Hero
Aemon

Question about Headsets and Mics

Hello all.  Long time org member, but I haven't been very active yet.  I have been following Star Citizen for a long time, but until this last week, have not had a rig to play the game well at all.  Well, I am all updated and can run the game quite well and am enjoying it for the first time.  I have wanted to get more involved with the org for some time now, but without being able to play it just wasn't something I really had the opportunity to do.

My question is about mics and headsets.  I am an older gamer and am used to text chat in most multiplayer games.  I've not had any experience with voice chat in games.  I have discord and have tried it with an old headset and it kinda worked alright, but I'd like to purchase something better.  Do you all have any recommendations of what you use while playing Star Citizen and other online games?

Also, do I just need the headset and discord?  Do I need another program to use this while playing Star Citizen?  Is there some "Multiplayer Voice for Dummies" info I need?

Thanks for all the help and sorry for what may be a silly question.  I hope to get to know you all better soon!

Thanks!

hello, im kinda in the same boat  I need a new head set. right now I have astro A40's. I'v had them for about 10 years and love them but the right ear cup fads out sometimes. 

I am going to be getting a audio technical head set with out mic and a blue yeti mic. this one will cost about $200 .

if your looking for something cheap that your not worried about braking there are plenty of good head sets out there. 

ps. al lot of us are on teamspeak 3

I have the Logitech G930, which is a wireless headset. One of the rods connecting to the speaker snapped about 6 months ago but the second rod is still holding out just fine. I think I've owned if for two years now. 

The battery is ok, lasts about 5 hours before it needs recharging. Not the best at sound and the "bass boost" is pathetic. 

If your the guy with a load of cash and appreciate high quality sound, go Bose. Otherwise TA's advise is good too :D

I mean it's on the expensive side, but I've been using a nice pair of Turtle Beach Z-300's for about 5 years now and they still work wonderfully. Excellent sound quality and mic quality. They've survived multiple trips over the pacific as well. I'm actually surprised since other turtle beach products which I've owned in the past have crapped out on me after a short while. For me, the Z-300's work great, but it might be that I got extremely lucky here. (This means I recommend with a grain of salt)

I suspect I am one of the older ones around here (51). I also wear hearing aids usually. I have lost about 40% of the treble part of my hearing - probably too many weekeneds in Ibiza in the 80's ;)

These days I like something with plenty of clarity and as little weight as possible.

I went for these because they are designed for telephony - not gaming. I dont need the bass boosting - actually the opposite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HWEZGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you all for the suggestions! It is appreciated!

Going to take some time to look through these and see what may work best for me.  Hopefully I'll be playing with you all soon.

Thanks!

Am personally using the RoG Centurion 7.1 headset. for sound, and a blue yeti standalone mic, as the microphone, despite the price of the overall headset, is lacking. The comfort and sound coming from the headset itself is amazing, and also comes with it's own soundcard, with plenty of options. 

10 hours ago, solarfire said:

Personally i like AKG :-)  The Sennheiser Game one  is overpriced for what you get and they feel a bit  flimsy ;) if you gona spend that kind of money then go for better quality :) ps: Sennheiser  HD280 Pro are very good quality but no mic :wacky:

https://www.akg.com/Professional Headsets

The  Sennheiser Game One are sold as a rock this is why I like them also the boom is solid unline some headset with the stupid wire boom.

On 12/10/2018 at 5:45 PM, Tactical Advance said:

I have the Sennheiser Gameone https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/game-one I know quite a few people who have them on them on TS, epic mic and awesome sound.

Before this I had the Sennheiser 360 for 5 years great headphones.

I would 100% recommend the Sennheiser Gameone

MIC example

How are they for comfort? I'm quite happy with my Sades headsets as far as sound quality and such, but after several hours on my head my left ear always starts to hurt (always the left ear for some reason!?!?). I want to get some over-ear headsets that do not TOUCH my ears AT ALL... in other words the covers needs to be big enough and the padding strong enough to keep the headsets from even slightly rubbing against my ears. Will the Sennheiser do this? (No, I don't have giant ears or anything... but the left ear seems to be particularly sensitive to even the slightest pressure).