Jump to content
Tactical Advance
Akanoes

Q&A: Anvil Hawk

Recommended Posts

Greetings Citizens,

Below are answers to the most voted for questions in our Spectrum Q&A Thread we posted last week. Thank you for taking the time to submit your questions and voting for the ones you care about most.

Also, special thanks to Calix Reneau, Kirk Tome, and Steven Kam for their help in answering your questions.

Ah-Floating-Space-Pirate152a.jpg
Can we swap the holding cell for other equipment?
No, the holding cell in the Hawk is integrated specifically into its design. The Hawk is a small, focused ship. In general, modularity in engineering implies a bunch of things, including piping and plumbing, structural loadbearing, and bunch of other considerations designed to handle different equipment of varied capabilities. That stuff doesn’t come free in terms of weight, cost, or complexity, hence why not every internal space is just automatically modular by nature.

 

How many total weapons, types and sizes, is the Hawk supposed to have?
The Hawk has 4 S2 and 2 S1 Weapon hardpoints with 1 small EMP device.

 

Is the EMP from the Hawk as strong as the EMP from the Raven?
At present, we expect the EMP on the Hawk to be in the same neighborhood of effectiveness as one of the Raven’s. A balance pass is scheduled for 2018 and this information may change.


When will the variants become available that are mentioned in the brochure?
The variants described in the brochure are ships that exist in the fiction of Star Citizen’s universe. Currently, there are no plans to implement these variants. Let’s see how much you all like the original Hawk, for starters :).

 

Will the Hawk fit inside a Carrack?
Considering that both ships are in production at the moment, we do not have the final dimensions of each ship and can’t definitively answer this yet. That said, it is unlikely as the Carrack’s hangar is designed to field a ship the size of a snub craft.

 

Brochure mentions gun rack. Where is it located?
It’s behind the deployable pilot seat.

 

It was mentioned in the ATV that the prisoner transport pod could be used as a bed for the pilot. Is this the case?
Yes, it is possible that the pilot could use this as a bed, although probably a bit claustrophobic


How do the defensive features (e.g. shields, armor, countermeasures) of the Hawk compare to other light fighters such as the Gladius, Mustang Delta, and Defender?
Anvil designed the Hawk, so as you’d expect it’s reasonably durable, at least as light fighters go. In this respect we plan for it to have tougher armor than the Gladius, Mustang Delta, and the Defender. Its shield generators are presently intended to be similar in performance to those of a Gladius. While the Hawk carries on more armor, the Mustang Delta’s defenses include a larger store of countermeasures.

 

What’s the heaviest armor a player can wear while operating the Anvil Hawk?
As is standard for most single-seat fighters, this is a flight suit. The player will be able to store a small personal loadout in the ship (the aforementioned gun rack), so they can quickly gear up for FPS action.

 

Is the Hawk going to be fast-tracked in development or is this going to be further down the road for getting in-game?
Generally speaking, smaller ships are simply easier to make, and ships without interior spaces are easier still. From a development perspective, the Hawk has fewer obstacles to production than larger ships with traversable interiors, and is therefore likely to be in game sooner.


Which loaner will be available until the anvil hawk is flight ready?
The Cutlass Black is the selected loaner ship for the Anvil Hawk.

 

Is the stated 500 m/s afterburner speed correct? If so, how will the Hawk stop prospective bounties from simply running away?
The Hawk is viewed as an entry level ship that focuses on being cheap, reliable, and versatile, and may not be able to handle every bounty – or at the least, may require a little extra tactical prowess to pull it off. As flight balance is an endeavor that will continue throughout the development process, the 200;500 stats should remain as a good comparison point for how the Hawk will perform relative to other ships as stated on the Ship Matrix according to the characteristics of the flight model point in time that it was introduced into the ship pipeline. Remember that as we experiment with the overall flight model to provide a better game experience over time, so too does ship performance adjust alongside it.


Is the prisoner stowage in the aft of the Hawk being designed for just a single seat, or will it be able to hold multiple bounties as the cells in the Avenger Stalker do?
The Hawk’s containment pod accommodates one prisoner.

 

This is an Anvil Ship, but it is still a light fighter. This class of ship relies on speed to survive and win fights. Since it’s already stated to be slower than the Gladius, what other points make this ship a viable choice over it, since the Gladius got the S3 buff?
Every ship has its purpose. The Hawk is a light fighter with bounty hunting features. There are some missions for which a Hawk is suited that a Gladius isn’t. Even considering their different mission profiles, however, the Hawk has an EMP device, which will play better in certain situations than a limited loadout of missiles (perhaps especially in bounty hunting), and it also has comparable shielding to and better armor protection than the Gladius. Remember too, the benefits of armor protection versus shielding against different types of weapons; although of course one prefers not to get hit, when you do get hit, sometimes you really want that armor.


What is the (in-atmo) air speed velocity of an unladen Hawk?
African or European? In all seriousness, having the prisoner in the holding pod will not noticeably impact the air speed velocity. Under the latest flight model in testing, at 1 atmosphere and neutral conditions, the flight speed would be around 165 m/s with max safe air speed be around 339 m/s.

 

Why make a bounty hunter ship with no interior?
Traversable interiors in general make a ship considerably larger – something you’ve had the opportunity to witness in the development histories of some of our other ships. Larger surface area and internal volume can in turn translate to higher mass (see https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16170-The-Shipyard-Ship-Mass for info on how this affects our ship mass derivations), which quickly runs counter the Hawk’s design aim of a light fighter with a small landing footprint. Without an interior, the Hawk can run lighter, cheaper, and be more nimble. Instead of supports and reinforcements to shore up against the structural weakness of large empty spaces (relative to the size of the ship), those materials are more uniformly dedicated to keeping components and resource pipes firmly in place, making them more dense. This also benefits to the lone wolf nature of a player who only wants to pilot a single-seater bounty hunter ship.

 

What are the correct dimensions for the Hawk?
The current stats are: 17m long, 22m wide, 6.5m tall – It’s important to note that the ship is in whitebox and these dimensions may change as it moves through the production pipeline.

Source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benji, its fairly simple, you ask them which of their 2 legs they dont need and then when they answer shoot them in the kneecap  ;)

 

4 x S2 & 2 x S1 mounts - That is rather a lot of firepower. 2 Shields AND two coolers.

 

It also appears to have decent armour AND an EMP.

 

Not something to approach without care :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Akanoes said:

Is the EMP from the Hawk as strong as the EMP from the Raven?
At present, we expect the EMP on the Hawk to be in the same neighborhood of effectiveness as one of the Raven’s. A balance pass is scheduled for 2018 and this information may change.

 

This answer truly irks me..

 

How does 1 Size 1 EMP =/= 1 Size 4 EMP

 

What the hell is the point of a Size 4 EMP if it has the same effectiveness as a Size 1?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Waor said:

 

This answer truly irks me..

 

How does 1 Size 1 EMP =/= 1 Size 4 EMP

 

What the hell is the point of a Size 4 EMP if it has the same effectiveness as a Size 1?

 

 

"A balance pass is scheduled for 2018"

 

which at that point all will become clear. 

 

My notes on this ship:

 

oh hey i cant catch anything im too slow.

 

Pew pew wow i cant hurt anything except the snub fighters... which can out run me...

 

oh wow my target is on foot? let me get... darn. left my exosuit in my Avenger...

 

(On land) Pew pew, Help medic! im hurt! shame i dont have an Avenger where i could store a full medical kit... darn i really liked that leg.

 

(on land) pew pew, oh hey i got him! shame i dont have a medical kit to stabilize him till i collect my bounty.... well oh well at least i payed more than buying an avenger...

 

(on land) Now sir, please kindly walk back to my ship, where i left undefended from counter attack from your friendly pirates... Shame that is... Well at least my Avenger could do no better. Unless i had an spare Reliant, which could hold an extra crew member (though it would be slow and all of that)

 

Hmmm..... Wow there are alot of ships that simply do the same thing only better... why, its like sending a terrapin to do advanced recon! how ridiculous...

 

(btw i have a whole list of issues with the terrapin if yall interested in hearing them)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, Waor said:

 

This answer truly irks me..

 

How does 1 Size 1 EMP =/= 1 Size 4 EMP

 

What the hell is the point of a Size 4 EMP if it has the same effectiveness as a Size 1?

 

 

Sorry I didn't see where it said the EMP on the raven was size 4. As far as I know it is no size 1, 2, 3 or 4 now for components, It is just small, medium, large and capital. It a component attached to a size 4 missile mount. Not that it a size 4 component. I think the Hawk EMP has the same effect as one of the EMP's on the Raven because they are both small EMP's just the Raven comes with two, and the Hawk comes with one.  

 

Sorry you are right they are like weapon sizes numbers. Thought they was more like components. But still do not say they are size 4 just that it has 2 of them. The Avenger warlock has a size 4 EMP but that takes up all the back room. So I still don't think the Ravens are size 4. As the Avenger EMP generator looks a lot bigger.

1QWWLdX.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The_Director said:

"A balance pass is scheduled for 2018"

 

which at that point all will become clear. 

 

My notes on this ship:

 

oh hey i cant catch anything im too slow.

 

Pew pew wow i cant hurt anything except the snub fighters... which can out run me...

 

oh wow my target is on foot? let me get... darn. left my exosuit in my Avenger...

 

(On land) Pew pew, Help medic! im hurt! shame i dont have an Avenger where i could store a full medical kit... darn i really liked that leg.

 

(on land) pew pew, oh hey i got him! shame i dont have a medical kit to stabilize him till i collect my bounty.... well oh well at least i payed more than buying an avenger...

 

(on land) Now sir, please kindly walk back to my ship, where i left undefended from counter attack from your friendly pirates... Shame that is... Well at least my Avenger could do no better. Unless i had an spare Reliant, which could hold an extra crew member (though it would be slow and all of that)

 

Hmmm..... Wow there are alot of ships that simply do the same thing only better... why, its like sending a terrapin to do advanced recon! how ridiculous...

 

(btw i have a whole list of issues with the terrapin if yall interested in hearing them)

 

 

I was planning on maybe getting a Terrapin in the future. Please share your problems with it if you don't mind, I don't want to end up with something useless. I'd expect it to be at least a decent ship for 200$. =/

(Maybe make a seperate post or just send me a pm, I don't want to get flack for highjacking this tread)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Waor said:

 

This answer truly irks me..

 

How does 1 Size 1 EMP =/= 1 Size 4 EMP

 

What the hell is the point of a Size 4 EMP if it has the same effectiveness as a Size 1?

 

 

 

The Hawk is still up on sale - those stats will drop soon™

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Twistify said:

I was planning on maybe getting a Terrapin in the future. Please share your problems with it if you don't mind, I don't want to end up with something useless. I'd expect it to be at least a decent ship for 200$. =/

(Maybe make a seperate post or just send me a pm, I don't want to get flack for highjacking this tread)

 

 

The terrapin was originally a fleet scout with the tools for long duration/range missions.

 

Since then the dev's have dumbed down what it can do to be simply a fleet scout (no long range)

 

So yes it can still travel large distances, but not nearly as long as what was once thought, making it truly a military scout ship, with no exploration in mind at all.

 

The issues...

 

Max crew 2, max beds... 1. Yep, one can sleep while the other pilots. ( i think all other ships with beds have enough beds for all crew members)

Zero cargo. you can bring along food, some armor suits (maybe) and your gun, but you cannot bring back anything larger than a cup or spoon.

 

The Freelancer Dur is better in almost every way. It has more computing power, it has the same radar size, it has Medium range/fuel tanks/quantum/jump drive. It also has actual cargo to bring back that statue of a rare alien species.

The Freelancer is also better armed, it can hold the same guns as the terrapin AND hold some missiles. it has double the shield generators as well.

 

Oh, and its a mere $125 compared to $195 thats $75 you can spend on a 315P, which costs $65, you have $10 spare! (hint get credits)

 

The advantages of a Terrapin in comparison?

Ok. There are a few here, the first is that it is still in production and subject to change, also the Freelancer Dur is due for a update pass, but with almost every ship, once in game it can only go up or stay the same specs.

 

The terrapin can turtle, which is a questionable defence tactic as its actualy not very good at hiding from radar.

Also the radar dish while the Dur has the same thing is most likely much better tuned to find items than the Dur's 'bolted to the side of the ship'. Same with its computing power, better at scanning for ships. Most likely not better at scanning for precious materials, the Dur would win that i think.

 

Basicly i picked the best comparison in the price range and there is a ship that can match the Terrapin. for way less. When something is cheaper that means you can:

A. get better modules

B. buy more ships to round up the weakness of that particular ship.

C. with that spare cash spend it on actual tools you need to complete the mission. (food weapons fuel paycheck bonuses)

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

To round this all off, what IS it good at?

Well, it is a FLEET scout ship.

That means it flies ahead, turtles up and reads the stars for any enemy ships that might be flanking. It can also look for asteroids for the fleets miner to collect more fuel to fund the fleets needs. The terrapin will have to come back to the fleet to refuel eventually, so you will need 2 terrapins to keep a lookout.

From what i can gather the radar dish is tuned to find other ships, the terrapin is what you need to beat the enemy at their own game. Or, spend your credits on a few extra fighters... you could get 2 Gladius and again, some change left over for upgrades...

 

I own the terrapin. i hope the development cycle fixes its shortcomings. its such a expensive ship that i think its turtle mode and anti ship radar just might be better than expected.

(also i can be totally wrong on everything i just said)

 

T_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, The_Director said:

 

 

The terrapin was originally a fleet scout with the tools for long duration/range missions.

 

Since then the dev's have dumbed down what it can do to be simply a fleet scout (no long range)

 

So yes it can still travel large distances, but not nearly as long as what was once thought, making it truly a military scout ship, with no exploration in mind at all.

 

The issues...

 

Max crew 2, max beds... 1. Yep, one can sleep while the other pilots. ( i think all other ships with beds have enough beds for all crew members)

Zero cargo. you can bring along food, some armor suits (maybe) and your gun, but you cannot bring back anything larger than a cup or spoon.

 

The Freelancer Dur is better in almost every way. It has more computing power, it has the same radar size, it has Medium range/fuel tanks/quantum/jump drive. It also has actual cargo to bring back that statue of a rare alien species.

The Freelancer is also better armed, it can hold the same guns as the terrapin AND hold some missiles. it has double the shield generators as well.

 

Oh, and its a mere $125 compared to $195 thats $75 you can spend on a 315P, which costs $65, you have $10 spare! (hint get credits)

 

The advantages of a Terrapin in comparison?

Ok. There are a few here, the first is that it is still in production and subject to change, also the Freelancer Dur is due for a update pass, but with almost every ship, once in game it can only go up or stay the same specs.

 

The terrapin can turtle, which is a questionable defence tactic as its actualy not very good at hiding from radar.

Also the radar dish while the Dur has the same thing is most likely much better tuned to find items than the Dur's 'bolted to the side of the ship'. Same with its computing power, better at scanning for ships. Most likely not better at scanning for precious materials, the Dur would win that i think.

 

Basicly i picked the best comparison in the price range and there is a ship that can match the Terrapin. for way less. When something is cheaper that means you can:

A. get better modules

B. buy more ships to round up the weakness of that particular ship.

C. with that spare cash spend it on actual tools you need to complete the mission. (food weapons fuel paycheck bonuses)

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

To round this all off, what IS it good at?

Well, it is a FLEET scout ship.

That means it flies ahead, turtles up and reads the stars for any enemy ships that might be flanking. It can also look for asteroids for the fleets miner to collect more fuel to fund the fleets needs. The terrapin will have to come back to the fleet to refuel eventually, so you will need 2 terrapins to keep a lookout.

From what i can gather the radar dish is tuned to find other ships, the terrapin is what you need to beat the enemy at their own game. Or, spend your credits on a few extra fighters... you could get 2 Gladius and again, some change left over for upgrades...

 

I own the terrapin. i hope the development cycle fixes its shortcomings. its such a expensive ship that i think its turtle mode and anti ship radar just might be better than expected.

(also i can be totally wrong on everything i just said)

 

T_D

Thanks for writing all that down, I understand what you ment now. I think i'll be holding on to my cash then and wait for the DUR rework, or some other ship to pop up, to fill in the medium sized explorer gap in my fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 8:43 AM, RSLtaken said:

Sorry you are right they are like weapon sizes numbers. Thought they was more like components. But still do not say they are size 4 just that it has 2 of them. The Avenger warlock has a size 4 EMP but that takes up all the back room. So I still don't think the Ravens are size 4. As the Avenger EMP generator looks a lot bigger.

 

According to the Ship Stats Page (as we all know is useless)

 

Hawk - Size 1, Mounted to a Size 1 Rack

Raven - Size 4, Mounted to a Size 4 Rack

 

They read the same as all weapons, or should.  Even in the placeholder name for the Hawk it says S1 TBC EMP device, which to me means Size 1, To Be Created..

 

Even on the Warlock, it says S4 EMP Device.. although it's listed under Weapons and not Missiles.. For whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Waor said:

 

According to the Ship Stats Page (as we all know is useless)

 

Hawk - Size 1, Mounted to a Size 1 Rack

Raven - Size 4, Mounted to a Size 4 Rack

 

They read the same as all weapons, or should.  Even in the placeholder name for the Hawk it says S1 TBC EMP device, which to me means Size 1, To Be Created..

 

Even on the Warlock, it says S4 EMP Device.. although it's listed under Weapons and not Missiles.. For whatever reason.

The Hawk and Warlock EMP come under weapons. Like you said. But I still think the Ravens EMP a size 1. I think it just think take a size 4 missile rack to hold a size 1 EMP. At most it a size 2, I don't see it being able to hold a EMP as big as the one in the Warlock. Problem is the stat page has so many things that wrong, you never know what right. We just have to hope they work it out over the next couple months and keep it up to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think TDs analysis of the Terp and DUR is solid, the DUR is the better exploration vessel and can also perform other roles like blockade runner and light haul.  The Terp also seems to me to have a role as an escort for the Hammerhead and industrial vessels, watching for Eclipse and other bombers.  The Terrapin may also be useful for battlefield S&R/recovery, may have some other roles to play; my question is how fast it will be.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×