Hero
FriendCalledFive

Crusader Mercury up for sale!

Ship Upgrades - Herald to Mercury Star Runner Upgrade
<shrug> maybe premature ship slide, with the info that I have however, the MSR feels its going to be a great daily driver for me.

tl;dr: I'm buying a Terrapin --> Mercury CCU.

I thought about possibly upgrading my Freelancer Max to the Mercury, but even though the Mercury has a cargo capacity that approaches that of the Max I decided that I still like the Max as a dedicated cargo ship. Also, the $140 value of the Max means I'd have to shell out more $$, whereas the Terrapin is already $220, so the CCU is only $5.

The Mercury has a scanning room so it appears to have the same scanning capability in that regard as the Terrapin. The Mercury is slightly faster at SCM than a Terrapin (215 m/s vs 210 m/s) however at max AB speed it is quite slower (1050 m/s vs 1205 m/s). The Mercury has 2 size M shield generators compared to the 1 size M shield generator on the Terrapin, but of course the Terrapin is quite a bit smaller and has much heavier armor. Beyond these things, I don't know if there is much worth saying... the Mercury seems to be better than the Terrapin in every other way while only costing $5 more.

With 96 SCU cargo space, Mercury has more cargo space than the base Freelancer (66 SCU) but less than the Freelancer Max (122 SCU). The weapons on the Freelancer appear to outclass the Mercury, with the Mercury having six size 2 guns and the Freelancer having two size 2 and four size 3. Interestingly, while both have a minimum crew of two, the Freelancer has a max crew of four while the Mercury only has a max crew of three. That seems a bit odd as there appear to be more tasks that need crew on the Mercury, but it looks like the Freelancer get the benefit of an extra bed.  The Freelancer is somewhat slower, with an SCM speed of 205 m/s and a max AB speed of 1005 m/s (compared to 215 m/s and 1050 m/s on the Mercury).

The last ship that seems to be relevant for comparison is, of course, the Herald. The Mercury seems to be better in just about every way except speed. The Herald just blows the Mercury (and everything else) away with its SCM speed of 235 m/s and max AB speed of 1360 m/s. The Herald is a small one man ship, however, so may still be more practical for a solo player and certain missions. Also it only costs $85, which seems reasonable.

Got a Freelancer MIS to Mercury Star Runner Upgrade, but waiting to use it, need some more info first

If the price hold to the anniversary sale I will get a ccu from my 600i explore to a Hercules M2, still got my Carrack, one explore must be enough :)

Then I just need a game packet from my buy back :)

oh and 1,25$ away from concierge

30 minutes ago, Yodel said:

Got a Freelancer MIS to Mercury Star Runner Upgrade, but waiting to use it, need some more info first 

Interesting decision. As I'm sure you know, the Mercury has only four size 2 missiles, whereas the Freelancer MIS has 32 size 2 missiles and four size 4 missiles.

EDIT: Looks like the missiles on the Mercury are actually just size 1, even though the racks are size 2. On the MIS the rack and missile sizes are identical.

Edited by Drakin

just purchased the ship, very happy a ship better than the terrapin while fulfilling the same roles came out!.

Its honestly a no brainer to me. The Terrapin is a nice little ship, but it belongs down in the $120 range of the price zone. When your spending close to $200 it needs to have enough beds for the crew, and some storage space to hold more than your toothbrush.

Now i can run info, cargo, data runs, and assist in attacks, all inside a roomy ship and not some depressing 2x2 box. (sorry terrapin lovers) Oh, and explore! i could fint tons of fuel pallets, collect tons of data, and the entire crew could sleep in the same shift!

9 hours ago, The_Director said:

just purchased the ship, very happy a ship better than the terrapin while fulfilling the same roles came out!.

Its honestly a no brainer to me. The Terrapin is a nice little ship, but it belongs down in the $120 range of the price zone. When your spending close to $200 it needs to have enough beds for the crew, and some storage space to hold more than your toothbrush.

Now i can run info, cargo, data runs, and assist in attacks, all inside a roomy ship and not some depressing 2x2 box. (sorry terrapin lovers) Oh, and explore! i could fint tons of fuel pallets, collect tons of data, and the entire crew could sleep in the same shift!

Am not sure it will do the same kind of scanning and exploration roles that the Terrapin can do though.

if thats true, thats so awesome!
Upgrade out of the Herald just to get it back annnd get a Freelancer?!

current build / Fleet is:
Sen (w/ package)
RED
Mercury (MSR)
Reclaimer

Since the Q&A we have a much clearer idea what the Mercury offers. Personally I am not a huge fan of the design, but that is subjective. In my mind it offers 75% of a Max in cargo hauling ability. Superior Herald Data Running & Terrapin levels of scanning. I recently CCU'd my Herald for the Vulture because I wasnt convinced about the gameplay. However, now we have all the details, i'm inclined to say the Mercury potentially offers a lot of multi tasking gameplay without a serious hit to payload. My Max has been CCU'd and I now have a Mercury :)

Isnt it a differential skin reward for telling the  uee or warning the smugglers? I Belive the skin is called Nightrunner or simething simular for uee and then something different for the smugglers skin...  Anyway i got the ship by defender uppgrade

and some store credit