Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfwood

Mega peripherals thread

So don’t know if this will be approved, but I was hoping to get a mega thread together of all the more unique and maybe less mainstream peripherals that may have a place in Star Citizen setups that some of us may not know is an option to us. I’m not going to include every joystick and HOTAS set, but any that may not be mainstream, is welcome. I've tried to post as many weird/helpful things as i could find. If you find any more, please post them so we can all benefit from knowing they exist :)

VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle (as well as their various grips)
vpc-201_27.pngvpc-007_05.png

VKB Stand-Alone Grips
VKB_MCG-Pro_01.jpg?fit=1024,768&ssl=1

GameSir GK100 Gaming Keypad
GK100_1.jpg?v=1529760526

MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

velikaslika.png

VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV

T-RudderMK4_5_small_blackbox.jpg?fit=1024,1024&ssl=1

Slaw Device also makes pedals, but has no site as he makes them to order. Its all metal construction. Not sure im allowed to post his email here. 
JT3A0551-980x653.jpg

Blackhog Control Pannel

Frontal_mini.jpg

Logitech/Saitek Heavy Equipment Side Panel
farm-side-panel.png

Elgato Stream Deck
81xx0eawMkL._SL1500_.jpg

ignitiON Button Box Controller (has various layouts)

0PS4-NA1LED-2T.jpg?1545277116

Home Made Button Box (how to build guide and parts list video as well)
maxresdefault.jpg

Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

11250-highres3.jpg

CH Multi Function Panel

91lQpd1aw5L._SX679_.jpg

Game Glass (as seen on Tactical Advance)
sl2qnzbr3ownqjxq0ufj.jpg

Edited by Wolfwood
Added MFD pannels from TM and CH.

If you are creating a non-mainstream devices list than remove Virpil, VKB and MFG because they are definitely well known. The only reason why they are not as common as other devices is because of their production scale. Virpil is picking up quite well (at least compared to a couple years ago) whereas VKB has had a bit more issues in the recent past.

If want to make a more comprehensive list instead, then you can add the TM MFD. I have three for the F/A-18 and they are quite effective, especially for their price.

The control boxes and panels you have linked and embarassingly overpriced (like, apple level overpriced. Not as the apple stand though lol), I strongly advise everyone against buying them. Build them yourself with Arduino, leo bodnar or similar. You can easily save at least 70%-80% of the cost and you learn something in the process.

10 hours ago, Karon said:

If you are creating a non-mainstream devices list than remove Virpil, VKB and MFG because they are definitely well known.

They maybe well known with Sim players, but they are not mainstream. Thrustmaster, Saytek, Logitech, THOSE are mainstream brands. Brands and products *most* gamers have at least heard of. Even with that, they may have devices (like the farming control box) that are not themselves mainstream. This is based on someone like me, who may have been out of playing any kind of sim or game that would use special control devices outside of the most ultra common ones (such as game pads, or cheap flight sticks).

I had to dig around a bit to find the brands you mentioned which to me, means they are certainly not mainstream to most people.

As far as the control boxes, they maybe overpriced (and i did link a DIY control box), but at the very least, it gives people (like me) an idea of the control methods of what is Possible. But i will add the MFD's. I'm trying to stay off items you can easily find on Amazon, but those and the gaming side keyboards aren't likely to be considered by most.

So basically, if someone new to the game is looking for equipment and just did the most basic thing of going on Amazon or Newegg and buying a basic cheap HOTAS, and is looking for something Beyond that, that is what this thread is for.

But i will add the MFD's. I'm trying to stay off items you can easily find on Amazon

Just FYI, Amazon is the easiest place to get the TM MFDs since they are quite often on offer (like in this very moment on UK, 9% off).

I bought my Virpil T-50 on Amazon more than two years ago. It has only recently closed when they relocated (at least partially) to LT.

I had to dig around a bit to find the brands you mentioned which to me, means they are certainly not mainstream to most people

Mate, I googled "high end HOTAS" and the first result is about VKB and Virpil. I tried with "flight sim HOTAS" and the first article has VKB in one of the best. I gave it a third shot with "best hotas star citizen" and the second result has two VKB models inside. reddit r/hotas is full of them.

It's really hard to miss them. What have you searched?

That being said, If you are looking for more peripherals for your post, take a look at the whole set of non-HOTAS devices made by Saitek (I have a TPM and a Quadrant) and the CH MFP (old but still good). Also, you didn't mention CH at all, although they make the best entry-level Pedals excluding the ubiquitous MFG (which are more expensive) and two of the most sturdy joysticks ever made (CH Pro Throttle and CH Fighterstick). They are also easy to modify if you really die for hall sensors.

Bonus points if you mention Komodo Simulations btw :)

If you plan to add recommendation, be clear about Saitek: it's not a good investment unless is either pre-madcatz or Logitech. Chances of getting a defective product are impressive for the products made in that timespan and some pre-Logitech Saitek products are still on the market so be very careful. I'm not sure Logitech will honour the warranty on old units, I read that a number of customers had issues (at least in EU they are forced by the Union customer rights).

The Warthog instead is a mixed bag. Good throttle although the TDC is quite rubbish (in fact there are plenty of mods and even third party sellers) but the gimbals of the base are the worst thing possible on a product of this price range: it seems a great product if you come come low-end products but at the certain point the limitations of its gimbals start haunting you.

Even worse, TM is working on a F/A-18 grip instead of improving their mediocre base (and that's quite a shame since the A-10C metal grip feels great – except in winter time). At least their new TPR seems good. Anyway, a great solution is a TM Grip + VKB base (needs adaptor) or Virpil (plug&play).

Well, i didnt search  for "high end" hotas. Only hotas. Maybe my mistake, but if i can make it, so will many others. I'm not sure how experienced you are with flight sim stuff, but my point for this thread is to present (which i feel i haven't described well enough) isn't necessarily to list, absolutely everything.... though.. i may just end up doing that anyway to avoid further confusion. I just didnt want to put garbage joysticks in here as well (like the ones you mentioned, earlier Saitek and the Warthog). So i will go a head an see if i can gather more stuff and organize the post better. I will just say, in my personal experience in searching for controls for Star Citizen, it took me a while to stumble across VKB and Virpil. SlawDevice pedals were the first hint of "high end" controls i ever found, and given you can only order by emailing him, and he only showcases his stuff though Facebook, i assumed there wasn't any proper manufacture making high end stuff, thinking the TM warthog and CM were the "highest end mass produced" (which is why i didn't include either of them in this list originally, but will add them).

On 6/5/2019 at 8:38 AM, Karon said:

I bought my Virpil T-50 on Amazon more than two years ago

Whoa.. really? Bummer it isnt there anymore :(

That being said, If you are looking for more peripherals for your post, take a look at the whole set of non-HOTAS devices made by Saitek

You're talking about the Switch Panels and such, aren't you? I thought about those. But those seem very specific for flight sim games, but i can add them to the list anyway. I just dont want to add things that would be insanely difficult to use with the game, and im not sure how those controls actually work (if they work as their own device, or just simulate keyboard controls).

If you plan to add recommendation, be clear about Saitek:

Yeah, that Equipment panel wasnt so much an enforcement for the brand as much as an idea of what *could* be done. But I linked to the Logitech page, for what that is worth.

The Warthog instead is a mixed bag. Good throttle although the TDC is quite rubbish (in fact there are plenty of mods and even third party sellers) but the gimbals of the base are the worst thing possible on a product of this price range: it seems a great product if you come come low-end products but at the certain point the limitations of its gimbals start haunting you.

Even worse, T

Heh, even with my more 'basic' searching, I heard & read stories about the Warthog being unreliable. Should i still include it in this list?

Anyway, a great solution is a TM Grip + VKB base (needs adaptor) or Virpil (plug&play).

I keep going back and forth for what i personally want. I'm leaning toward VKB GF2 MCG pro, with Virpril T-50CM Throttle, & Crosswind Pedals to start with. Then either making or buying some kind of 'button box'/ switch panel.

Bonus points if you mention Komodo Simulations btw

I'd never heard of them.. Will look into it.

Please, feel free to post links to other things that you think should be here. :)