Hero
Akanoes

Ship Shape - The RSI Apollo

Ship Shape breaks out on it's own! Host Jared Huckaby takes us on a tour of the ship making their way to the development pipeline with updates on the 890 Jump, the 300 series and an introduction to the new RSI Apollo medical ship.

7 hours ago, Bursar said:

Goody, a ship I dont want at last :) Have a Cutlass red which would appear to have 1/3rd of the capacity of the new one. Cant see any benefit for me here yet. Nice to see things moving along though :)

I was toying with the Cutlass Red for so long, but I picked me up a Guardian Angel! It looks like the USS Voyager out of Star Trek, so all it needs is Robert Picardo voicing an EMH and I am a very happy chappy.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:33 AM, Galaxy_Express said:

Cutlass red can only handle 1 Tier 3 damage att a time (lowest level of damage) vs Apollo: 2 Tier 1 damages at a time (highest level of damage), so dont count out the Apollo  :)

My understanding from the RTV was that they have not decided which medical tier the Cutlass Red will be able to handle. You are probably correct, but they could also potentially decide to have it handle tier 2. I'd bet real money that it will NOT be able to handle tier 1, though.

Edited by Drakin

As originally specified, the Cutlass had two beds. IF they are the lowest tier then the probability exists to be able to swap two out for 1 and get the middle level. That'd be adequate for my initial needs.

Cutlass has been described as an ambulance, So i'd expect it's options for heavier casualties are stabilising folk and hauling ass to a more capable facility.
Apollo on the other hand can be described as a "Clinic" with the option to do more with up to six T3 tables, or at MOST two T1 beds. -So you can either have an ambulence that hauls ass with 6 people at a time, Or if in a more remote area with engagements being few and far between, go for a more dedicated doctor playstyle.

The point I've seen here, entailing the notion that the cutlass seems more like a dedicated ambulance, compared to the 'Polly which can be a little more versatile in it's medical role.
Polly also has two variants as of yet, although the cutlass red -Is- a variant itself which may lead me to believe it is more of a one trick pony than it's counterpart.

I've already seen discussions of a Polly variant which would take samples of flora and fauna for research, replacing the beds with stasis tanks or something of the sort on spectrum.

Here are the current variants of Polly, Listing Physical differences.

Apollo Triage:                                                                           Apollo Medivac:

Length: 43                                                                                 Length: 43M
Width: 30                                                                                   Width: 30
Height: 10                                                                                 Height: 10
Max Crew: 2                                                                             Max Crew: 2
Armour: Medium                                                                     Armour: Heavy
Speed: 205 M/s                                                                       Speed: 195 M/S
Cargo: 28 SCU                                                                         Cargo: 28 SCU
Turrets: 1 Remote w/ 2X Laser cannons.                           Turrets: 1 remote w/ 2 Balistic Gatling's.
                                                                                                   Missiles: 2x S3 Missile Racks.

Red Stats Indicts Stats that differ from the other variant. 
RSI_Apollo_SalesIcons_Red_PJ01-Squashed.
RSI_Apollo_SalesIcons_White_PJ01-Squashe

Sources:
-The Video this thread is about,
-Medical Gameplay article, Rsi
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16671-The-Shipyard-Medical-Gameplay
-RSI Apollo Brochure.

I got the Medivac version. The red version of triage I won't lie looks cool, but to me the Medivac feels more ambulance coloured. It might be a bit slower, but considering my combat skills having the better armour is more up my alley (Haha I managed to kill an interdicting cutlass with my 85X, but I don't imagine the AI will always be as silly and me as very very lucky).

That the Apollo fits in my Hope  is also a tick in my box of why I bought it.  What has got me a bit stumped is what I am going to do with Apollo V.S Hope flying.

If all that is going to happen is a T.1 bed does everything it makes a hospital sized Hope quite a bit redundant and this also is made worse by the fact if players can respawn at  other med ships. I think that respawning really should be a luxury left up to an Endeavor Hope as it makes it special and well also has a damn hangar. The only consolation is if the respawning is taken away from being a Hope exclusive I might buy more components for the Endeavor and rejig it to being more science focused with the Apollo in the hangar.

I think that an Endeavor and Apollo will still be an amazing team, whether shuttling to the hospital or having your clinic ship working alongside a science ship. You can either way still treat the wounded and if it came to a fire fight you can get the Apollo into the Endeavor as fast as you can and rely on the Endeavor's shields, whilst you get the hell out of there.

Cutlass Red got replaced by Apollo for me because of the medical drones, size and ability to treat more people. I would be lying if it wasn't also an aesthetic reason haha it looks a bit USS Voyager ish.

How many of us have medical craft in Tactical Advance? Maybe if there is a lot of uptake for new medical craft we should make a medical wing. 

If we are all lucky just like the Terrapin, the Apollo will get fast tracked because I think squadron 42 will have great need for them. 

I'm thinking that the medical beds will have classes, just like components. So there may be a big difference between a class A tier 1 bed and a class D tier 1 bed. And I'd guess that the base hulls come with just class C beds, with the B and A being exponentially more expensive.

1 hour ago, Bursar said:

With the Cutlass being modular, I will work on getting the best bed in it I can. Even if it's a single bed. In my case, it's a fallback position for an emergency and not a direct route for gameplay.

Probably only needs to be a partial fall back if there are a bunch of us who have med ships. We won't be able to use all of them at once. Haha heres the keys, don't scratch the paintwork.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:57 AM, Bursar said:

With the Cutlass being modular, I will work on getting the best bed in it I can. Even if it's a single bed. In my case, it's a fallback position for an emergency and not a direct route for gameplay.

I've seen Multiple sources tell me it's a single t3 bed. Mainly all of the recent medical discussions and q & a's mentioned this. I think its going to be alot more manuverable than the apollo with a better arnament and likely a more "general" interior which would promote a sort of versatility, even if it's slight.

But also on the notion of a polly making the endeavour redundant....

I dont think it will. If I had a duo like that the Polly would immediately have t3 / t2 beds, for speedy evac of multiples and i'd put the two to rescue missions during org combats.

Now that I think about it in more depth, the apollo is either that "Two man space clinic on the fringes"  or that large ambulence.

Consider the case scenarios...

1- You want something to go about in, land in places and do yo' clinic thing. You want to be small, mobile, and profitable.  You wouldnt bring an endeavour to cure a small town. So Bam. Apollo.

2- You've got an endeavour and want an ambulence during combat. -Well. If you want something fast, zippy, and able to hit back, Get the cutlass. I doubt many ships would go down fast enough for one or two cutlasses to not keep up. Sure, the appollo can carry more. But you have to remember that this is a bigger ship, hauling more ass, and having to grab folks one or two at a time move to the next guy, pick him up, and so on. It's space combat, These fellows will be in the great black covering entire KM in their manuvuers.  -If you've got a good load of folks who cover eachother and dont drop off often, Cutlass here is supreme.in some aspects. 100%.

3- On the flip, If you're expecting ALOT of casulties in space, maybe an apollo, as it can carry more and if the air is thick enough with folk, you wont have far to travel to fill up with almost dead people. Assuming you've got 6 T3 Beds. Sustain, drag to an endeavour, Bam, repeat.

4- Just had a unit of fellows on the ground, a small squad etc, going up and down in atmousphere would be a pain for a cutlass, but bring in a polly, maybe with a t2x2 + t1x1 setup, you have a reasonable medic respawn that can handle saving some folks from moderate damage, or even sustain folks with major damage, if you already have a major damaged guy being healed. Throw it in rotation with the other guys in the unit, you have a stream of folks frogleaping forwards.

These arnt every eventuality, but a good jist of how to setup and think about these things.
Long story short, In many ways the cutlass can be trumped by an apollo, but at the same time, in others a cutlass can trump one in situations where numerics dont matter, only speed, and armament.  It seems the polly is more niched into the medical feild, but as a result, alot of the eventualities / scenario's that I can come up with for comparability suggest that it's also more versatile in that specific niche feild - As you'd expect. and can handle more than a cutlass.

Sidenote.

Medical gameplay is an enigma right now... Or rather, the notion of character death / respawn. I mean... How can they keep the game realistic and justify respawning in this game?
All I can think about is that agent smith concept we heard about.  The concept of a ship, Lets say a polly in this case, picking up a body / Npc, and treating them. A player somewhere has an unfortunate stroke of luck somewhere and dies, Then has the option to agent smith INTO that NPC you've just treated. He's both himself, and "the dude you just treated."

Upside:

-Free respawn.

-No real break in immersion.

-You've just switched out an NPC for an actual interaction with another player on your ship.

Downside:

-You have to ofcourse get an npc, or recover -a- body to treat, to get someone to agent smith into it. So if you go into a situation with an empty ship, How would someone spawn into it? this means that people respawning may not have the option to respawn at your ship, until you've actually done your job.

So perhaps in this instance, have two or so free respawns, to be able to have bodies / folks to treat, to continue that realistic vibe of "I found a guy, healed him, Now he is here."immersion, whilst providing that: "I just respawned in this ship" convenience.