Tactical Advance
LordSeb

The age old question. AMD or Intel.

7 hours ago, FriendCalledFive said:

Cheers for finding that. Ironically I sealed my fate yesterday and bought a Gigabyte Aorus gaming 7 Z370 1151 socket motherboard, so I am stuck to an i7-8700k unless intel surprise us on that socket set. To be fair I am not gonna complain the i7 is $490 which is a lot healthier for the pocket book than $1300^, it also is not a bad processor at all. Still a few months yet before 3.2 and that is my target goal to have this rig built by. If Intel do bring out something new I may be very interested.

Other than that. I just have a Samsung 960 pro 512gb ssd, 32gb of probably corsair ram, probably a Noctua N-D15 cpu cooler, windows, internet security and I'm in business.

11 hours ago, Roy said:

intel 8700K is very good cpu .. what about video ?

Rolling with a Gigabyte variant of the Nvidia 970 with 4g vid ram, using an EVGA Supernova 850 P2 Platinum rates PSU and its all going to be wrapped in the neat little box of the NZXT Noctis 450 case.  See how I go I might get some extra  fans e.g. Corsair ML120 or Noctua industrial range that goes up to 3000 something rpm but that is an after thought. I want to get the main build built first so I can start using it.

One potential thing that scares me I have to admit is potential ram clearance issue with the Noctua D15 :D

Edited by LordSeb

To be fair a mate gave it to me for $100. :D I ain't gonna stick my nose up at a $100 stop gap measure that will get my rig going sooner. CPUs have such little innovation or improvement over time so I just got the 8700k probably be 10-15 years before I replace that, so I got one of the best sooner. I am going to probably go for the best Volta gaming GPU when it comes out albeit if I had to buy in now id go the 1080 ti with the 11gigs vid ram I think I saw it had.

Just putting it out there :D new Ryzens 2700x is punching weight with the I7 8700k. That is not including the fact that they are holding back the 2800x to see what intel's response is whichif you hazard a guess is probably superior to 8700k in most ways. I know its only early reviews but hell this is amazing!!! Grats to AMD come on intel start innovating again.

My chequebook might be on hold for that new 8700k, just in case intel release something newer and prettier in the next 2-3 months. Let's hope whatever comes out next still fits in a 1151 slot. That said worst gets to worse, if I am stuck with an 8700k that is kinda of shrug. There is always going to be a new sparkly thing round the corner and as I keep saying I don't think there will be enough innovation over the next 10yr so no stress.