Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Tactical Advance
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
LordSeb

Is this a graphics card issue? Just not enough oomf.

I have a technical issue. I am surmising it is just the graphics card not having enough video memory or purely being to old.

All the moons come up looking like this on low/medium/high:

sceen.thumb.jpg.4c700623572b4b885ce405b21d2df2f1.jpg

:D things like occasional rocks look ok, but no matter the moon the surface is a dusky outline with occasional bits and pieces.

This issue doesn't happen anywhere else in Star Citizen except on the moons.

I am probably just going to run out and get a RX Vega 56 when stocks return to Australia, but if its a different sort of issue it would be good to know.

On a side note do we reckon a RX Vega 56 will be able to handle Star Citizen on high  smoothly? I am being cost effective, but if it probably won't I will go get the RX Vega 64 instead.

Cheers.

Edited by LordSeb

3 minutes ago, LordSeb said:

Your antiquated AMD HD 7700 with 1g VRAM

That will likely be the culprit. My secondary rig has a 6GB GTX1060 and that uses 75% of the VRAM on the lowest settings. My GTX1080 uses 80% of its 8GB on Very High.

Edited by FriendCalledFive

14 hours ago, LordSeb said:

:D things like occasional rocks look ok, but no matter the moon the surface is a dusky outline with occasional bits and pieces.

nope ... not a videocard issue - settings issue (I need to figure out which one does it, but I have exactly same problem after playing with configs now :) ) .. try to remove user.cfg completely and see whether it solves it.

Pulled this from the Wiki:-

System Requirements

Minimum System Requirements[19] for Star Citizen, as of March 16, 2016 (Star Citizen Alpha 2.2.2) are:[20]

• OS (Operating System): Windows 7 service pack 1 (64 bit), or Windows 8 (64 bit)
  • Processor: Quad core CPU more that Intel i5 1700
  • RAM: 8GB Memory
  • GPU (Graphics Card): DirectX 11 graphics card with at least 4GB Video RAM

Recommended System Requirements As of June 11, 2016, Alpha 2.4.0 are:

• OS (Operating System) - Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 8 or 8.1 (64-bit) or Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Disk space - 200 GB SSD
  • Processor - Quad Core CPU (Intel Core i7-4770K or comparable)
  • RAM - 16 GB RAM
  • GPU (Graphics Card): DirectX - Version 11- AMD A10-7700K, AMD Radeon HD 7990, GeForce GTX 780 or similar with at least 4GB Video RAM

System Requirements will change as the developers continue update and optimize the testing modules of Star Citizen. The game's final recommended system requirements and minimum requirements, at launch, may be vastly different to those above.

As you can see they are suggesting at least a 4GB card. PErsonally I prefer NVidia over AMD and have done since AMD swallowed ATi. Ive never had issues with them, but its subjective ;)

I'd say minimal requirements are still 2GB, but yes 1GB could be too small:

• Windows 7 (64bit) with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64bit), Windows 10 – Anniversary Update (64bit)
  • DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 2GB RAM (4GB strongly recommended)
  • Quad Core CPU
  • 16GB+ RAM
  • SSD strongly recommended

(c) https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

Thanks everyone for the 2 cents. Well I am going to be in a bit better stead soon. I am being given an Nvidia 970 with 4g of vram which is much better than the HD 7770 AMD I have. A very kind friend is giving me their old card, but I am going to have to wait until I get a new power supply. lol it turns out that the company that sold me my PC gave me a power supply that was too weak, had a watt reader and the total supply the system pools is 560-580watt on a 500w power supply.  I am actually quite surprised the pc is accomplishing this but I guess it makes sense that the power supply is rated at X, but the draw needed is higher due to inefficiency of energy conversion. Probably actually is using about 460w for the system in reality.

2 hours ago, LordSeb said:

Thanks everyone for the 2 cents. Well I am going to be in a bit better stead soon. I am being given an Nvidia 970 with 4g of vram which is much better than the HD 7770 AMD I have. A very kind friend is giving me their old card, but I am going to have to wait until I get a new power supply. lol it turns out that the company that sold me my PC gave me a power supply that was too weak, had a watt reader and the total supply the system pools is 560-580watt on a 500w power supply.  I am actually quite surprised the pc is accomplishing this but I guess it makes sense that the power supply is rated at X, but the draw needed is higher due to inefficiency of energy conversion. Probably actually is using about 460w for the system in reality.

A 970 should be a great improvement. For PSU's that is always something that prebuilt PC's skimp on (as with pretty much all the components), and is always worth spending a bit more money on. A 650W should be fine, just get a reputable brand, I quite like Corsair and Coolermaster.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:40 AM, Drakin said:

I run with a 970 and the game runs fine at 1920×1200 resolution. Doesn't even come close to stressing the GPU.

When I eventually get a 4K gaming monitor I'll have to upgrade, but not planning to do that for a while.

Do you have the game settings on low medium or high?