Hero
Aquila

Future Star Citizen PU

I'm curious if anybody in Tactical Advance played Eve Online, and if they think that Star Citizen will have crazy politics and conflicts on that scale once the PU is fully up and running?

I never played Eve. But from what I hear and have seen in videos. I say it want be as bad as Eve, but it will have a lot of conflict and will have a lot of politics. But the limited factor will be the NPC's. UEE would wipe out full Org's and it would not even be much of a fight. Even Large player orgs will be out numbered and outgunned by NPC pirate groups running areas and NPC companies. Unlike Eve we are not the big dogs running 100's of start systems.

What we will have is groups like PACT, where Org's group together for defence and offensive options. Also for trade and financial gains. Letting us make more money faster and get stronger ready for when we need to defend our interests. Because at some point we will need to and I think it will not be that long in to the game. Where Orgs or groups of Orgs will try and see who they can push about, and get to do what they want. I think we should stop them even trying as soon as we can. If that a show of force or a full on attack on them.      

So I don't think we be fighting for control of start systems. I think we be more fighting for areas in start systems. But that more down to size and time to travel. But I see Orgs and groups of Orgs with 10's of thousands of members fighting over stuff. With probably 10's of thousands of hired NPC helping in the fighting. Spread over multiple systems attack resupply point, convoys and any group of ships that moves to far away from the main force. 

I used to play eve for years. Was a logistics officer for CVA during the reclamation in providence and being in the military made it feel like having a second job most of the time. Ben Croshaw (Yatzee) was pretty spot on when he called Eve Online a "2nd job that you have to pay for."

I will say though, I'm looking for the player economics and politics of Eve to mesh with the flying and pace of Star Citizen. My dream game.

I played EVE Online for twelve years or so, fun in battles large and small. As mercenaries, we basically ran around executing contracts for folks willing to pay for control of star systems and/or system resources. The video below is a random example and told from our opponents comms' and perspective, involving about three hundred pilots total on both sides. Let's just say TeamSpeak was difficult to keep in order from time to time with that many folks on. Believe it or not this was one of the smaller engagements for system control we experienced. 

Always outnumbered, many of our strategies focused on single decisive engagements to break the will of our opponents to fight. Before this battle, we were able to collect considerable intel on our adversaries and feigned weakness so they would commit all the remaining forces they had available to defend the system we were attacking. Once they put all chips on the table, we moved in two heavy groups from multiple directions on the entry wormhole (where the video link begins). Once convinced they could bring no other ships to the field, we destroyed the hostile logistics (guardians) and just started causing massive financial loss until they retreated.

They had a spy listening in on our comms' (par for the course in eve), so they did eventually call my ship on the field primary target (Max) hearing me directing the fleet and target calling. We were listening to them as well, so our logistics was ready to dedicate some ships to keep me alive.

It is doubtful we will see this many ships on the field in Star Citizen, but I do hope electronic warfare and other features will be in place to encourage strategic/tactical play and not just make it about who has more guns in a fight. We shall see!