Hero
Bursar

Loaner Of The Month - Andromeda

Well this month we get an Andromeda.

I'm a relatively recent backer and the larger ships are something ive been very curious about.

The Constellation sits at a particularly sensitive point in the size range too. One step down and you have the Freelancer which even in its current base form is already an exceptional ship. The Freelancer offers pretty good handling, amazing acceleration and a very adequate 66 SCU. Not to mention four rather large guns at the front and a turret at the rear.

First impressions of the Andromeda are favourable.  The modeling is amazing, its a seriously good looking ship from all angles and its big. No, I mean really big. So, what do you get for your money? You get 96 SCU in a very pretty package. Yes, that's it. You appear to get 4 bunks for a potential crew of 5. I did check and I couldnt find a 5th anywhere. You get two lifts, one for crew and the other drops a major portion of the cargo hold to the ground or as a vehicle carrier.

What dont you get? Handling, in any way shape or form. It isnt as bad as the Starfarer - nothing is quite so bad - yet. But its really not good. Acceleration is pretty mediocre, especially with a load of cargo on board. Top speed is also lacking. Maybe it is me, but I had some serious expectations. This is one of the flagships we see in all the videos of the game. I expected some sparkle, some pazaz, or possibly even a twinkle. Unfortunately I just didnt feel it. This is a very big ship outside but get inside and its actually not very big at all. As a side issue, push the right pedal down for a while and watch the needle experience a lot of gravity. This thing needs to be nursed to be economical on its fuel consumption. The smaller ships (even the Starfarer) dont seem to even twitch the fuel gauge. My Andromeda managed to drop to 94% with what I would consider reasonable maneuvering. The others didnt. In fact the others havent ever moved, despite some pretty heavy handling on occasion. Maybe it's a game mechanic, but the others arent affected in the same way.

In all honesty I am both a bit sad and slightly disappointed. I really wanted to like this ship. I really wanted to be thinking about what I could juggle to get one. In the end however, I am back to my original plan. A Freelancer Max & DUR will offer me a significant percentage of a Constellation, but without the drawbacks - and importantly - at a big cost saving. They will also offer me significant benefits in handling and performance, while not being such a huge target that spends a lot of time at the filling station............

I'm keen to see how other people rate the Andromeda from what we have seen and specifically how they feel it compares to the Freelancer please :)

Personally I recently got an Aquilla as you get an Ursa Rover with it, it is a good platform for multicrew planetary missions where you have to park away from the objective and drive in.

If you want to try any of my ships, feel free to ask, not that I have a great selection!

Edited by FriendCalledFive

Thanks for the offer - I get one to try every month as a subscriber. I thought this time i'd review it :) I understand what you are saying about parking and roving. All I could comment is that a DUR is probably half the size. It can park a hell of a lot closer ;)

Good day sirs hope its going well, I loved the freelancer it was a great ship, but something about having ships from different brands bothers me lol, and I like the Rsi ships. The Taurus seemed like the best bang for the buck, and lets hope it can outfit turrets and weapons at a later date, if not the andro is the way to go with that fire power and the ability to later add a scanner to one of the turrets. Personally love the andro for that snazzy white interior, but the lack of extra cargo space for a rover and cargo at the same time and the snub on the back are things I don't like about it, especially since the snub fighter wasn't made by the same manufacture, I'm just weird like that. The idea of having a snub fighter is amazing but its not rsi. Also the price, you can get into the connie line for much cheaper with the Taurus which more than likely will go up in value at a later date, maybe 20 bucks more, making it easier to decide if upgrading to the andro is the right choice. I'm 50 50, if we are doing mainly cargo, or at least me personally that's what I want to do but don't want to fly the hulls or something that isn't aesthetically pleasing, or will have no later purpose in end game play like exploring once the money is made, or just taking a brake from cargo runs, then the Taurus all day, but if it cant defend it self then might as well go for the andro, for that end game multi purpose ship. Also so far its been the only ship I've been able to get lti on so I'm kind of stuck with it once I've upgraded to the andro. Kind of to early to tell, will be deciding once the Taurus comes out though, just some personal thoughts I guess. 

I understand what youre saying about the Connies. I just cant get past their limitations. A Max runs 122 SCU, the Andromeda 96 although we've yet to see the final figure on the Taurus. The Dur "should" have good exploration capabilities, its certainly got more firepower, better jump drive and long range tanks etc. The Connies seem a big jump up in size while not much of a performance increase in a lot of areas, while a significant decrease in others. Not convinced ;)

I see what you mean there. That's epic you have the max, I'm sure that ship will be great! If not great one of the best in the game. The dur is one bad ass looking boat too I'm not going to lie. The dur with the mis load out on the wings, that will be a serious force for exploration. And you can land a lancer in a capital vessel which I'm sure will make it of value "for the org!". Definitely can say connies are a slug boat, lacking in many areas, but Andros fire power and just something about the looks of the ships series makes it feel something out of a movie, in my opinion the closest ship to that millennium falcon feel "That old cargo hauler" and later it turns out "This is the ship that made the Kessel Run in fourteen parsecs?"
"Twelve!" ;}