Hero
Remulos

Immersion up the wazoo

Because of my move to Thailand I had to get rid of my HOTAS setup and start learning mouse and keyboard again. Compared to the HOTAS it's really clunky, having to have my hand dart all over the keyboard to get to different functions seems so bad when I've spent all of my time in SC having a huge number of buttons close together on a joystick or throttle. While I probably wont get another HOTAS system until I move back to the UK in 4 years (I want to get a vkb HOSAS setup) I spent some time to get my Trackhat and Voice Attack setup recently and I love it! I got the HCS Vasco voicepack so I get to fly around and chat to Brian Blessed and it feels really cool to give voice instructions, receive a response and see them carried out. It's not perfect as the HCS people can't keep up with all the different keybindings and some of the systems in game aren't stable enough but what is there is reallllllllly cool.

Thanks for the post Remulos. I was planning on using Voice Attack in the future when we have  more of a game to play.  I don't  use the keyboard well, always have to look down, so it's good to hear that  VA works well. :-)

3 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

Thanks for the post Remulos. I was planning on using Voice Attack in the future when we have  more of a game to play.  I don't  use the keyboard well, always have to look down, so it's good to hear that  VA works well. :-)

If you do use it in the near future let me know, I added some custom commands and I'll share the profile. (I mostly wanted to add in some afterburner pushes because I'm lazy)

EDIT: I'm also beginning to explore with some evasive maneuvers using voice attack. I'm determined to never touch a keyboard haha

Edited by Remulos

My only issue with using voice attack is being on teamspeak at the same time. I know it should only listen to certain commands, but it might accidently trigger plus I doubt  people appreciate me yelling random commands while they are talking xD

For solo play though, yea voice attack is quite awesome

2 minutes ago, Akanoes said:

My only issue with using voice attack is being on teamspeak at the same time. I know it should only listen to certain commands, but it might accidently trigger plus I doubt  people appreciate me yelling random commands while they are talking xD

For solo play though, yea voice attack is quite awesome

I've bound push-to-talk (teamspeak) and push-to-mute (voice attack) to the same button on my mouse :)

Edit: Benji beat me too it

Edited by Remulos

11 hours ago, Remulos said:

Because of my move to Thailand I had to get rid of my HOTAS setup and start learning mouse and keyboard again.

I travel a decent amount so needed a fairly portable setup and I can't imagine dog-fighting with mouse and keyboard. I recently switched to a dual Thrustmaster T16000 setup because they are reasonably portable, affordable, easy to find if I need replacement (even here in Peru), stable and easy to place on a desk, and eliminate the need for rudder pedals due to the joystick twist.

Are they the best? Definitely not. But perfectly adequate and suitable for my needs.

18 hours ago, Benjamin_Smaridge said:

that's why push to take and push to mute are a thing, 

Push to talk in teamspeak and set the same key as a push to mute in voice attack so that it won't be listening when the button is pushed.

Good info guys.