Hero
Drakin

Mantis fits in Polaris

My first thought with regard to the new Mantis was that I'll let *someone else* in the org get one, because I have no interest in initiating an interdiction only to immediately become the primary target for whomever was snared. The Mantis itself has rather weak weaponry.

However, I may have to change my mind now. It looks like the Mantis will fit in the Polaris.

See this post on Spectrum: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/mantis-size-compare

source.png

Suddenly I see possibilities...

The problem with this ship, is that it exemplifies the "fishermans" quandary. You throw your lure out and wait to see what happens. No idea what you will get, if anything. I think it will be a very niche ship that is of limited use. Potentially because of it's limitations, it will also need support - on an unquantifiable amount.

2 hours ago, Bursar said:

The problem with this ship, is that it exemplifies the "fishermans" quandary. You throw your lure out and wait to see what happens. No idea what you will get, if anything. I think it will be a very niche ship that is of limited use. Potentially because of it's limitations, it will also need support - on an unquantifiable amount.

It definitely needs support, as it can't really defend itself against much.

CIG has mentioned in the past that they plan to have some sort of game mechanic where you can scan for QT signatures, so presumably at some point there will be some basis behind why you set out your "net" in a specific location. Tracking such QT signatures probably also requires additional specialized support, though.

The Polaris can offer both the muscle to defend the Mantis, and also potentially the long range sensor support, so offhand it seems like a pretty good match to me.

A lot depends on future developments, though.