Hero
Sign in to follow this  
solarfire

How to play SC with 8GB -16 of RAM

I got this of reddit  :-)

It seems that Windows 10 RAM management will not allocate enough space automatically to the swap file. This is what you have to do, I translated french terms into english, I hope you can find the settings.

In the file explorer, right click on the computer and click on properties, then advanced system settings. A window will popup. Then select the advanced system parameters, click on the Performance properties button. It will open another window. Go to the Advanced tab and click on the modify button in the virtual memory. It will popup another Window. Now you understand this operating system name. You need to open a lot of Windows to do what you want. Anyway, you have now access in to the virtual memory settings.

Uncheck the automatic management and select a drive with at least 11GB free. The best choice is a SSD not used by the game, the next choice is the SSD used by the game and the worst choice is a spinning hard drive. Once you selected the drive click on a personalized size and enter a minimum size of 11000 and a max of 11000 to 16000. If you have another swap file on a spinning disk, remove it.

I didn't reboot and the system took into account the setting. But maybe you should reboot after this.

Another trick I will advice is to re-copy your account to the PTU.

That is pagefile, not swapfile. Just leave it as system managed on an SSD and it will be fine. Messing about with it is pointless and will likely cause an issue down the line and lead to frustration caused by a change you will have forgotten about.

If it "fixed" your issue without you rebooting, then that had nothing to do with it as pagefile changes only take effect on reboot.

Edited by FriendCalledFive
Update