire in game ships to do a lot more.

I also have a love of capital ships and that is what I love about Star Citizen and well you could probably get away with Polaris the cargo or transport ship and if you come under attack well you have the on board firepower to send people packing.

If your heart is setting on melting I would go option 3 works well, but falls down in that you have two miners there and if you think about it, you could do runs in your cutlass or BMM and pay for the Orion's crew. If your Orion's crew is all there you don't need to use a prospector at all. Which frees you up for a different ship entirely.

I mean an alternative not listed if you like bigger ships you could buy a carrack in the sales, unmelt your terrapin and prospector, which gives you something like $80 left over.

Just remember you are 1 human, 1 computer and can't use all ships at once.

Fact is, the Polaris should have been my last ship but it turned out to be quite different from what I thought. It is a fast, not very armoured Corvette with barely sufficient AAA and that also relies on physical ordnance as main damage delivery method. In other words:
- it's going to take damage because it has only 2x L shields → higher maintenance costs;
- its purpose it's not fighter defence/annihilation. I doubt we'll face Capships all the time → slightly inefficient;
- it relies on torpedoes → more maintenance costs.
CIG has created the perfectly-imperfect capship: smaller orgs with no capship can deal with it, at the same time it can protect itselft from bigger ships due to the impressive amount of torpedoes. I'd have loved an anti-fighter Terrapin-corvette but I guess it would have created a too wide gap between tiny orgs even slightly bigger ones.

That being said, I am also looking for sinergy: the Orion can mine, pass to the BMM and so on. With a dozen members we have enough people to man the ships and a basic form of provide cover and I can provide both the miner and the hauler. "Personal/solo" ships will be the Cutlass and the Prospector, plus a wilcard Pin/Tali/something else. Do you have an idea of what ships are going to be pre-released in the next few months?

Edited by Karon

6 hours ago, Karon said:

... Do you have an idea of what ships are going to be pre-released in the next few months?

Best bet is to check out the Production Schedule. Lists everything until the end of the year. Ships are towards the bottom.

Production Schedule

It gets updated weekly, although CIG can hide things, i.e Aegis Sabre Raven.

After the 1st of January, a new one should be uploaded.