Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Aselwyn1

UEE LAND CLAIM LICENSES

1 hour ago, Aselwyn1 said:

So today there is land claim liceances for $50 for 4x4 KM and $100 for 8x8 KM anyone picking this up ? https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16278-UEE-Land-Claim-Licenses

That is a hard and tempting matter. I would be immensely keen for my own piece of dirt to begin a base, but it kind of takes intangible cost to the next level because there will be cost to develop that plot of land. I imagine it would take a long time to build said resources to develop in addition to waiting for the mechanic to be implemented. So...... I think that I will keep to backing ships.  I am not competitive enough to splash cash to claim the first ever piece of dirt in game.

I can see the benefits of having the piece of dirt early you could run out early days and win the colonisation exploration race.

In the scheme of things, whilst not so useful to me. *nudge* industrial arm *nudge* This is probably more useful to you guys, stamping your flags in the dirt for processors, mining and refining, ship supply etc. Or for Tactical Advance claimed territory as a whole.

Edited by LordSeb

Its not a piece of dirt your buying... its real estate, it isn't valuable now, until your land happens to be right next to the major highway, the urban development next door, the latest mining Org.

Then. Sell. $$)

i can see land being used as stock. You already own a piece of land and your looking to expand, or your piece of land is surrounded by an org, who really really wants your land but ofc, you own it.

There are ofc issues, you leave your org and you happened to be supplying a resource no one else had, so they A. pay much more than its worth for the resources/land or B. they swarm your land before the UEE can intervene.

Leaves me to ask if there will be orbital cannons to knock out AA's for invasions...

2 hours ago, Akanoes said:

We went from ships to ground vehicles to.. land?..

Wow, CIG has become the masters of selling. When you can sell us everything that can be obtained in game.  I have to take my hat off to them. But not my wallet.  ;-)

I am excited for the land honestly.

SC has changed from just a PVP to a truly living universe... or it might just be a EVE with a FPS aspect, which i am almost fine with, i liked EVE but there was no way i could spend the time or the spreadsheets to play it right. i hope SC doesn't do EVE too hardcore.

To misquote the song:

She hears him say "Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)
"What a good wife you would be" (such a fine girl)
"But my life, my lover, my lady is [outer space]"

I'll stick with my ship in outer space, thanks ;-)

Edited by Drakin

Ive picked up 1 big, 1 small. The way I see it is we're going to need ground facilities at some point. A base can work as a spawn point too. You can also use a ground area as a resource you can exploit over time. So, yes, possibly another land grab, but also an opportunity to grow the Org and have a network of facilities where we can securely have downtime.

In my opinion it's a shame that they started the whole land plot thing before we know what we can actually do with them... This whole thing raises a huge amount of questions for which the answers simply don't even exist yet.

There is 0 info on whatever mechanics will play into this:

-Can we build factories?

-Can the buildings/farms/whatever on your plot be raided? If they can, will we be able to get insurance on them and how much will this cost (even more issues in terms of eco balance, something that is already a big task)?

-How will turrets, shields, defenses in general work?

-Can other players mine on your plot when you're off? Can you 'trust' people in your claim so they can mine but strangers  can't?

-What if someone who owns a huge part of an org's land leaves (if I own a large part of our org's base and i leave after a huge fight with Tac I could destroy a huge part, theoretically even make the org go bankrupt)?

-Can we farm the land? Can we go lumberjack mode and sell wood? If you're going to be able to exploit all of the natural resources we're basically playing 'Life is Feudal' or some very advanced version of 'Minecraft' inside SC. Implementing what is almost an entire game in itself could take AGES.

-Would we be able to spawn on our plot/base or do we have to rent a SELF-LAND in the area?

All possible answers for these questions that I can imagine myself add even more questions, problems and balancing issues in themselves.

The only thing we know is that we can drop outposts using Pioneers. But will we have to find a player to do it (if you want to keep your base secret you already have a problem here) or will we be able to hire AI's that come fly in with a Pioneer.

They should have waited a year. By the next anniversary sale at least some of the questions above should have at least a concept or idea to answer them, if not a concrete mechanic at that point. I don't understand why this had to happen now.

Just my 2 cents of course. Sorry for the rant, Reddit salt is getting to me i believe. Maybe I'm exaggerating but the things I have listed are actual issues.

Kindest regards,

Twistify

Perfectly reasonable rant Twistify lol. I think because the Pioneer has already been sold, it was inevitable to see land grants become vavailable too. We know how SC operate. This is the first sale. We know there will be more. We also know the price will be increased over time. Potentially I'm putting my stick in the ground early and hopefully saving some money by doing so.

Akanoes / Tony Zurovec have done an excellent Q&A on them already for us to look at. Yes there will be risks, but we're constantly being told 90% of the encounters will be NPC. I suspect they will be law abiding to a degree on planet. There would appear to be the ability to patrol a land plot or implement some form of security. There also appears to be the ability to sell or transfer land. Maybe the Org buys it from us at market rate at a later date? I dont know, but I take your point about leaving and stripping the Org of resources. It's open to discussion and an agreement though, not something we cant sort out. However the opportunities that come with a piece of land are huge. It's also a good way of tieing us to the game. Land is tangible, even if only in pixel form :)

Don't get me wrong, my biggest dream in this game is the huge TacAdvance fleet, capital ships and all, taking off from our huge planetairy complex to go and defend against some other org attacking our mining operations. Being just one guy manning a turret on one of our javlins, watching our huge base getting smaller and smaller as the fleet moves out... Knowing that WE built that complex will be amazing.

But they are already behind several years on some of the most basic functions. Flying still isn't great, controlling your player movement on foot or in eva is still questionable, networking is still an issue. The current networking structure can't possibly support large scale battles. I don't want to fall into a starcitizen_refund melancholy about how it's not possible and all that usual stuff. I pledged because I believe, but this is getting dangerous in terms of releasedate (we are already looking at 2020 at least for PU launch) + it adds another thing that people with lots of money have and others don't. I was hoping it would just be vehicles. The whole selling stuff has always been on the very border of P2W or not P2W.

But oh well, in any case it's something for the very far future and not of major concern right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't even in the full launch. If they commit to it being in there however, we will have to wait a whole lot longer for said launch. Getting this to work without bugs, loopholes or any other of the 1000 problems that this is going to bring up, with all mechanics working or even just existing,... They might even need a whole new studio, with artists and devs that have experience in this type of gameplay. Basebuilding and spaceship-flight mechanics are totally different things as far as I can imagine.

Here I am ranting again. I guess I'm just a bit disappointed. If anything this has stopped me from buying a bigger ship during the general sale. 

I appologize for the negative vibes but typing it all out lifts some of the disappointment.

/rant

Twisty, you carry right on ;) Look, IF it gets implemented, IF it works, I agree totally, but IF it happens and we can take advantage, then we'd be silly not to. I am also thinking that 64sq km is enough of an area to secure mineral rights. A guaranteed area that's just mine. Another 16 sq km close to civilisation that shouldnt get raided where I can store materials and good bits and pieces.

Twisty, i think you are over thinking what a land claim actually does. 

ALL a claim does, is tell the UEE "hey, i own this" and they will be like "gotcha, you own that"  Thats it. IT wont stop people from doing anything to it they want, only flag them as outlaw if they do. It wont stop them from destroying your equipment or buildings... only flag them as outlaw if they do. It wont stop them from setting up a blockade to keep you going to/from that land. 

The only thing this claim seems to do, is flag people who violate it, but will not actually STOP them from doing so, and more than a RL person bringing a shovel, and starting to dig into your property. 

Someone on Reddit made a good post about the value in land claims. 

• Land claims are a commodity.
  • Resources/Location make land claims valuable. The dirt itself is almost worthless.
  • Resources will become exhausted once you’ve exploited them, meaning you will need to find another. And another, and another.
  • This creates value and demand for land claims
  • The act of finding and claiming becomes an important career - just as important as doing the actual mining/farming/research

Fly around in your explorer ship and scout out possible locations. Land and go out in your rover to survey the area for resources, and maybe find other valuable knicknacks or derelicts along the way. Find a good plot. Try not to die and protect your redshirts. Adventure. Stake your claim.

SELL IT!

This is a viable planetary exploration career!

Land claims are relatively cheap to buy in-game - about as much as a starter ship you’ll buy them in-game too. There’s a ridiculously large amount of planetary surface out there. Relatively less of that area is actually valuable.

People seem stuck on the typical MMO concept that "land claims" are only useful for "player housing" and are not really part of gameplay except as a moneysink. Staking a land claim and sitting on it will be very foolish in most cases unless you intend to sell it or use it later. It is not necessarily a permanent home base unless that's all you want it to be.

Land claims will generally be important for explorers to find, prospect, and claim, then sell to miners or other resource gatherers. Anyone wanting to make a home wont need to be in a race or get a very specific spot in the verse. 

Edited by Wolfwood

Reading some more stuff, including what you quoted, has put me a bit more at ease. I was indeed overthinking it, and it's not that bad at all. If it works like stated, I think it could be an interesting mechanic indeed. It will make things like a 'TacAdvance province', where we centralise our operations, possible.

I do however stand by my point about the whole pioneer + claims + bases thing adding a layer of complexity that will need alot of polish, and CIG polish takes time as we all know after The Great Drought...

As with everything regarding SC, we will just have to wait and see and "keep the dream alive" as they say.