Hero
Bursar

Apology to the Connie.

I have a Connie as a Loaner for my upcoming Apollo, I thought - despite an unfavourable first impression - that I would give it a second chance.

The environment has changed, as have the requirements.

Initially two runs to Yela from Olisar & back with some cargo. 96 scu doesnt make much profit (675 per run). But I was actually quite impressed with some of it's characteristics.

1) Even fully loaded a Connie pulls very strongly out of atmosphere. Not fast, but very solid and climbs decently.

2) Quantum to Hurston didnt take too long and I went via one of the asteroid fields. On arrival I had used over half my fuel. This thing does have decent legs on it.

3) Pulling out of Hurston is a 100k climb. Three times the distance we have been used to. However the Connie was up to the job, solid and strong climbing all the way out of the atmosphere.

This hasnt mitigated it's obvious flaws. Poor handling, 96 scu on such a big ship or the very poor interior space compared to the exterior bulk. However, for what was asked of it today I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldnt buy one, but I can see in the right situation it will have a significant appeal.

In my case I have a Hercules C2 for "big cargo", a Mercury that comes with 96scu too and a much smaller, faster hull and for exploration a Dur. The Dur is about 75% as capable as a Connie and will go through small jump holes. No snub or vehicle, but a bike should slide in the back.

While it appears to be showing its age, it can still compete, so dont rule them out automatically. Do the numbers ;)

The Issue I have with most ships is that their play-sets are not fully developed, or the ships themselves are not fully baked.

(Begin rant)

Such as:

Connie - Great if you have a friend to do...? low storage, too slow & weak for a real dogfight, and there are better explorer ships out or make a fleet with the same cost as a connie.

Mercury Star-runner - (My ship) Does a little of everything, but the only ship to have a dedicated "hidden cargo compartment". This actually boils my blood a good bit, why make a "feature" that only ONE ship in the entire game has? Isn't there a ship line called pirates... err Drake? Its like if you were an customs inspector you would let everyone in except the mercury in because OF COURSE everyone would have that closet filled with something! (sarcasm in full effect) Its nice that they are adding this feature, but If your telling me that they will now go and fix every other ship to have hidden spots... I don't know. Maybe if development takes another 5 years... But I do like the Mercury since its better than...

The Terrapin! (my last ship) a small ship that costs $100 more than its worth.

1. Its a small ship that costs $220. You can get a level 2 Connie for $5 more! or 2 cutlass with some change to spare! and don't tell me that it can out fight or out smart more than 1 ship at a time lol

2. No cargo space other than carry-on. Again you payed how much?

3. One bed FOR A CREW OF TWO! (I don't think there are any other ships that break this rule!) how much $$$?

4. While the radar feature is not finished ofc. this is not an exploring ship. Its an fleet scout ship and I think there was some degree of bad advertising which lead me to believe it was.

Sure the terrapin might just wow us when the features go live. But I doubt it. The Freelancer has a larger radar btw. And beds. And storage to hold an extra radar or two for you.

The Hawk. Its a cool looking ship, but I don't think its very good for actual bounty workers. Get an Avenger instead, thats a real bounty vessel. (Features pending ofc)

Any ship with a cargo ramp that cannot carry a ground vehicle. To me its real simple. If you need a CARGO ramp to move supplies then it should be able to carry a car. And the ground vehicles so far are not that large. 

(End of rant)

That all being said! SQ42!!!!! It just might happen in our lifetimes!

4 hours ago, Bursar said:

I have a Connie as a Loaner for my upcoming Apollo, I thought - despite an unfavourable first impression - that I would give it a second chance.

The environment has changed, as have the requirements.

Initially two runs to Yela from Olisar & back with some cargo. 96 scu doesnt make much profit (675 per run). But I was actually quite impressed with some of it's characteristics.

1) Even fully loaded a Connie pulls very strongly out of atmosphere. Not fast, but very solid and climbs decently.

2) Quantum to Hurston didnt take too long and I went via one of the asteroid fields. On arrival I had used over half my fuel. This thing does have decent legs on it.

3) Pulling out of Hurston is a 100k climb. Three times the distance we have been used to. However the Connie was up to the job, solid and strong climbing all the way out of the atmosphere.

This hasnt mitigated it's obvious flaws. Poor handling, 96 scu on such a big ship or the very poor interior space compared to the exterior bulk. However, for what was asked of it today I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldnt buy one, but I can see in the right situation it will have a significant appeal.

In my case I have a Hercules C2 for "big cargo", a Mercury that comes with 96scu too and a much smaller, faster hull and for exploration a Dur. The Dur is about 75% as capable as a Connie and will go through small jump holes. No snub or vehicle a bike will slide in the back.

While it appears to be showing its age, it can still compete, so dont rule them out automatically. Do the numbers ;)

Oh boy is that climb out of Hurston noticeable, I really feel bad for the starfarers and reclaimers. My 600i crawls out of the atmosphere at about 140 or 220, something really slow.  It's quite funny I always thought I would love a connie before I actually got playing Star Citizen the love faded. The Aquila's bridge had me keen, but then after trying both that and the 600i, I really became a 600i fan. Love the field of view and even the lumbering manoeuvres.  Does everything I need solo. 

Don't get me wrong the connie is a great little jack of many trades.

An important thing to remember though and might have both of us change our mind is these new flight mechanics are on their way. It  might surprise everyone and make a huge difference. 

It's a shame the connie series and 600i series are just a little too small to pocket an 85x for atmospheric transfers. I think that would make a game changer now we are getting a feel for what planets are going to be like. Small craft really will rule the skies and perhaps medium size ships will  maybe want to stay in space were they rule. 

So far enjoying the free flight weekend to figure out what kind of ships I enjoy flying. So far I don't like flying the bigger multi crew ships. They just to slow for me and I feel lonely flying them. Looking forward to the Aegis event. Really want to test the Sabre before I decide to buy it. 

4 hours ago, Hallgrimd said:

So far enjoying the free flight weekend to figure out what kind of ships I enjoy flying. So far I don't like flying the bigger multi crew ships. They just to slow for me and I feel lonely flying them. Looking forward to the Aegis event. Really want to test the Sabre before I decide to buy it. 

The bigger ships are all about capability. Size & capability scale together. Some ships will seem big and empty, typically anything ive got that takes more than 3 crew (Starfarer). Having said that, if it's just down to piloting for cargo, size isnt that much of an issue.