Hero
Tactical Advance

RTX2080TI Star Citizen 3.7

I've been sitting on the fence. I currently have a 980Ti - it has provided solid reliable service for over 3 years now. I am still currently getting 30-50 fps in Star Citizen. I have been unconvinced by the 20** series and decided to wait until I see another generation appear. Hopefully performace will improve further and costs wont be horiffic.

New generations of both new AMD CPUs/GPUS and Nvidia GPUs are to be released at CES (a couple of weeks away) and July at the latest. A motion that new hardware always comes out and you should buy whenever could be made, but this release of AMD CPUs is the one where they are expected to be at least as quick (frequency-wise) as Intel's desktop flagships. Nvidia will also update their lineups and this time not expected to release cr*p-cards (incremental performance) as they switch to the Ampere architecture.

Even if you are on a slightly limited budget this is also good news as most e-tailers will scramble to dump the prices on the former generation hardware.

Personally I'm going to force myself to wait to July/August before I drop the hammer on a completely new gaming rig.

7 hours ago, Bursar said:

I've been sitting on the fence. I currently have a 980Ti - it has provided solid reliable service for over 3 years now. I am still currently getting 30-50 fps in Star Citizen. I have been unconvinced by the 20** series and decided to wait until I see another generation appear. Hopefully performace will improve further and costs wont be horiffic.

I getting around 90-140fps in SC with the 2080ti