Hero
Wolfwood

Used Video Cards. Worth it?

So, though various channels at work,  Someone who is getting out of crypto mining is selling their hardware and is offering this.

MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR 8GB OC is the card name.

Have original boxes and all materials. $250/ea or two for $450. They've been used for crypto mining and have operated for roughly ~8500 hours.

Working condition, smoke free environment, were actively cooled at around 90°F ambient.

Guaranteed not to be DOA, but otherwise as-is.

Currently, here is my setup.

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155

CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB

GPU : MSI Radeon HD 6950

The only thing that kinda puts me off is that they were crypto mining. I have a feeling that may be worse than overclocking for gaming. But wanted more opinions on this.

Edited by Wolfwood

Yea.. Don't know how much life is still left in them, but 8500 hours, would mean they've been running 24/7 for a full year.. So I'd say they's lost 2-3 years of normal use time.. I wouldn't go for it.

So, i feel like im getting conflicting answers from only 2 replies lol. 

Well, then ill need to get something new. Looking at this GTX 1060. If i *need* an i7, that will cost me another $250. :| And even that is just a stop gap unless i want to bite the bullet and do a full upgrade (cpu, mobo, ram, ect). But Really, at the moment, SC is the *only* game demanding more. All other games im playing havent really given me much (if any) issues. 

I'm not going to give a yes or no answer, but here's what you need to know to make a decision:

The actual core GPU can last essentially forever. The more it is overclocked the more likely that atomic "spurs" can form, but it is very rare for these tiny flaws to actually cause a failure. As long as the GPU didn't get killed by a voltage spike (and the seller guarantees it is not DOA), it is probably not significantly worse for the wear.

Capacitors and such on the graphics card *should* last a very long time too, but if particularly cheap ones are used they can eventually wear out. If the maker of the graphics card is reputable and uses quality parts then this isn't really an issue.

Heat (and particularly hot/cold cycles) can potentially damage the connections between between the GPU (and other semiconductors) and the graphics card. This is why you can find a bunch of videos on YouTube showing PC repair guys fixing computers by repairing these connections. Corrosion can also be a factor, especially if the computer was in a humid place or an area near salt water.

Turning electronics on and off repeatedly is about the worst possible thing you can do to them due to both temperature changes and voltage spikes. If a graphics card was on for an entire year it actually may be in better condition than a graphics card that was turned on and off every day even if it was only used an hour or so each day.

The number one concern is the fan. As a mechanical part, it is definitely prone to failure. You may need to replace the fan.

Overall, if the graphics cards were built using quality parts and kept on in a temperature controlled non-corrosive environment then they should last for many years, except for the fan which may well need to be replaced.

Personally I wouldn't buy GPU's that have been used for mining, but that said, I don't buy any computer stuff second hand!

I wouldn't buy 2 cards, SLI is more trouble than it is worth, and it doesn't work with SC currently. Your 4 thread CPU will be more of a bottleneck for the game than the 1070, but the 1070 is a nice card.

16 hours ago, FriendCalledFive said:

Personally I wouldn't buy GPU's that have been used for mining, but that said, I don't buy any computer stuff second hand!

I wouldn't buy 2 cards, SLI is more trouble than it is worth, and it doesn't work with SC currently. Your 4 thread CPU will be more of a bottleneck for the game than the 1070, but the 1070 is a nice card.

Right, but what about the new 1060 and i7 i linked? Curious if that would help enough to make it playable.

9 hours ago, Wolfwood said:

Right, but what about the new 1060 and i7 i linked? Curious if that would help enough to make it playable.

My secondary gaming rig has a 2600K and a GTX1060 6GB and when I tried it briefly the other day, it was running in the low 20's, it didn't make much difference whether it was on low or very high graphics (2560x1080). Was definitely playable. With the optimisations due by the end of the year, it should hopefully run pretty well on that level of hardware.

Right now I have a gtx 1070 with 8gb of video ram. And a 8 core i7. I get around 30 FPS right now. I am sure that number will improve when they actually start optimizing the game.

never buy used, components are infamous for their half life.

Well.. I bought a new 1060 gpu. While it has improved my other games, Star Citizen (PU) crashes harder than it did with my radion when i try to load it. Looks like im still not playing :(

You haven't messed with your swap space in a misguided effort to improve system speed, have you?

I've heard of several people who modified their swap settings instead of letting Windows manage it, and the result is a crash.

You review the SC logs at all? Sometimes they make it clear what is causing the crash.