Hero
Remulos

Constellation Aquila vs Terrapin + something

I currently have 2 Cutlass Black, 1 Constellation Aquilla and 1 Dragonfly. I've liked the look of the Terrapin since its announcement but I can't put any money into the game right now. Do you think it's a good idea to get rid of the Aquilla for a terrapin? Maybe swap the Aquila and one of the cutlass' for a terrapin and a hornet? 

I know the standard response is "depends what you want to do" but I'm not sure what I want to do or how many people I'll be able to do it with now I'm in Asia. 

Everything I have is either current & playable or due soon - unless they change their minds - (Cutlass Red - Dur). Not sure I see the benefit of a Terrapin compared to a DUR which seems more capable.

8 minutes ago, Bursar said:

Everything I have is either current & playable or due soon - unless they change their minds - (Cutlass Red - Dur). Not sure I see the benefit of a Terrapin compared to a DUR which seems more capable.

DUR is more useful overall as you can haul some cargo as well. Terrapin is for exploring in scary places where you are likely to come under fire.

If you really don't know what you plan to do in the game but you have a certain amount of $$ that you want to invest in supporting the development, then I'd say get one ship that you can enjoy playing around with during development (ie, the next two to three years), and spend the remainder on the biggest ship that interests you. The reason is that CIG has said that the big ships will be exponentially more expensive to buy with in game currency after the game is released.

But really I'd probably recommend just saving your $$ unless you feel strongly about supporting the game development. Part of the fun of buying a ship now is learning every detail you can about it and imagining how you'll be using it, so I feel like if you're not getting that benefit you're almost shorting yourself.

Another thought would be to buy a land claim if you feel like setting up and maintaining an outpost might be your cup of tea.

As far as the number of people you'll have to play with, I think there are a good number of SC players in Asia / Australia. Depending on the game play you prefer the latency with players in the US and EU may be an issue, but of course it shouldn't be an issue with other players in Asia / Australia.

5 hours ago, FriendCalledFive said:

DUR is more useful overall as you can haul some cargo as well. Terrapin is for exploring in scary places where you are likely to come under fire.

I went for the DUR because of its legs. Long range tanks, long range scanners, up to 4 crew and a bit of space for a vehicle. The Terrapin I just saw as somewhat limited compared to the DUR

38 minutes ago, Bursar said:

I went for the DUR because of its legs. Long range tanks, long range scanners, up to 4 crew and a bit of space for a vehicle. The Terrapin I just saw as somewhat limited compared to the DUR

After looking round the inside of the Terrapin I found it very bland inside, it doesn't feel like anything I could live in. Not being able to carry a land vehicle is too restrictive.

4 hours ago, FriendCalledFive said:

After looking round the inside of the Terrapin I found it very bland inside, it doesn't feel like anything I could live in. Not being able to carry a land vehicle is too restrictive.

It seems a very narrow tasked ship. Most likely more than capable, but highly defined and limited in flexibility - A very tough scout that cant run away easily. 1 bunk and possibly 2 crew. No cargo, no vehicle althogh the scanner looks promising, it'll have to be a LOT better than a DUR or Carrack to compete.