Hero
Sign in to follow this  
The_Director

Hardware choices

Hello all,

I am looking at upgrading my PC for its next round of hardware, last year was adding 2 new water coolers for my CPU + GPU, and this year is when I ditch DDR3 and upgrade to a new CPU + motherboard.

That being said, I would love some advice on the best combo at the best price.

Right now I am looking at the I7-9700, however I am wondering if the i7-8700 would work just as well...

I currently have an i7-4760k @ 4.0 GHZ, so any upgrade will be a huge boost in performance.

I also need a new motherboard, and would love to hear your suggestions on what you like!

My workload is ofc games, but I also do large amounts of 3d rendering, which is mostly GPU based nowadays. 

I am not against going team red, but I would like to hear about anyone's thoughts first.

Ty

T_D

Asus for Motherboards - Not the cheapest, but rock solid. I always go for the ROG models.

Suspect you'd be better off with the 8700 over a 7900 too. Look at the cores and threading numbers.

OC Intel® Core™ i7-8700K 3.7GHz OC @ max. 4.7GHz   12MB Cores/ Threads 6  6/6 Total 12      
OC Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 3.60GHz OC @ max. 4.9GHz   12MB  Cores/ Threads 8 8/0  Total 8  

4 hours ago, Bursar said:

Asus for Motherboards - Not the cheapest, but rock solid. I always go for the ROG models.

Suspect you'd be better off with the 8700 over a 7900 too. Look at the cores and threading numbers.

OC Intel® Core™ i7-8700K 3.7GHz OC @ max. 4.7GHz   12MB Cores/ Threads 6  6/6 Total 12      
OC Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 3.60GHz OC @ max. 4.9GHz   12MB  Cores/ Threads 8 8/0  Total 8  

I edit your max to the correct figures both will overclock to 5ghz and if you lucky 5.2ghz