Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
The_Director

SC Ship Concept

Hey everyone!

I've been working on another side project, which i am calling the Anvil Lance - a short range ship with a long firing range weapons.

Simply attached to the side is a Railgun with an extending barrel, for distance engagement with static/near static targets.

I still have things left to do, such as actual rear engines, maneuvering thrusters as well as the interior, but i hope to hear come feedback if y'all interested.

First Round:

y5GaACW.png

Shown when the UV unwrap was completed:

yx44nlH.jpg

And now the completed first pass, with the barrel retracted:

bWqK4Oo.jpg

First pass, barrel extended:

CpwVvuR.jpg

And a zoom in on the cockpit (incomplete)

r01RNZ1.png

Hope you injoy, feedback welcomed!

T_D

4 minutes ago, FoggyEagle said:

Definitely it looks great.

But why not try to wrap the hull of the ship around the barrel, so that the axis of fire passes through the center of the mass? Next time?

Could be because of the slow rate of fire. Every time you fire the gun it turns you around so you can run away after every shot. 

Well you would be correct if this was an cannon, but this is a rail gun, which is nearly recoil free! The remaining recoil is handled by the barrel retracting a small amount (I have a animation to show later) and finally there is a small engine bay directly behind the gun which is tuned to handle the recoil.

The reason why a rail gun is nearly frictionless is because the bullet is riding along the rails without touching. 

Now one the US Navyhas developed a rail gun and it did show recoil so I’m not sure where my math goes bad...

4 hours ago, The_Director said:

Well you would be correct if this was an cannon, but this is a rail gun, which is nearly recoil free! The remaining recoil is handled by the barrel retracting a small amount (I have a animation to show later) and finally there is a small engine bay directly behind the gun which is tuned to handle the recoil.

The reason why a rail gun is nearly frictionless is because the bullet is riding along the rails without touching. 

Now one the US Navyhas developed a rail gun and it did show recoil so I’m not sure where my math goes bad...

It will still have recoil. Newton's third law of motion, for every action there is an opposite reaction. You would not have friction because the round would not touch the barrel. But the force of the round being push out the front, would be the same force pushing the ship back. Having the engine behind the gun would stop most if not all of that. 

I don't know it you have worked out where to put the maneuvering thrusters. But have you thought about putting 1 on top and one on bottom of the barrel to stop the vertical recoil. Also it might help with aiming. Thinking about A8

5 hours ago, RSLtaken said:

It will still have recoil. Newton's third law of motion, for every action there is an opposite reaction. You would not have friction because the round would not touch the barrel. But the force of the round being push out the front, would be the same force pushing the ship back. Having the engine behind the gun would stop most if not all of that. 

I don't know it you have worked out where to put the maneuvering thrusters. But have you thought about putting 1 on top and one on bottom of the barrel to stop the vertical recoil. Also it might help with aiming. Thinking about A8

Yep.

Maneuvering thrusters will be a challenge as i dont want anything on the rail gun itself, but i do need to deal with how to balance the gun.

Maneuvering in an atmosphere shouldent be a issue, most ships in SC lack any true winged surface and instead rely on VTOL engines.

I would love to hear on what you think i should do, VTOL engines (2 on each side) or just several maneuvering engines? or another method? The Terrapin is the ship ive pinned many of my ideas on for the ship, as they both specialize very well, one being the spotter and the other the shooter.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, The_Director said:

Yep.

Maneuvering thrusters will be a challenge as i dont want anything on the rail gun itself, but i do need to deal with how to balance the gun.

Maneuvering in an atmosphere shouldent be a issue, most ships in SC lack any true winged surface and instead rely on VTOL engines.

I would love to hear on what you think i should do, VTOL engines (2 on each side) or just several maneuvering engines? or another method? The Terrapin is the ship ive pinned many of my ideas on for the ship, as they both specialize very well, one being the spotter and the other the shooter.

I say maneuvering thrusters. I only say that because looking at the top model you only really have one main engine that could turn to face down, like on the Terrapin. As all the other Anvil ships use main engines or maneuvering thrusters, So you cant use something like RSI where they have large fans. Also you have to put maneuvering thrusters on the ship anyway so it can fly, so it could save on some work by using them. 

How big is the ships with the barrel not extended? little bigger than the ARGO for the main body of the ship

working on the second pass, the right side of the ship has a good deal of rework done, a radar mast added for long range tight beam communication with a spotter ship, the manuvering thrusters first pass has been added (they are the double (--) in the four corners of the ship, and mirrored below as well) and ofc the rear of the ship has been reworked to match a more modern smoothed look, similar to the hurricane's rear portion.

Some finer details:

The maneuvering thrusters have their work cut out for them with the unbalanced weight, however with the barrel retracted its really not as bad as you might think. To compensate for this unbalance, the maneuvering thrusters are doubled up and while they are not very fast they can rotate the ship as needed.

As an idea when the barrel is extended and you are aiming, one pair of maneuvering thrusters will fire for general movement, and the second pair will only fire to maintain the accuracy of the rail barrel. For instance, primary thrusters will have an accuracy of .1 while the secondary thrusters have an accuracy of .001 allowing for both basic movements and fine tuning of the ship for its target.

The tight beam radio mast is specialized, set up only to fine tune targeting systems with an external device such as a ship or server system. This could mean that it can be hacked, causing you to miss or even hit targets you would prefer to keep alive.

I was going to make the Lance an older ship, but now i am wondering on your thoughts if i should do so... old means it must rely on others to do its job, the tech simply isnt there otherwise, if it's a newer ship then i could do its job with minimal assistance.

Help!

QidAcjZ.png

Hey guys,

Most of my updates ive been doing in SC Spectrum, but ill post some here from time to time :)

The biggest change since the last update here is the cannon, it is now free floating on some pistons, and i am working through on how i want ammo to get into the chamber.

The tight beam antenna has also received some love, with a armor plate and just more details in general

Also the center of the ships body is being slowly reworked to include some smoother, more rounded edges, trying to make the ship be semi-modern. something between the terrapin and hurricane.

And nuff said, here are some pics!

Radio closed:

dpyzBg7.png

Radio Opened:

4L0mqw1.png

Overall progress of the ship:

Ve6Tj9k.png

Hey guys ive updated the first post on Spectrum, please head over and take a look at the latest version, and if you like comment and give your opinion on what you like and more importantly, dislike!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50172/thread/anvil-lance

Thx

T_D